1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Google+

Discussion in 'Software' started by SirFur, 13 Oct 2011.

1. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Hey guys,

Just been reading some stuff and came across Google+

I have facebook, but I don;t use it that regularly for various reasons...mainly becuase its a little intrusive and also a little disassociated with my normal routine. Google+ I have to say sounds awesome. Been reading a few articles, some biased, and sounds like Google+ is going to be something we should be looking into...I just created my account today.

Anyone have any views on it? Is this going to be the new facebook?

2. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

I doubt it will be the new facebook in the foreseeable future. I like the layout of g+ more and the fact it is leaner. To most people fewer features will be a downside. I'd much rather use g+ than fb, but at the end of the day a social network is useful only if your friends are on there. Most of my friends don't really pay much attention to tech and web developments so getting them to switch is close to impossible. I still use fb around 90% of the time even though I'm not a fan of it simply because it's the only way I can reliably stay in touch online with non-geek friends.

3. SirFur

I just found an option to link other accounts to your g+ account, and it has the option to add facebook to it. Gonna try it tomorrow when I get a chance, but that may well be the chink it needs to get folks to move across if your able to keep in touch with all your fb friends via g+.

4. rubby

rubby What's a Dremel?

Yes a new added feature in Google that will show +1 buttons next to all search results and ads, and encourage other sites to add that button. All these +1's are public and they're tied to Google Profiles.

5. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Google+ is still in beta stages I believe. It's open beta (so basically mostly in release mode), but that's still beta (actually I forgot if it hit release yet...). Anyway, I've been on G+ since about 2 or 3 weeks after the limited beta was opened, and here's what I've found:

1. Hangouts are the bomb for long distance youtube parties.

2. Friend circles basically put 100% of privacy control into your hands in a sleek and easy interface which doesn't involve much work on your part especially since you set up your circles from the start.

3. I like the layout much better than facebook

4. One of the features that I miss the most is the ability to create event groups/other groups with people. You can add them to circles, but that doesn't mean they have you and everyone else in the same arrangement. Facebook is still better for planning parties with groups.

5. If Google is harvesting people's information then so be it. If the price of connecting to my friends is letting some of my info fall into someone's hands I'm more willing to give it to Google than I am to Facebook.

6. Since G+ isn't amazingly popular since most people are too lazy to move over (they're all trapped in the "I'll move over if my friends move" mentality which means no1 moves) so it's not effective friend networking unless you actively promote and push your friends over to G+.

7. I honestly think the like button has a bit more appeal than the +1 button, but both accomplish the same function :p

8. Games on G+ are kinda lacking compared to FB.

9. G+ is nice. I think it's better than facebook, but if it folds it folds. I'll be sad if it folds, but there's nothing I can do about it. If G+ goes down I might just delete facebook and be done with social networking all together actually.

10. G+ is kinda like an in between for twitter and facebook. It's got the possibility to be used like a blog, but you can also use it like a twitter.

11. The G+ app is developed by Google, and therefore should logically work really well with Android.

That's all for now~

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

do we really need another time wasting facebook?

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Rich as you know loads of people love it. I use it for the simple reason I got roped into it by every one else, but I don't go on it very often, and I don't do an update everytime I fart and feel the need to tell the world.

I've had a look at G+, it seems ok, but as no one I know uses it or will make the move across, I'm billy no mates on there...lol

Google seem to have a knack of making a success of most things they get in to, so I can't see why G+ will be any different.

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I know someone that had 400+ virus on their rig and I asked what sites she had been on and apart from her emails only facebook :eeek:

9. SirFur

This is what intrigues me so much...Google does have a knack of making a success out of its products. I don't use facebook for various reasons...its intrusive and its too flashy and well I'm not a fan. I so much prefer the simpler nature of google+ and it is so much easier to get involved with...come on these days google is the heart of our internet experience....we could not live without it. Facebook? of course we can..remember myspace?

My home page is the google search box...allows me to set a very nice background picture around the search box and gives me easy access to ALL my browsing needs...web, photos, social, web history, email, calender (which I use a lot), contacts and so much more...it all helps the fact I use and like android phones and all of this is so easy to get linked and all in one place.

It will take time for g+ to gain any momentum...but it is has a great headstart with google to get us going...a gmail account makes so much sense these days. If the google photos facility gets developed into an imageshack-like feature then it'd be even better.