1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Show me your... NAS/Server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Votick, 12 Aug 2011.

1. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

Does the box have a dedicated hardware RAID card or does it use Intel's onboard ICHxR RAID? The latter is unsupported by VMware so you'll either have to fork out for a proper RAID card or do sone funky stuff like I did at first and map your drives as raw to a VM, then do softRAID and share back as iSCSI - or you can do away with RAID and just run separate spindles.

Re: NICs, AFAIR my Realtek NIC wasn't supported OOTB with vSphere 4 - not sure what the HCL is like for 5 though. If in doubt, fork out £20 or so and buy an Intel PRO/1000 :)

Other than that, what saspro said :)

2. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

maybe this would be better to post in hardware section but since the topic is NAS' I ask here anyways.

I want a Server/NAS to store backup of my home pc's a few laptops and a few desktops (complete images), and file backup (pics, docs, music, etc...) I also want to be able to stream media (up to 1080p buray mkv's) to any computer in the house. I was thinking of building my own server/nas instead of buying a prebuilt one.

This is the hardware I was thinking of.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153212
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148191
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/150W-PicoPS...=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item2566b81b3b

I was thinking of going with Windows Home Server.

For hard drives I would like to be able to at first just use my hard drive I have now (1tb, 2x250gb) and then later on get some 2tb to add to it and eventually only have 2tb drives. I am not sure I really need RAID. But im not sure what exactly woudl be the best way to do this. I want my DVD/Bluray collection ripped onto the server, but if for some reason a hdd dies and that data gets lost I can always re-rip it. For important stuff like pictures though I can just do a backup onto DVD/BluRay.

What you think about that?

And should I run a cheap 30GB SSD for a OS drive for the server/nas?

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

It's not even using RAID at the moment, it's just a bunch of discs that are shared on the network as individual hidden shares and I occasionally back up important folders of the NAS to them. I might have an Intel NIC lying around here somewhere - it'd be 10/100 though, not gigabit which would be teh suck on an "approaching all-gigabit" network. Like you said though, I could just get a cheapie Intel gigabit one if it's a problem.

4. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

So, here's my NAS (and gigabit switch and N access point..
    [​IMG]

ReadyNAS NV with a 2TB Samsung F4 in it. Does the job.

5. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

G4 Mac Mini 1.5
    80Gb HDD, 1Gb Ram
    1 WD MyBook 1Tb
    1 WD Elements 1Tb/
    1 Belkin USB Mac Mini hub

No pictures, but its sat atop my 2.1 sub, with the hard drives next to it - not perfect but it works...

6. -=ice=-

-=ice=- What's a Dremel?

The Atom Server Of Doom...

[​IMG]
    Hard to see, but the case is of such quality the front USB ports are upside down!
    Needs a dusting too.

Atom D510
    2GB RAM
    60GB 2.5in system drive
    1TB 3.5in data drive

waiting for 3TB drive to drop a bit more in price then it'll get more space.

Runs Arch serving the usual suspects as well as minidlna for my new TV serving movies etc., motion with a webcam pointing at the drive detecting motion, lcd4linux with system stats connected to an arduino which is emulating a matrix orbital display.

It also runs a minecraft server every so often, can be a bit slow for that at times, but everything else is fine.

Just for fun I ran a left 4 dead 2 public server, with 8 people pings started off at 100ms with the CPU pegged at 100% and went up to 2500ms after about 2 minutes, much complaining about the lag in the console, good times...

7. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

Wow lovely server box Ice :thumb:

8. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

Ah cool :) You can probably get away with creating one datastore per disk if you're not too concerned about I/O and redundancy. I'd personally recommend a decent RAID card though, you get faster and redundant storage, so win-win :)

You may be OK with a 100Mb NIC, not sure if the throughput on a single disk will be enough to saturate a 100Mb link.

9. spazmochad

spazmochad Minimodder

[​IMG]

i3 540 / 4GB RAM / 15x HDDs / Lots of fans

10. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

We haven't seen your home server yet saspro and you promised me few months when i started this thread you would put some up :p haha

11. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Remind me later when I get home from work.

It's not the tidiest at the moment as I really need longer sata cables but it's functional

12. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

Here is my rack:

[​IMG]

Built the rack itself out of 2"x4", some chipboards and a door. All leftovers after a small remodeling inside my house.

[​IMG]

From top to bottom;
    1U 24-port Gigabit switch
    1U blank (will mount some sort of cable management-thing on this)
    1U 16 port patch panel
    1U Firewall running untangle
    3U watercooling unit for the mainrig,
    4U case containing the mainrig
    1U miniITX server, currently not in use
    1U BOXX render computer
    1U BOXX render computer
    4U Fileserver (stats below)
    1U 16port KVM-console 15"
    MythTV Backend
    2U Dell PowerEdge 2650 - torrent and CCTV server

[​IMG]

Here it is with the KVM-console open.

Filserver:
    Cabinet: Supermicro SuperChassis 846TQ-R900B
    Motherboard: older supermicro, 2x Xeon 2,4ghz 3GB ram
    RAID cards: 2x 3ware 9550SX-12
    Disks: (for now)
    2x 2TB
    5x 1,5TB
    2x 1TB
    2x 750GB
    2x 600GB
    Comments: Noisy as f....

Last edited: 31 May 2015
  13. identikit

identikit Minimodder

lol I wouldn't be able to sleep safely knowing I had 3U of water above all of that.

14. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

Never thought of that..
    You are to blame if i have problems sleeping tonight! :p

I'm planning to put even more water inside, a chiller unit built from an "old" heat pump, and I plan on using the hot water output to heat my living room.
    but that is a future project...

15. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

some nice gear you have there Alekoy :)

16. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

Thanks Votick.
    Your rack server is nice to!

17. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Nice NAS's people, just bought myself 2 of the HP Proliant Microservers with the £100 cashback, what a bloody bargain! You have 2 days left if you want one, just go to eBuyers HERE right now...

I have already had one for 2 weeks now, stuck in 4GB ram, 1 x 500GB (2008 R2 server) and 3 x 2TB's for storage (no raid) and it runs like a dream and is surprisingly fast for a dual core 1.3ghz CPU!

I have VMware server II installed (Windows based VM's not EXSi) which runs 2 VM's (A domain controller and download VM in a DMZ) and it does all this while pulling only 45w from the wall!! WIN :rock:

When the second one arrives on Monday im going to pimp up with a decent SAS raid card and turn the bays into hot-swaps and also install a 4 x 2.5" removable caddy in the CD-ROM bay like someone else did on here. I plan to use 4 x 2TB's in Raid 5 or maybe 1+0 and 2 x 1TB's in Raid-1 on MB controller for OS and VM's, wanna see how it handles all that! (BUT might have to wait until HDD prices go back to normal because of the damm flooding in Thailand :( )

Still cant believe what a bargain they are for £130 after the cashback! :D :clap:

18. coolamasta

Is anyone using SSD's in Raid-1 or Raid-5 on a home server? Am thinking about using 2 x OCZ Agility 60GB's in Raid-1 on my server for speed and redundancy but also though about getting a 3rd 60GB and going Raid-5 but as I know TRIM wont be used im a bit worried about how they will be 6-12 months down the line after being on constantly 24/7...

19. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

out of curiosity, why?

most home servers are on 24/7, so you will rarely be able to take advantage of lower boot times. and because most servers arent constantly opening/closing programs, theres no advantage for load times there either.

20. coolamasta

Mainly because I keep 2 VM's on my Raid-1 set currently and when the main OS and 2 vm's are working away my I/O drops right down especially when backing up, I know SSD's would be overkill for it and to be honest 60GB would be ever so tight to get the OS and VMs on so would prob have to move the VM's elseware anyway unless I went R5 ssd, im just thinking out loud at the mo anyway, im not making any hasty decisions until I know what I want to do for sure... :)