1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 8 to use less RAM than Windows 7

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 10 Oct 2011.

1. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

+ Windows 7, believe.

2. Culinia

Culinia What's a Dremel?

I would hazard a guess in saying that purchasing more RAM for an old computer will be indeed cheaper and more beneficial than to buy Windows 8 in its own right. Not amused. EOM.

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I thought those task killers were for shutting down apps that might be using your data connection without you wanting them to?

At least that's what I use them for.

4. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

So if win8 is just win7 with a mobile/tablet interface ....and I already have win7 ....why do I need win8? Why should I have it on the desktop?

I currently have still use Xp at work ...it creaks audibly! I have Vista on the laptop...no,no,no! And win7 on the gamer tower. It's clean, minimalist and smooth ...changing it would seem like going from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 4S ....a pointless waste of time and money.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yup, pretty much.
    But Windows 8 is being worked on, all we saw so far, is a cut down alpha version, barely tested.
    The idea if to give developer access to Windows 8 new API code, new infrastructure to do Metro style app.

6. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

You do realize that even if you arent using the tiles Microsoft stated that the desktop is a simple app running on top of the actual OS?

7. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

When is W8 roadmapped for?

8. leslie

leslie Just me!

Windows 8 is MUCH more than just Windows 7 with a new interface.

It runs pretty fast, but Metro, forget it. They need some serious work or something completely different. Even on a 13in notebook it is insanely clunky and lame to work with. God help you if you are using a touchpad or looking at it on a 25in monitor.

If it was just Win7, it wouldn't be so crash happy or failure prone. If you try it, beware, it will crash and when it does, many times it will not be recoverable. I ran it for a few days but it was way too unstable. Yes, I do know it is beta/alpha, it's got a very long way to go to fix that UI and stability.

9. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

They should call it Windows 7 Tablet and add the useful features as a service pack for 7.

10. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

RAM is so cheap that I don't care anymore.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You do realise that it has always been that way? (That's why they distinguish between the kernel and the shell, peeps!)

12. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Windows 8 is, IMO, shaping up to be something really special. I know not everyone is fond of the new touch UI (personally I love Metro/Live Tiles, long live Zune!), but implemented correctly, they could make some truly impressive tablet/laptop hybrids.

With the iPad and (soon) the Amazon Fire dominating the consumption/light productivity tablet market, I think Microsoft has an angle here to make slightly more expensive, but highly productive tablet devices.

13. TFSakon

TFSakon What's a Dremel?

How is this news (not a Bit-Tech insult), surely if a new OS isn't using at least the same amount of RAM, Processing cycles, etc, it's going backwards, and so the creators will have pretty much failed in making something worthwhile.

Tags: Add Tags