1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD FX-8150 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 12 Oct 2011.

1. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Genius.

3. Webby63

Webby63 What's a Dremel?

Anyone remember why Intel is so far ahead? Oh yes that’s right something to do with being anti-competitive. Sure it’s not as good as the Intel CPUs, but it is impressive what they have managed to do with “old technology”. I’m not saying this is the CPU that everyone should buy I’m just saying that AMD are getting a lot of abuse that they don’t really deserve.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

AMD is getting the abuse because a brand new "8-core" performs worse than their own older "6-core". If it would perform +15% over X6 1100T all the time you wouldn't see what you see now. But if their own old tech is a better choice, then it is time to apologize to potential buyers, get back to drawing table and bring out a new revision ASAP.

5. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

as far as i know....that shouldnt effect the design of a processor at all unless AMD were that close to bankruptcy, they would have scrapped BD or put it on hold indefinitely and carried on making low power and low cost APUs - an area where they are currently exceling in.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

No, intel is so far ahead because they failed hard with Pentium 4, they learnt from their mistake. Hopefully AMD will do the same in their next architecture.

Increasing pipeline length is never a good way to go.

7. Webby63

Webby63 What's a Dremel?

That I will admit is a very good point, seems a little like shooting yourself in the foot. However what I was really getting at were the people who are comparing it to Intel. Yes I understand Intel is better, but they don’t deserve abuse for it, especially as Intel is partly to blame for AMDs current situation.

8. Webby63

Webby63 What's a Dremel?

The point is Intel being anti-competitive put AMDs research back by number of years, thus Intel are ahead. Hence AMD have only just hit 32nm. That is my understanding of it anyway.

9. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

They didn't really fail though did they, they still sold bucket loads by using there muscle, hence why they got whacked with big fines across the world in anti-trust probes.

10. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I read this review yesterday and then cried myself to sleep. It's a bloody shame.

I do have a lot of anger towards Intel for their shenanigans years ago which cost AMD so much and they might never recover from but it's not an excuse right here and right now for bringing shitty tech to the table.

11. ven

ven What's a Dremel?

Dear AMD if you keep on continue like this one day you will be made to shutdown your processor making.

I would rather advise you to concentrate on the graphics segment which you are presently doing well & try to bring some innovations....

12. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

What a shame. I've been hoping for an AMD comeback for ages. Clearly this isn't it. I just hope that if AMD eventually go under somebody buys what's left of ATI and keeps it going.

13. trig

trig god's little mistake

too you as well good sir..

lol...chap will be with us...always...
    like that rash you tell your doctor about, that keeps coming back...

i've said to much...

but really, he kinda is that...a rash...

Last edited: 13 Oct 2011
  14. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

What happened AMD? You used to be cool man. I used you for years but when the Q6600 halved in price I just had to jump. It's been intel ever since.

15. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

I'm still loving the idea of having 8-cores. To me, the processor doesn't really matter anyway. If you have an SSD you 'll never see the difference. I tell people all the time coming in looking for a processor to save your money and buy an SSD instead. I see socket 775 dual core systems with SSD's spank 2600K PC's all the time

16. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

AMD sucks......and Bulldozer has made it official! AMD released a CPu that barely beats a Phenom 1100T and is no where near competition to a Core i5 2500K or Core i7 2600K. Seems Like BD was designed to compete with a Core i7 920.....too bad it's 3 years too late.

Looking forward to Intel vs. Arm or Nvidia cause AMD is toast!

17. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Also i fear with this worthless release by AMD Intel now has every right to jack up the prices! Glad I already got my 2500K!

18. trig

trig god's little mistake

spank them doing what exactly? loading into windows? loading games? running read and write benchmarks?
    sure it's going to give a snappier experience with load times of apps and what not...but playing games? cpu does matter...encoding video? cpu does matter...and the "8" cores on BD will be a huge disappointment for the money...not to mention the time spent waiting for it all these months, only to find out you could have been enjoying those 2500k benefits this whole time...

19. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

I *hope* that this is just a preliminary poor example.

We know that AMD had some issues with the previous stepping and had to rush out a new stepping (with a delayed release). We also know that AMD manage to squeeze extra performance from an architecture. The fact that they managed to make their aging previous arcitecture almost competitive with intel's newest architecture proves this.

lets all hope then, that AMD can "unlock" some serious increases in performance over the next few months.

I remember intel's first iteration of the Q6600. It was a great chip in its own right; admittedly; but really didn't overclock well.
    Then the G0 stepping appeared and we had a chip that was so good its still holding its own in gaming rigs 5 years later.

Maybe, just maybe, AMD will pull off a similar feat. :S

(Disclaimer: I came very late to the PC building malarky, just as intel were releasing their first C2D's and my first ever CPU was the E6600. I have never had an AMD chip, and therefore am not nostalgic about AMD chips. I just want healthy competition and more improtantly - choice!)

20. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

+1

Tags: Add Tags