1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards New Computer won't POST

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by cyberspice, 18 Oct 2011.

1. cyberspice

cyberspice Angel on a bad trip

Hi y'all,

Just bought an MSI P67a-GD53 (B3) Motherboard to replace a faulty ASUS board and the damn thing won't even POST....

Specs as follows

Intel Core i5 2500k
    2 x 2GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz RAM
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX560Ti
    Antec Trupower 650W Modular Power Supply
    Crucial RealSSD 64GB
    Thermaltake Fri CPU Cooler

The problem I'm having is the system won't POST at all. When I plug in and power up all the fans (CPU,System & GPU) spin up, all the CPU Phase LEDs light up and remain lit but the monitor displays "No Signal" and there are no beeps from the internal speaker. I have tried with both sticks of RAM in the primary slot (the blue one closest to the cpu) and I've tried booting with CPU only, CPU + RAM only, CPU + RAM + GPU only.... all giving me exactly the same problem.

All power cords are correctly connected, I've tried breadboarding the whole thing to ensure there are no short circuits. The only time it does anything different is when i leave the 8-PIN CPU power connector unplugged, in which case only the first CPU phase LED lights up and all the fans spin up for approx 4 secs before powering down, then powering back on again and repeating until I cut the power.

Any bright ideas on what could be wrong before I RMA the board?

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Primary memory slot is the second one from the CPU socket not the first, maybe give that a shot?

Have you disconnected everything including HDDs, SSDs and front panel connectors when trying basic configurations?

3. cyberspice

hmm... did not know that. Still, yeah I have tried that. That's the slot I had it in when I first put it all together. Until I read it the RAM had to be in the one closest to the CPU and switched the whole thing around..... but yeah, I've tried the RAM in every possible slot to see if it made a difference, and it didn't.

And yes, everything was disconnected, including the front panel LEDs, switches and all hard drives.

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Bad board I would say then.

5. gerardmcmanus

gerardmcmanus What's a Dremel?

If it is just not giving you a signal to the monitor, there a possibility it did boot ok, but it was just a problem with the MSI Twin Frozr GTX560Ti. Possibly just use the one board graphics if the board has some built in and try running it without the MSI Twin Frozr GTX560Ti installed, and see if you get any output to the monitor then. If not then its definitely a faulty board.

6. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

You said your previous board failed, did something go bang? Might be you fried some other component when that failed, I would test the gpu, cpu and ram on another system if possible.

Had a quick look at the manual (which includes gems such as: "You can barely see the golden finger if the memory module is properly inserted in the DIMM slot."), there does not appear to be a speaker or post code led on the board, so very difficult to get an indicator from the board if it is a component failure :( I find that a riduculous omission, so much so I am thinking I cannot be right, this is a popular board, hopefully someone who owns one will turn up soon and set me straight.

7. cyberspice

yeah, the previous board failed and took the cpu with it. the CPU was replaced by the supplier, so the one I'm using is brand new. I have tested the GPU in another computer and there's nothing wrong there. Only thing to do is test the RAM.

I have found the speaker POST codes on MSI's support forum, but the speaker isn't making any beeps at all which doesn't help! I've posted on there too but not got a reply as yet....

8. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Aha! Had another look, like most modern boards, no speaker installed as stock, from the manual you can connect a speaker to pins 2 and 8 of connector JFP2.

9. cyberspice

First of all, gotta say I appreciate you making such an effort to help out!

That's exactly what I'd done already tho... I had a PC speaker from my old mobo lying around so I had that installed on the board. It makes no beeps at all, which leads me to think it's either a faulty CPU or a bad mobo

10. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

:p Glad to hear you are clued up but sad to hear that there was no post code, that really sucks. Hows about the PSU, maybe if that went bang it is no longer sending power out of some of its rails? Really at this stage all I can say is as long as all the components are seated properly it must be the PSU, motherboard, memory, cpu or gpu, and I think you already had that, really is a bitch not knowing which one it is for sure, hopefully someone else with the board might be able to suggest, sorry about that.

11. saemilin

saemilin What's a Dremel?

has this been solved? because i'm having the same issue... no input detected on my display when i boot up. no sound... everything is on, but no output.

12. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

You might be best to create your own thread detailing your specs and what you've tried so far.