1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Kobalt Computers Dodgy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wsmccusker, 11 Oct 2011.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Well, then your law is flawed. Even PayPal recognizes the possibility of credit card chargeback against the seller, when they are in middle :
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/seller/ChargebackRisk-outside

At least here we don't have such exceptions, third party or not :).

2. laincognita

laincognita What's a Dremel?

Yes I agree UK consumer law is flawed for instance on mainland Europe everyoone now has the right to an automatic 2 year Guarantee even if the paperwork says 1 year. Here in the UK our Gov will only try and support 1 year. However........

In general when a third party talks about chargebacks they are referring to "fraudulent chargebacks" and the protection is mostly offered to the sellesr not the buyer. This is why we are asking on this thread and over on the Sagar/Clevo forum Kobalt thread at Notebook Review for everyone to keep in touch on all the issues and report back what happens to them..

Lets see and nice one to Blogins I posted your advice pdf link over at NBR....

this time delay on this forum is driving me mad this is my 3rd post not going to show this morning!!

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Under Section 75 I think you still do have the exception as it's a pan European piece of legislation. Chargeback is more a voluntary code of conduct and not enshrined in law. Just search 'Section 75' on PayPal and nothing will be listed because they don't support it.

Even if this is true I urge people to follow through with Section 75 just so that you've covered that particular base. Hopefully Kobalt Computers will list further information about what Administrator/Liquidator has been appointed and how customers can contact this entity. You need to follow all possible means to get your money or computer back.

4. laincognita

Arghhhhhhhhh! where are my posts? I have been a goody - no spam no links and no posts getting through except one wee one that sneaked in all by itself early this morning !!

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

They've appeared now - not sure why all of your posts were moderated, but I've cleared the backlog

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Thanks and I'm glad the information is being put to good use. Just reading through the posts on Notebook Review right now. Hopefully Kobalt Computers will put more information on the website soon. Also looking through some records held at Companies House it's interesting how the directors changed their particulars not more than a week before announcing the cessation of operations. I am quite curious, might be worth spending £4 to get the most recent documents filed at Companies House!

7. laincognita

I agree I'm quite curious too......
    I have been trying to X post between here and NBR the useful stuff or point people in the right direction. This is because I think the best thing for everyone is to compare notes and maintain communication. It has many different effects from warranties to missing RMAs and missing money or computers.

The thread over there is a wee bit chaotic because obviously some folks are a little emotional but a few people are trying a few tactics in private and we will all compare notes when we have anything to say. As I kicked off the thread I will try and sum up the info maybe in the morning. Just so people don't have to keep wading through and missing the important stuff.

Thanks so much Blogins for your useful advice here as well....

And Tim thanks for unmodding me........;)

More arghhhhhhh! Just thanked Tim for unmodding me and got modded! Would like to ask you please Blogin how you got to the £4 report... I just went to Companies House website found Kobalt but can't figure how to get anything.

However, it will be another month before you see this post :(

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Oct 2011
  8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

^^ I think that's a little unfair... :(

9. laincognita

Ahhh Krikkit do you mean my comment about a month to see a post?? I would never wish to hurt a moderator's feelings.....;)

My mamma taught me to be nice to your sweet moderator (unless your posts get modded again...............:naughty:)

It seems that there is no hope to retrieve RMAs from Kobalt by the way, someone over at NBR received an email telling him to write to the registered company address so that the Administrators see it in order to make a claim. Here is the address:

write to this address (Their Registered Office):
    7-9 THE AVENUE,
    EASTBOURNE
    EAST SUSSEX
    BN21 3YA

Anyone in this position needs to get copies of every piece of ownership information they can possibly find. Get a letter off to the address above staking your claim to ownership of the kit. The administrators are supposed to inform you when they get involved but my advice is keep an eye on this forum and NBR as well.

Read Blogin's PDF that is posted earlier in this thread, please share information and Good Luck!!

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The documents would only be interesting out of idle curiosity, it wouldn't help the current situation in any way whatsoever! I did find some other director related resources had been changed on the 11th October. They must be worried outside the problems of dealing with going in to administration!

Also for all those involved, it's a good idea to get in touch with the local insolvency agency. If it were me I'd start with the 'Official Receiver'. They typically deal with companies dealt with by the courts so might not have information about Kobalt Computers directly. Having said that they could have further useful information about local firms that deal with these type of administration cases. Ideally you want to know who you're dealing with so any letters can be addressed properly. Also only send photocopies of original invoices and letters you received from Kobalt at this point! You want to maintain a full complete record for yourselves simply for future reference.

Here's a link to the local Official Receiver...

http://www.escis.org.uk/Entry/View/Official_Receiver/5493

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Why in Santa's name would u want a laptop for gaming? You'd be better off buying a fecking games console. Laptops are **** for gaming and just like a console, you can't upgrade anything.

12. feathers

feathers Minimodder

In all honesty I must say you sound like a total muppet.

Firstly... why the feck would you pay £1400 for something you can never upgrade? A laptop is just an overpriced games console. You can never upgrade it, it has a higher failure rate than a desktop and goes out of date faster than an eggs box £3.60.

The second point is...

Why the feck would you choose a little computer shop instead of one of the really big and rock solid companies like ebuyer, aria, dabs or overclockers?

I have been buying and building computer parts since the mid 90's and choose the big name companies to avoid the situation you find yourself in.

But the biggest issue is why the feck would u waste 1400 on an underpowered computer?

13. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Not sure why your throwing out insults when you seem to be ill informed on the matter.

Kobalt were a decent company, and a Clevo reseller. You could upgrade any component in a laptop if you wanted, you don't buy a gaming laptop from ebuyer, aria, overclockers, because they don't sell custom laptops. They sell fixed spec laptops where are almost as expensive as a top of the range custom one.

The question is, why do you feel the need to come insult someone, for not having the option of getting a desktop? It's you who looks like a muppet.

14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Feathers, these people have already lost a shedload of money, and they sure don't need your off topic insults about gaming laptops. Stop trolling.

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

feathers: There's really no need for that, keep it decent at least.

16. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Ok, I just got annoyed someone would spend that much money on a laptop and from one of the smaller less secure shops.

17. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I have serviced a numper of laptops. 3 years old or less and they are SLOW! Of course I realise a new laptop at 1400 will be fast enough for SOME of today's apps but a few years down the line, forget it.

When I build a PC I want as much speed as I can get and I want to overclock it so it's still plenty fast even 3 years down the line.

Ironically my EVGA motherboard died last month and only 2 months before end of it's 3 year warranty. It is the first time ever in my history of building and overclocking that a mobo has failed but it was used A LOT! 16 hours a day and sometimes on 2 or 3 days at a time. EVGA sent a replacement within 3 days.

The point is 3 years down the line my motherboard and processor are still more than fast enough for any apps especially when the system is overclocked.

Laptops are useful when you're out but for anything else forget it. I even question the need for them when you're away from home. I take my iPhone 3gs with me and use it for navigation, emails and just about everything else (don't use it for making calls though).

It's a shame you lucked out with Kobalt. Reading their website, it seems they are blaming their merchant providers for the demise of their business, so I guess the merchants took a hard line when kobalt asked them for help.

What really sucks here is the response from your bank. I remember when I called my bank last year because I was unsure if I would receive something I'd bought on my debit card (it wasn't a 1400 laptop:). Aliance-Leicester as they were then called said it would not be a problem, my bank gave protection. As it turned out I received the item but it's nice to know I would have been covered. My account is a bog standard current account. Debit card is Visa debit.

19. nerdess

nerdess What's a Dremel?

thanks guys for standing up for me against being called a "muppet"....

i looked around before i ordered the noteboo. dell or samsung did not offer the specification and level of customisation i was after but kobalt did. i also liked the thought of supporting a small company rather than a big corporation (just as like i prefer to eat at a privately owned little cafe rather than mcdonalds).

i am also aware that a notebook will always be more expensive and less powerful compared to a similar desktop pc....so wtf i don't get your rather unconstructive criticism.

my big mistake was to wait 6 months before i started to get pushy with kobalt. i do have access to a decent company notebook and therefore was under no pressure to get it.

ps: i've started a hashtag on twitter to share information about kobalt. turned out that a lot of people got screwed over by them: http://twitter.com/#!/search/#kobaltcomputers

cheers
    sissi

20. nerdess

nerdess What's a Dremel?

oh sorry i just noticed the muppet-thing was not targeted towards me, still, my story is quite similar to williams....d'oh.