1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Whats the best way to look after a SSD

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by joolz1, 8 Oct 2011.

1. joolz1

joolz1 What's a Dremel?

Hi any info on instaling Windows 7 & pro's / con's of looking after a SSD plz would appreciate it ,)

2. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Move the page file to something that's not the SSD - set the page file to a static size (always a good option) - don't defrag your disk.

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

pagefile to a static size used to be ok, not so much these days, but i agree move pagefile to a harddrive, but if i remember rightly, win7 if it detects ssd will disable pagefile on the ssd

4. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

Hmm I don't think so, I've just checked and I have a 6GB pagefile on my M4.

5. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Surely Pagefile on an SSD = speedy PC?

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you are correct, oh and just found this write up, which states pagefile on ssd is fine

7. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Page file will default to some % of your RAM, putting it on your SSD will just wear your SSD down due to more read/write cycles hitting it for no real reason.

Page files themselves are a tad pointless now anyway as most systems have 6GB+ of RAM and if you run out of that you're probably doing something wrong :)

Static pagefiles are a good idea as they stop fragmentation of the drive they're sitting on - the size of said static file should be calculated by using sysinternals process monitor and seeing how much it thinks it needs. Or, if running databases on your computer -> should be the same size as your RAM. I usually set mine to 2GB (static) and have had no issues, it probably doesn't even need to be that big but i'm too lazy to work out how big it needs to be ;) (16GB ram in my system)

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It pretty much looks after itself under Windows 7! Just don't stress about it too much and enjoy the great speed.

Also and idea to run the 'Windows Experience Index' as that optimises settings around an SSD somewhat.

9. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Well....no.

Pagefiles are integral to Windows and the many programs that are written to utilise them. They are very important for error reporting given no-one runs ECC or FB memory in their home systems. That's a good enough reason on it's own.

10. joolz1

joolz1 What's a Dremel?

Great thx very much for your comments guys niceone;)

11. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

This thread contains much yummy info and explanations of ideal setups + how tos.

12. joolz1

joolz1 What's a Dremel?

Thx Neil ,)