1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Compact HTPC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GuilleAcoustic, 2 Sep 2011.

1. Livio

Livio What's a Dremel?

This is going to be a very nice and clean build. I love it already.

If you still want to use copper stripe on the bottom than the VU meters should definitely have yellow lights.

Will be the sound quality of the onboard sound-processor enough for such a high-end setup?
    And I just wanted to draw your attention to the company Sonido with some nice wide-range loudspeakers and diy horn enclosures also.

GuilleAcoustic likes this.
  2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Thanks a lot for your input :D.

I was going for a yelloish backlight, very retro looking.

I'll only use the SPDIF output and direct it to a DIY DAC. I'm working on a design based on Burr-Brown DAC chips (PCM1704) and Burr-Brown OPA (OPA134). I'll update the overall design once I'm done with the PCB schematics.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look tonight. Their's a vast amount of DIY enclosure on internet, very tricky to pick the good one.

EDIT : I didn't resist and the enclosures look really nice and gorgeous. I'll definitly pay attention to their product. Time to google for reviews :thumb:

EDIT² : I have to find somewhere to buy them now :waah:

EDIT^3 : I did contact SONIDO tonight and they replied in less than 2 hours. Among all manufacturers I've contacted (speakers, transformer, electronic components, etc.) only 2 of them replied (including sonido). I warmly recommand them :thumb:

Last edited: 3 Oct 2011
  3. Livio

Livio What's a Dremel?

It's a pleasure for me I could be of help.
    Now I became even more curious about your project. Including the horns as well:clap:

4. GuilleAcoustic

You're very welcome ;). I'm still hesitating about the drivers I'll use : SOnido SFR 175 alinico or Sonido SFR 200 alnico in the AION enclosure.

I'll think of that during my current project. I do not know if you saw it, it's inside my "GuilleAcoustic design thread" (link in my sig). I start building a vaccum tube headphone amp (Sowter transformer + 3x Mullard E88CC tubes). I'm almost done with the schematics and the simulation in ORCAD pspice. I'll post them tonight me think, finished the calculus this morning in the train when going to work :D.

5. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Some seriously cool stuff in here, subscribing to keep an eye on it! :D

6. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks a lot ! Hope I'll have something to show really soon. Size will increase, due to pure Class A dissipated heat ... involving big heatsink. Amp hardware won't take much space.

7. Livio

Livio What's a Dremel?

Are you going to build the enclosure on your own or buy it?

8. GuilleAcoustic

On my own. My wife's uncle is a professional wood-worker, he gave me advises and can provide help if needed. I have access to his tools too :D

9. Livio

Livio What's a Dremel?

That sounds very good and I'm sure it will sound very good also :D

10. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Nice work!

11. GuilleAcoustic

12. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Looks like an excellent product!

However, I have a question: What if you have a black panel and you want to put some white text on it? Would it be possible to print WHITE colours on this paper, or would they just come out being transparent?

13. GuilleAcoustic

Unless you find a printer able to print white colour, I'd say it will desperatly stay transparent :waah: