1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD FX-8150 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 12 Oct 2011.

1. fata1_666

fata1_666 ...

im so glad that i ditched my am3 setup in june and went over to intel i5 2400 the difference is amazing having been always with amd and this new much delayed chip confirmed my fears.. it was gonna suck. Very happy reading this review i made the right choice.

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

At least the marketing blurb on Scan is right "You'll be asking yourself "What Competition?" in no time." Yes. What Competition? I'm sure they're somewhere up ahead.

3. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

needs to be re named "the iceberg" because it's going to get a lot of people jumping ship

4. .//TuNdRa

I'm actually amazed that AMD's stock doesn't appear to have changed since the launch, the cat is well out of the bag by now, and you'd expect to either see a drop, or a quick press release by AMD going "We'll fix it! Honest!"

5. veato

veato I should be working

But the consumer will compare whose chip is faster pound for pound and frankly the AMD misses the mark. I don't buy all this "but nothing can really take advantage of it yet" talk either. If I'm building a rig today I want it to perform TODAY.

David likes this.
  6. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

have the markets opened in the US?

7. .//TuNdRa

Yup. It's pushing onto Midday there, so I'd assume so.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It's as if some people in this thread have shares in AMD.

I too am sorry this turned out to be a turd, but I'm not about to start BSing about it's future potential. Jeez, if your dog was this lame, you'd shoot it! ;)

adidan likes this.
  9. .//TuNdRa

Stockholders can shout just as loud as the average consumer, if not louder, and it's easier to notice trends with stock. It's a sod to compile public opinion into a nice line-graph.

10. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

+1

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

People say about needed competition which is understandable but for me if intel started getting insane with high pricing then I'd just get into something else, I jumped ship when core 2 duo e6600 came about & never looked back going on to q6600 crap revision, good revision, q9650 & now 2500k, before the jump my first & only pre-built pc was amd & all my newer cpu's were amd, can't remember the names of the amd chips I had but I remeber the old fx chips being silly prices like intels top end cpu's.

I even had in mind that if this new range from amd cast a big enough shadow over the 2500k that I'd consider jumping back but ugh, bad performer after all the waiting.

12. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Shipment of FailDozers/CrapDozers has arrived.

As for servers, i7Xenons eat that rubbish for breakfast with better performance/Watt and far superior power management which is highly important in server environment. Frankly it is a non-contest. Even suggesting that Bulldozer is aimed at server market is laughable.

All that bitching at Intel for changing architecture every 4 years. AMD just shoot itself in both foots&hands (and for a while missed all other vital organs) with this thing. Going out of business is very near. Intel is already preparing party for whole company. They will be drunk for a month after tonight!

13. SleepyMatt

SleepyMatt What's a Dremel?

Well, that's a real disappointment. I've always harboured a bit of a crush on AMD as the 'plucky underdog' of CPU's (currently still running an Athlon X2 5000 system!), but there is no question that my upcoming new rig will be Intel based. Possible future improvements with Windows 8 and iterative improvements are a bit too insubstantial to hang one's hopes on for a year or more.

14. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Here's the AMD sales bit sent to the markets today:-

"AMD today unleashed the AMD FX family of CPUs, delivering a fully unlocked and customizable experience for desktop PC users. The AMD FX series of desktop CPUs includes the first-ever eight-core desktop processor, enabling extreme multi-display gaming, mega-tasking and HD content creation for PC and digital enthusiasts -- all for less than $245 (suggested U.S. retail price). This marks the first retail availability of processors that use AMD's new multi-core architecture (codenamed "Bulldozer"), which is included in AMD's upcoming server CPU (codenamed "Interlagos") and the next-generation of AMD Accelerated Processing Units.

"AMD FX CPUs are back with a vengeance, as validated by the recent feat of setting a Guinness World Records® title for 'Highest Frequency of a Computer Processor,'" said Chris Cloran, corporate vice president and general manager, Client Group at AMD. "While overclockers will certainly enjoy the frequencies the AMD FX processors can achieve, PC enthusiasts and HD media aficionados will appreciate the remarkable experience that AMD FX processors can provide as part of a balanced, affordable desktop system."

All AMD FX CPUs offer completely unlocked processor clock multipliers for easier overclocking, paving the way for PC enthusiasts to enjoy higher CPU speeds and related performance gains. Additionally, these processors use AMD Turbo Core Technology to dynamically optimize performance across CPU cores enabling maximum performance for intense workloads.

Starting today, the following AMD FX CPUs will be available from global retailers. Additional AMD FX CPUs and systems based on the AMD FX processors will be available for purchase following the initial launch.
    •FX-8150: Eight cores, 3.6 GHz CPU base (3.9 GHz Turbo Core, 4.2 GHz Max Turbo), $245 suggested retail price (U.S.)
    •FX-8120: Eight cores, 3.1 GHz CPU base (3.4 GHz Turbo Core, 4.0 GHz Max Turbo), $205 suggested retail price (U.S.)
    •FX-6100: Six cores, 3.3 GHz CPU base (3.6 GHz Turbo Core, 3.9 GHz Max Turbo), $165 suggested retail price (U.S.)
    •FX-4100: Four cores, 3.6 GHz CPU base (3.7 GHz Turbo Core, 3.8 GHz Max Turbo), $115 suggested retail price (U.S.)

Without spending a small fortune, users can combine an AMD FX CPU with an AMD 9-series chipset motherboard and AMD Radeonâ„¢ HD 6000 series graphics cards to create the AMD "Scorpius" platform for an astounding gaming and HD entertainment experience. As part of the "Scorpius" platform, AMD FX CPUs also support AMD CrossFireXâ„¢ technology, which allows the combination of multiple graphics cards in a PC for stunning visual experiences, and AMD Eyefinity technology support for super resolution on up to six monitors.(1) With AMD CatalystControl Centerâ„¢ / AMD VISION Engine Control Center, users can get regular updates to help improve system performance and stability, and to add new software enhancements."

Just taken from MSN Money USA site.

The bit about the "The AMD FX series of desktop CPUs includes the first-ever eight-core desktop processor, enabling extreme multi-display GAMING, mega-tasking and HD content creation for PC and digital enthusiasts"

Ouch! I thought it wasn't supposed to be for gaming?

15. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/11/amd_bulldozer_fx8150_gameplay_performance_review/1

^^This is what I care about. Not all the benchmarks for things I will NEVER use it for. For me, for what I do this chip is on par with SB. BD and its mobos cost less also, this is what will sell these cpus

16. trig

trig god's little mistake

thanks...it's always a little hard to slam the fanboys when they pretty much disappear after every flop that is a new cpu release...kudos to you for showing up, reminding everyone how amazing you fanboys are...

would have loved nothing more than to help the little guy next time i upgrade...fact is, intel will release their next round of chips, and if they're smart, they will keep the pricing in line with what it has been...the fanboys are on their last leg, and only the most delusional will continue to buy amd over ivybridge if the pricing isn't jacked...and i just can't get over those power numbers...zomg...

17. warejon9

warejon9 What's a Dremel?

The techspot review was interesting, as it seemed to show the the whole line in a better light, with it trading a couple of blows with the i7 2.6k. There is has certainly been a lot of marketing fluff thrown about.

It'd be interesting to see how the server market takes interlagos, as that is where the money is made!

18. Metaporic

Metaporic Minimodder

I am glad I went for a 2500k instead of waiting for Bulldozer when I got my new system. Shame as I'd love to see AMD give Intel a run for their money and put some decent options out their. The fact is even if the hardocp article was enough of a result to claim Bulldozer was ahead of the 2500k and 2600k ever so slightly, that still means it barely manages to compete with processors from last generation and will most likely be destroyed by Ivy Bridge. Things are made even more bleak for bulldozer by the fact that the Ivy Bridge series will work with Sandy Bridge motherboards.

Perhaps the 4 and 6 core versions will perform better, at least in gaming (Highly doubt it but one can hope).

19. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

That. Is a real shame :/

Bin said before 100 times I know.

Intel has practically has a monopoly over the desktop CPU market :/

20. trig

trig god's little mistake

based on the article i read on ivybridge here on bt, the bd flop will allow intel to release ivybridge at a "slightly more power efficient, slightly more performance" chip, instead of giving us a "same power efficiency, much more powerful" chip. or doing both but charging a premium for the latter...

Tags: Add Tags