1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays No signal from PC

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by fargo, 18 Oct 2011.

1. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

upgrading my granddaughters old compaq graphics with onboard video. never worked on a compaq
    before so I checked their support on this and I uninstalled the onboard graphics and its display
    driver like it said to do in xp and changed to pci-e in the bios. shut down and installed the graphics
    card which has no external power cable hook up. I hooked this pc up to a hdtv with a vga pc port and to the vga port on the back of the pc. the pc seemed to boot ok but no signal to the tv. so I tried
    a dvi to vga adapter connected to the video card and no signal. the tv was getting a signal when
    using the pc with the onboard video no video card installed. the video card is new and I had it tested
    before it shipped. now the all important question any idea's....thanks

2. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Sure the screen resolution you have is supported by the tv?

Lift be worth connecting up a normal screen to check that dvi/dsub work ok

3. enterobsidian

enterobsidian Hopless World Wonderer

Does the graphics card come with a disk? When I fitted a graphics card to my desktop recently I had to install the graphics drivers blind. Just inserted the disk and started the computer, which ran the disk and installed them.

Hope this helps
    enterobsidian

4. gerardmcmanus

gerardmcmanus What's a Dremel?

if its an old pc, and a new gaphics card, you might find that the driver just dont support the motherboard, worth checking with the graphics card manufacturer, but the screen res is definately worth checking first as adviced by dynamis_dk.

5. short1uk

short1uk Minimodder

Also dont be to hasty to turn the machine off after 10 seconds. WAIT! I had a machine same sort of thing no signal kept turning it off checking this checking that and all I needed to do was wait. For some weird reason it wouldn't display the bios to the newly fitted graphics card it would use the onboard but then as windows came up it used the new card. So so weird and I couldn't figure out why either!

Put the vga back on to the onboard and connect back to the tv does the picture show?

6. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

at first I disabled onboard then fitted the video card and connected to the mb vga and no signal
    then removed the video card and got the signal. will windows xp inable onboard on boot up even
    with pci e selected in bios? even after that I uninstalled onboard and the old display driver and no
    signal. windows does not give a choice for the hdtv's native resolution of 1366x768 the highest
    res. is set to 1024xsomething. do you suppose the card can't use the res thats set?

7. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I think over VGA that's the max res you can output to a TV. I might be wrong though. You could try to force it at a driver level by making a custom resolution. But if it won't out put at all then my suggestion is a bit of a moot point.

8. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I'd be tempted to set something like 800x600 and try it. My TV is full HD but the VGA will only accept a 1024x768 signal max. When I output from the PC using HDMI i can get the full 1080 so it won't hurt to try a lower one.

9. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

May be worth clearing the CMOS then trying from the new card BIOS's can have a mind of there own sometimes.

Most motherboards will detect the Card and disable the onboard graphics.

Also what graphics card and motherboard are we talking about?

Let us know how you get on buddy.