1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Posts never get accepted is this forum still active

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by jelderkin, 23 Jul 2011.

1. jelderkin

jelderkin What's a Dremel?

Please can one of the admins take off the waiting for moderator to approve posts this is hardly a community if it takes days and days for posts to ever make it to the board???

2. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

While I can imagine it must be annoying waiting for your first few posts to be moderated, there's a very good reason for doing so - the vast amount of forum spam that bit is flooded with every day.

You don't get to see it, because its flooded by the auto-moderation system, but that means we have to manually approve new posters to make sure they are genuine, not spammers.

3. SkullMunch

SkullMunch What's a Dremel?

how long is the average waiting time for posts to be approved? its been 24 hours since I posted some replies and none have made it onto the forum yet :S

4. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

TBH I've no idea; but in your case it was just 16 minutes :D

5. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

I've made a few posts and they don't seem to be getting moderated either. Why can't the post count be reduced to 5 or something? Otherwise it's going to take me a few days before I can actually start participating properly.

EDIT: Okay, this post has been accepted. :D

Last edited: 14 Aug 2011
  6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The problem is the sheer amount of traffic. We get a lot of spam, so removing auto-moderation is not an option. But we also get a lot of valid posts, so each time a mod logs on they have to manually read and approve/reject over a hundred new posts (and then in due time also manually validate the poster). Every day, for each moderator. It's a chore.

So please bear with us while we look at ways to make the process smoother...

7. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

No problem Nexxo. I understand your position, I own a tech forum as well and even as a small community the number of spammers is phenomenal. Perhaps you should try preventing the spammers signing up in the first place. I have noticed on my forum that spammers seem to be getting cleverer and seem to be able to bypass maths questions such as the system used on bit tech. I would suggest using both Recaptcha and the Math one. It's the human spammers which are the real issue, they can be terrible to deal with.

8. ryan498

ryan498 What's a Dremel?

my posts seem to be getting posted fine now, no more moderation :) I think the moderation is removed after your first 10 or 15 posts.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Actually, I manually removed yours this morning. :) Also Bituser's, BillMurray's, Goethe's and a few others I can't remember now.

10. ryan498

ryan498 What's a Dremel?

Oh, thanks :)

11. Jards8595

Jards8595 Minimodder

Ah so i take it my profile will show 0 posts until my post is actually accepted and posted to the forum. Looks like i may have boobed and double posted because i wasnt sure if my first attempt had gone through properly. Good thread this cheers guys

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Post count only shows accepted posts - if they're in the moderation queue they don't show in the count.

Once you press submit/Post Reply they're in the queue, even if they disappear. Multi-posts will just get nerfed, they're no big issue, so don't worry too much about it. :)

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

rep bar is the real deal :p

how about use the references box? if a member fill out that box saying they were referenced here by an existing member, then the existing member can then approve or reject this, thus sharing some of moderator's work?

eg. recently i got Pullen to sign up to Bit-tech. he wanted to ask questions on LG IPS monitors but posts did not get approved fast enough, causing me to actually have to be the messenger. if i could just vouch for him, then it'd be much easier.

14. Jards8595

Jards8595 Minimodder

Cheers Krikkit it all makes sense to me now, and my posts are now up woo hoo

15. Xcellenye

Xcellenye What's a Dremel?

mine are taking awhile too but it does keep spam of the site so i guess its okay

16. Sarneus

Sarneus What's a Dremel?

This kind of bothers me too as a new user, but having been a moderator on other forums I can understand why it's there, my problem is really how long it's taking for posts to go through. I posted a few things yesterday around 1pm and they only came up this morning. Also I thought this would stop after 10 posts, but I have 13-14 now and they are still getting moderated?

17. laincognita

laincognita What's a Dremel?

Yes me tooooooo......

I am trying to help out with the Kobalt issue and get help from the amazing Bogin on the thread but my posts have all just disappeared into the modd Q and actually we need to be acting quick on this issue. Surely you must know I am not a spammer by now??? Please?

18. laincognita

Me too...........

I thought I was now off moderation but it is still happening I have just posted again on the Kobalt thread and I need to ask Bloggins a question asap and I can't :(

19. laincognita

I had just thanked Tim for unmodding me and the post got modded!!!:wallbash:

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Just PM a mod. :)