1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux About the Linux distributor

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jasmine1, 11 Oct 2011.

1. Jasmine1

Jasmine1 What's a Dremel?

hello, everyone, i am new here, and I want to know more about the linux distributor here :)

and i want to know there is anybody suggest a good linux distributer for a htpc just running dvd's, mp3's and tv recordings for me, TaylorMade R11 Irons thank u

Last edited: 17 Oct 2011
  2. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

I think XBMC and Mythbuntu are fairly popular, I've never used either but they seem to be fairly well documented.

3. Shabing

Shabing What's a Dremel?

4. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

XBMC is nice, but remember you may need to install the right driver package for your GPU..

Worked fine on my AM2+ w/ HD4550 until I went to pay any video then it crashed.. realy need to get around to throwing the driver in XD

5. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

You'll want to check compatability for your TV card first. Not everything works with the linux distros. Also, you'll want to decide on the use for the HTPC too. Any additional tasks such as torrenting, sanzab, or web surfing?

I'm currently running openelec. But then, I only use it for playback of video files and as a sanzab/torrent box. Works well, even with a recent card such as GT520 (mild tweaking of two lines for hdmi sound.). They do have a branch with the recording function but I've not used it so unable to comment. But it's a embedded style install so any additional functions beyond what is already available is a huge pain to add.

There are a few others that are recommended such as xbmc live, xbmcfreak. Much more customisable. The good thing about all these is that they can either run live or can be installed to a usb stick for testing. All you waste is a bit of time for the testing and wiping of usb sticks.