1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Mostly new PC emits high tone and crashes in Windows setup

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Allubz, 19 Oct 2011.

1. Allubz

Allubz What's a Dremel?

Dear Tech'ers,

Over the weekend I collected a few system parts:
    ASUS P8P67-B3
    Intel 2600K

Own parts:
    ASUS HD5870 1GB V2
    Zalman ZM600-HP (modular, a few years old)
    RAM

The 2600K is used and supposedly bought in working order. The CPU came packaged in toilet paper in a quality box with a lot of protection material in it. There was a bit of hardened thermal gresae on the contact side of it - I cleaned this when I re-assembled the system.
    The P8P67-B3 is bought in new-state as it was a return from the B3-revision send-in. It's not tested on defects, but new out of the box.
    There's no issue with the RAM is it was taken from a working system and I have another 4 sets of DDR3 laying around which all functin perfectly fine.
    The GPU has been working without problems to date.

So from my old setup, which had a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 and Phenom II X2 555 (@ X4 3,8GHz), I only changed out the mobo and CPU.

The following problems occur:
    - When I start the PC a high tone (frequency-tone) is continually emitted from the CPU-area. It's like a tinitus sound (the one you can have after listening to some very loud sound). This tone does NOT occur when I remove the GPU (which of course had it's PCI-E cables connected and double-checked).
    - It seems the PC is endlessly stable in the BIOS. As soon as I Windows setup and the copying is finished so the PC starts unpacking, it doesn't take long (random time) and he PC resets. Only once it resetted before unpacking, but then I accidentally clicked the "Upgrade" option, but I'm not sure whether the PC registered this click.

I'm sure nothing happened to my PSU in the meantime. I turned off the PC the normal way and directly switched out the mobo+CPU - no big downtime inbetween. Moreover, I disassembled and reassembled the previous AMD CPU+mobo at least 20 times last year, because of my review work.
    It's fairly impossible the CPU would be overheating as it hangs below 40c in BIOS and is under watercooling.

What surprises me with this issue is that the CPU obviously isn't (completely) broken, but the sound seems to emit from it. Also the motherboard can barely be broken, as it's new out of the box.

So up to this moment I reassembled the system twice to no avail. GPU in the second PCI-E gives same result.

After a CMOS reset I got this message: "power supply surges detected during the previous power on. ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit!"

Anyone input on this, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

2. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

The ram you used. Was it from the old Phenom system? Because sandy bridge setups like a slightly different flavour of DDR3 that runs at 1.5v, this could cause some instability. (but not sure it would cause a hard reset, rather a blue screen or lock up).

Try checking the ram voltage in the BIOS. See what its currently running at, try setting it manually to 1.5v

Also, the PSU..... can you use another to test? If you can then do it just to rule out the PSU. They can make strange whining noises after a while!

It may be that you have 2x issues. One could be a noisy PSU, or whining capacitor on the motherboard. The other could be a stability issue perhaps caused by ram. Or you could have a faulty PSU that is causing both issues.

Might be worth disconnecting each component and running the system bare to elimate what is making the noise

Last edited: 19 Oct 2011
  3. Allubz

Allubz What's a Dremel?

Thank you for a quick response!

I have 5 kits of RAM. One is an older 2x2GB 1.65v GeIL 2133 CL9 and the new ones are all GeIL 2x4 or 4v4 1.5v kits. I started with the 2x4 and put in the 2x2 later to test but both had the same problem.

What wonders me is the following:
    - ASUS PSU message
    - Whining tone only when GPU is not installed
    - Tone seems to come from around / at CPU

I'll see if I can get a PSU to check on it's quality tomorrow, as it's 7:15PM here.

EDIT: Got the UD7 up and running again at X3 3.6GHz... no issues whatsoever.

4. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I would exchange the motherboard and try it then. failing that try a different cpu.

5. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

It is entirely possible the mobo is faulty straight out the box- DOA or more or less is rare, but I've seen enough people report issues like this with new parts so it isn't unheard of.

A different PSU and gfx card would be worth testing, or onboard graphics if possible/ present ( canny make head nor tail of the official specs for that board ).

6. bdigital

If youve tested the psu and gpu in another build ans there were no probs, then it has to be thr mobo or cpu :(

if you have access to another sandy board then its worth trying the cpu in another one.

my suspicion would be the mobo. Might be worth asking for another while its still early days

7. Allubz

Allubz What's a Dremel?

Well.. I changed in the UD7 + Phenom II X2 setup again, fresh Win7 installation on RAID-0 et voila: BSOD's and freezes, especially when in-game.
    It seems either the PSU or GPU is broken, as the BSOD showed either DX or ATI driver-related errors.

Now I thought of installing Win7 on a single disk to make sure it wouldn't be a HDD-related RAID problem (as I wasn't sure about the quality of the second drive), but whilst installing on a single drive I got a BSOD during setup...sadly.

So I think I'm actually looking at the PSU, altough this puzzles me.

I'll keep you updated.

8. gerardmcmanus

gerardmcmanus What's a Dremel?

My guess would be the GPU, m/b emit a beep when a part is not correctly connected. I have never heard of one coming from the CPU but it might be that. If so, try running it with the on board graphics, and just to be on the safe side, I would check over the CPU to ensure there are no bent pins that could be causing a broken connection.

9. Allubz

Allubz What's a Dremel?

There's no onboard graphics on the P67.

Besides that, the GPU works splendid on the AMD setup I ran before and right now, after the Intel try-out.

Disregard my last message too. I think this happened due to too tight RAM settings, after I just reinstalled the whole system. I'm reinstalling now with stock settings for RAM on a single HDD and will run some stress tests to determine a system a fallout or not.

10. Allubz

Allubz What's a Dremel?

As the UD7 setup works flawlessly again, the only suspect to failure are:
    Mobo (new, but might have a capacitor broken = high tone)
    CPU (used, but does work in mobo, just when more load comes system fails)

I'll be getting the receipt for the mobo tomorrow or day after. I'll probably turn it in as defect and hope for a new one.

Currently I don't believe my PSU nor GPU (RAM is no prob for sure) is faulty, as they work splendid with AMD UD7 setup.

11. bdigital

Probably a silly question - But was the motherboard BIOS settings all running at default?

Im wondering if you somehow got given a used board with a pre existing overclock applied?! - So not sure if you tried re-setting to default at all?

Like i said, probably a silly suggestion lol

12. Allubz

Allubz What's a Dremel?

Naw, it was a B3 revision-return board. That means the original non-B3 owner got a different board and got this one in return (in the meantime) for this non-B3. It's brand-new, so no manual settings. I resetted the BIOS multiple times and it does too when applying a 'new CPU', even if you 'just take it out', it recognizes a new CPU.

That said, no odd settings and a brand new board. Still, a new board can have a broken capacitor. That's what I'm thinking right now.

Thank you for thinking with me though

13. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

If it only happens when the GPU is connected i would say the GPU is too much for that board..

I would see if you can find out exactly how much pull the GPU has on the system..

Good luck!

14. bdigital

No worries bud, was just thinking out loud.

Im leaning towards a dodgy board too. I keep a spare board for occasions like this! Dont spose youve got anyone nearby who cohld help out?

If not its a return job I think :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

15. Allubz

Allubz What's a Dremel?

Yep, that would've been great.. a backup board. I had one for my AMD set, but not for this brand new SB setup.

I RMA'd the board. ASUS is probably going to take a good few weeks.

Last edited: 21 Oct 2011
  16. Allubz

Allubz What's a Dremel?

Will soon enough know whether the CPU is borked or not, picking up a GENE-Z tomorrow. Don't want to wait for ASUS' extremely latent RMA process.

17. bdigital

Fingers crossed matey. I hope it sorts it out

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

18. Allubz

Allubz What's a Dremel?

The GENE has no problems whatsoever. It was the P8P67 that was DOA.