1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Build! - Advice on current parts and parts coming out soon!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChArMz, 13 Oct 2011.

1. ChArMz

ChArMz What's a Dremel?

CPU: 2600k

RAM:
    Corsair Vengeance (2 x 4GB)

I would like Dominator better then the cheap plastic Vengeance, but what can a guy do!

MotherBoard:
    ASUS P67 Sabertooth or MSI P67A-GD65
    I have no need for onboard GPU use/SSD cache EVER!

Power Supply:
    SeaSonic Platinum 860W/1000W

I want something fully modular and Platinum :)

Video Card:

EVGA GTX 570 Classified

SSD:
    Crucial M4
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148443

The M4 is better than the drives with sandforce right?, even though it speed is slower?

HDD:
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Case:
    Corsair 650D

Monitor:
    I currently have a Dell 24in Ultrasharp 2407WFP, but I plan to sell that and..buy a 27in monitor.

I am trying to wait for a nice 120hz IPS monitor (I want the Dell 2711, but with 120hz) :p

Main questions:
    1) Do I wait for Sandy Bridge-E(Core i7-3930K)? and X78?
    2) Do I wait/when is GTX 600 series coming out?

**Do not worry about a budget, base it off the parts I have selected above**
    **I have an OS**
    **I will be buying all the above parts new, do not have any old parts**
    **I may be overclocking**
    **Computer will be used for gaming, large amount of multi tasking, ect**

Last edited: 13 Oct 2011
  2. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

Well the previews ive seen from the I7-3930k dont show many benefits in less threaded workloads such as Games.. therefore a 2600k wouldn't have to much difference from its 6 core counterpart.... and from the new cards from the Green camp i have heard no news :/ but the red camp seems to be leaking some info of the hd7xxx series

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You've got a month (give or take) to wait for news on X79 and Intel's next gen system. When do you want to build it?

4. ChArMz

ChArMz What's a Dremel?

I can wait..

the advantages of waiting would be:

PCI 3.0
    Quad Ram

the 3820 over the 2600k/2700k, with 1-200mhz more & 2 mb more of l3 cache
    OR
    the 3930K, but @ a cost

as well as more USB/SATA 3.0 ports on the x78 mobos?

the DISADVANTAGE would be not being able to upgrade my processor to Ivy Bridge, because i wont be lga 1155...

Any idea if GTX 600s will be out nov-dec?

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Can't comment on graphics but yea you have to decide whether it's worth the upgrade to Ivy or go full X79. If you do intend to go LGA1155 remember to buy a Gen-3 capable board. Ours just launched: P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 (and Deluxe) and Maximus IV GENE-Z Gen-3 (you can see me in a video on YouTube presenting them! :eeek: ).

Also bare in mind Intel will never make its mainstream platform (1155) "more" than its premium (2011), so even though we don't know what Ivy Bridge will be exactly, you can guess the platform split: 2011 is about more cores, more memory, more PCIe etcetc - question you should ask is what do you need?

6. Zehetmayr

Zehetmayr Minimodder

Sorry - bit of a thread rob but in context ish.

Bindibadgi - is an asus maximus extreme iv gen3 in the pipeline?

Thanks

7. ChArMz

ChArMz What's a Dremel?

Well I just found out that Ivy Bridge-E is coming to LGA 2011...so I could upgrade to SB-E now and then sell my processor and buy a ivybridge-e if needed

i just need to know about keplar..

8. ChArMz

ChArMz What's a Dremel?

Also, sorry for double post but when ivy bridge comes out will there just be more 6 core with 12 threads, or are we going to see 8 cores and 16 threads?

9. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

How much better is IvyBridge tipped to be vs the current generation of core i5/7 Sandybridge CPUs? ANd how much more expensive will the kit be at initial setup? I've just upgraded to my current rig below in my sig and I'm just curious as to wonder if I upgraded a little too soon and if I'm going to regret my decision on the rig. FOr instance I already feel a little regretful I didn't go for a 2.5GB GTX570, or even a GTX580 though they are still too much for me to seriously consider those....I am wondering whether I've jumped the gun at the wrong moment...