1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions needed for my first business. (idea)

Discussion in 'Serious' started by gar, 3 Oct 2011.

1. gar

gar Minimodder

I think you are right mvagusta. All I need for the home cinema is a drill, laser level, a stud, wire finder. All I need for the computers well thats the usual I guess.

I am hoping my disadvantage will be that this is largely a service based business rather than selling a product to people. Financially I can't loose too much, it's mainly time and effort I could loose out on, BUT that not bad as it's about learning I guess.

Thanks Kenco, I think your right about that. Grabs attention easily!

Thanks bulldogjeff for this advice, I can't imagine how this will go, it's been challenging to get to where I am now, but I've throughly enjoyed it so far. I'm sure the stress will kick in soon enough. I'm gathering ideas at the moment for getting the word out. One will be a radio station that my pal runs with my local town, so that may help.

Xir. I'm going to do a few weeks surveying and see how that gets on. I think I could make some money, just not sure how much.

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Don't drop the computer building part completely, offer it as a service on the side. The profit margin is pretty favourable on high end machines and it could generate good publicity for the shop plus you could agree to offer free repairs on them for a small fee.

3. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

On a practical note there are loads of decent charities out there that help with business start-ups in various ways....there's also quite a few government funded enterprise projects that will give you £5,000 toward your business start-up if they approve the plans (grant not a loan). The majority of these programmes have been culled under the new government, but most will still be funded until the end of the financial year (march)...so get moving.

My honest advise would be to look at a social enterprise model, still make all the profit you would as a business, tax free, can apply for funding and grants like a charity, and have a ethical remit on top.

It really is the best option from every angle under the current government.

mvagusta likes this.
  4. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Awesome suggestion :clap:

I think there might still be something like that down here in OZ as well, I forgot about that :duh:

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

it's tough.. you need a clientele a lot like a barber or beautician and get a following

I tried posting up computer repair flyers on the collage job boards back in the 90s.. every competing jerk was pulling them down to put up their own

but once they've tasted your services.. like a sweet berry in a field of crap.. and seen how you don't just nuke their data and you can return it with everything intact even their last searches and all in the browser- just like nothing had ever happened they're sold..

not everyone can do that see.. that's where you'll stand out.. so that's where you have to show off.. most people don't know any better- you have to show them the light and you can even backdoor the computers for any bounced checks

if they don't pay.. let's say a midget accidentally shows up naked as their background and they might accidentally get a questionable antivirus installed asking them for 30 bucks :hehe:

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Standing out in terms of service and backdooring your clients PC are a bit contradictory, no?

7. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Service Business? Network, Network, Network....

Get yourself registered on a local tech community like Digital Circle as a hardware consultant.

Start a dedicated twitter account, and be sure to follow @nibusinessinfo and @david_crozier (who runs the site). This will keep you informed of any InvestNI grants, and gives generic business advice.

Check out what Matt Johnston (@cimota) strategies are with Mac-Sys, perhaps even touch base with him, as he's extremely approachable.

Start a website with a fault finding directory (and a handy link at the end to contact you if that fails). Also a blog with hardware tips and news - and promote new entries on twitter.

Customize your offering for each audience. i.e. Businesses will need a higher QoS guarantee than a home customer.

Keep metrics on each area of your business. If you're getting most of your business through one or two areas- focus on those.

Incorporate the company as a Ltd company rather than a sole trader - You currently get better tax breaks (although there's a little more paperwork) and you don't have to put "Gar trading as hardwarefixr" on legally binding documents.

Thats all I can think of for now.

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

it's called insurance.. write it to auto remove itself in 5 days

today people try all sorts of stuff.. I bet if you could stop time for a minute.. probably 50% of people would use that time to buttsecks someone.. it's opportunity- so if they want to be fleece..

9. Xir

Xir Modder

AH, Bigmike-style...
    It probably is a cash-only business here. Do Cheques even exist anymore?

10. gar

gar Minimodder

WOW. Thanks guys, there's allot of fantastic advice here. I've allot of reading and to do here. Right now I'm exhausted, so it's bed soon. Will reply properly soon!

thank you!