1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice £1000-1200 Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theevilelephant, 2 Oct 2011.

1. Sarneus

Sarneus What's a Dremel?

I dont really see the point in getting the 2600, if you want to keep the price low get the 2500k, if you want it to be more future proof get the 2600k.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Also, the Dark Rock is a great cooler, but you could get a Kuhler 620 for exactly the same price! Liquid cooling goodness. What I will say is its worth replacing the stock fan with a Enermax TB Silence or something as it can get pretty loud.

3. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

With the £75 left over, treat yourself with a couple of games or a nicer keyboard/mouse :).

4. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

So I've gone ahead and ordered, hopefully it should all be here tomorrow! In the end I went with an core i5 and noctua cooler.

This will be the first time i've installed windows on an ssd, any tips or tricks? I've heard mention of ahci mode, ensuring trim is enabled and disabling defraging. Any other tips?

5. yassarikhan786

When installing windows on my SSD, I did not have to enable ACHI mode as it was already set up automatically. I also did not make any changes to enable trim and disable defraging and my SSD works absolutely fine.

If there are any firmware updates for your SSD, make sure to update to the latest revision as some updates supposedly increase performance.

6. theevilelephant

Can I install windows and then update the firmware?

7. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Install FW first just in case.

8. yassarikhan786

I think installing it first is probably the best option as some people have reported that they are unable to do so after the windows installation.

9. theevilelephant

It has all arrived! Woo.
    [​IMG]

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Something worth mentioning, my Fractal R3 didn't have the 2.5" HDD screws necessary to attach my SSD to the white trays. Easy and cheap enough to buy from ebay if they're still not packed in with the Fractal. Also what's in that tiny black box, the CPU perhaps?

11. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Envious I didnt buy all my own components and build my computer myself now. I was going to go with the Fractal R3 too. Oh well my system was built in a few hours by proffesionals and works perfectly.

Though I just realised my GTX 570 isnt an SC edition lol I thought SC what bit techers speak for standard nVidia version lol

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

You don't want to get bitten by the PC bug too bad mind! I was just thinking the other day how many times I split the case open every month just to tinker with my machine. It works fine but I like to check all my components are snug in there! :D

13. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

WARRANTY stickers wont budge so wont be tinkering in my case for 12 months or so lol

14. theevilelephant

So it is all up an running, haven't finished cable tidying as I wanted to make sure it would boot first! :D One problem is that the 1.5Tb hard drive I backed everything up onto is making nasty nasty clicking sounds. Which is strange as it was fine throughout the install process, it was only when I rebooted after installing the motherboard drivers that it started. I've tried disconnecting the SATA cable but it still clicks :( Looks like I'm going to have to try to copy it all onto another HD :( Other than that, loving the snappiness of windows running on an SSD!

15. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Gratz, I'm going to add a large SSD to my system in a few months are so, pretty much have what I need installed, software wise so once I have an idea of the games I want then I can decide on the size needed!

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Nice one, pictures please! :D

Also be sure to give everything a good test to make sure it works proper like! Where's that farmer smiley? [​IMG]

17. theevilelephant

Downloading Deus Ex:HR now, I look forward to being able to play it at a sensible frame rate! I will take some pictures tomorrow as the light in here is terrible :)

18. yassarikhan786

Did you buy the 2500K or the locked 2500?

19. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

Does anyone have advice on updating the FW on an SSD (I bought a OCZ 120gb Agility3), I'm building a rig but currently only have a laptop and don't really want to ask my boyfriend if I can pull his rig apart to update my firmware prebuild. thanks.

20. theevilelephant

2500K Haven't overclocked it yet though just working through a few tests/programs to make sure all is well.

Pics (I apologise for the terrible quality)
    [​IMG]

It is still a bit of a rats nest as I ran out of cable ties and patience! I also realised last night that nothing seems to light up (Personally I think this is a good thing)! Usually motherboards have a few garish LEDS but nope, not a sausage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]