1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News THQ opens online store

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Oct 2011.

1. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

As long as they don't start pulling their games from other services, I don't have a problem with it since it's just an extra option to consider when buying.
    What I don't want is another Origin/Steam, especially if it only features their own products.

2. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

@BIGBUD ah cheers that's that sorted then :)

Isn't it crazy how you can save a tenner buying the physical version from a 3rd party retailer when the publisher has their own digital store? I understand there is a backend cost but they really look like they are taking the piss. If they want people to use their new service they should do a good deal! This goes for both the EA and THQ stores.

Such a shame at least one idiot will buy it from origin.

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Origin pre-orders of BF3 got two days early access to the beta. Yes, some people will pay 10 bucks to get two days of gameplay that gets erased before the actual launch. Why? I don't know.

4. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Aaaaaaaa like I've always said, there's nothing like having a BOX with a GAME DVD in it that you OWN and can install as many times as you LIKE cos its YOURS. The end.

5. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

I am too tired to write a constructive post, so I will just say that this seems like a pile of crap and will order from it if and when hell freezes over.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Except that these days if you buy a physical copy you end up having to sign up for some online service anyway, be it GFWL, Rockstar Social, Need for Speed series has some weirdo Account thing too, then many games require a permanent internet connection anyway, plus there is the issue of release day patches, which often result in you downloading several 100MB of data to play anyway, so might as well go the digital download route to start with.

7. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Discs?!?!? LOL, only in the BT forums could i hear disc partisans, LOL!!!!!!!

8. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

If I had a better connection I would def use digital distibution more but mine sucks.

All night to download Dirt 3 :sigh:, but I shouldn't complain google was kind enough to give me the Steam code for free, shhhhhhhhh ! :naughty:

9. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

and you, my friend, are part of the excuse these companies use for their DRM.

shame on you, sir. shame on you.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Publishers think that with their own digital store they can charge as much as the retail stores, not realising that people are bargain hunters at best, and mooching ****ers at worst.

They'll wake up eventually.

11. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Once again, bit-tech.net does its diligent job of not linking to sources or, in this case, the store in question. Bravo, guys.

Also, this "new" store is exactly the same as the old one. Even the layout is similar. The only thing that has changed is the branding. The "extended download service" crap has been there for years.

As for Space Marine being gone from Steam, as far as I know it was never released on Steam in the UK for some reason or other. I've heard other Relic games have faced similar issues, possibly due to backroom deals with brick and mortar stores.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2011
  12. OmniXVII

OmniXVII What's a Dremel?

Umm, only incredibly late on their part. I've dedicated too much money into Steam games for me to switch around with other digital distributors.

13. joolz1

joolz1 What's a Dremel?

i thought there was a thread for BF3 :p

14. ec928

ec928 What's a Dremel?

What are you asking for? Everyone stop competing with steam? It's called competition - look it up.

15. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

It was never available for UK users of Steam, so I bought a physical copy from Game, entered the code into Steam and installed it that way. How does that help Steam? They are getting no money from me, but I'm downloading from their servers? Something wrong there.

16. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

And how exactly does "going the digital download route" help with any of this?
    • Games that demand constant online connections will still demand them (best way to deal with them is to simply not buy them).
    • Patches still have to be downloaded - and because they're managed by the digital download system (and possibly even customised to your install) you probably won't be able to make a backup copy which means redownloading when you reinstall.
    • Systems that patch automatically mean you lose control over your game (and even system) configuration - the result can be games being rendered unplayable due to buggy updates or using incompatible mods. Doing things manually gives you the choice to avoid problem updates ("if it ain't broke...").
    • Most digital download stores tie your purchases to an account - if that account is disabled your games no longer function (Steam is particularly noteworthy for this - some examples here, here, here, here and here).
    • Systems that patch automatically could be used to transmit malware if the store's security is ever cracked (the Playstation Network security breach being an example - user data was compromised but it could have been used to turn PS3s into a global botnet).
    • Digital download systems that involve constant (or near-constant, like Steam) Internet access can track and record your gaming activity. Most users seem to see this as a benefit ("I can see what my friends are playing - w00t!") but such data can also be mined (to identify favourite game genres and offer a "special discount" for similar games - that discount actually being a higher price) or sold onto others.
    Now there are digital distributors that don't have the downsides listed above - DRM-free stores like GOG and independent stores like Shrapnel's GamersFront, but they're very much in the minority.

Tags: Add Tags