1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Photo of the Day

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by bentleya, 25 Jul 2009.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

2. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 What's a Dremel?

This is perhaps one of the best photos of New York I've ever seen.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

Congrats Dave!

4. stonedsurd

:) Congratulations (sounds weird, like saying "Well done for bonking the missus!")

You have many sleepless nights ahead but my folks say they're worth it.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Thanks guys - it's been amazing so far; I'm very tired, but it's all worth it. :)

+ nice photos as usual - the ones of NYC remind me of my honeymoon. Love them!

7. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yes Tim that is a stunning photo. :thumb:

Mummy and baby :D

[​IMG]

9. stonedsurd

This is perhaps one of the nicest things anyone has ever said about any of my photographs. Thanks :D
    Cheers :)

I don't know why, but this just looks like a 'picture' to me. There's no 'wow' factor like most of your other shots. I would have said I prefer your wider shots in general but I've loved a lot of your tighter compositions (barley, the signpost fern, the little path) but this just looks like 'Oh trees' to me.

Do I make sense or just rambling?
    Yawning? Crying? Adorable :thumb:

[​IMG]
    Tallest by angad84, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    South by angad84, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Central Park in Blue by angad84, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Darkness Falls by angad84, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Golden by angad84, on Flickr

The last two are kind of similar, shot a few minutes apart. Couldn't decide which one I liked better, so they're both up :p

10. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

Stop it with the NYC shots! They are amazing and now I *really* want to go back! :)

11. stonedsurd

I have zillions. Sorry.

Planes tomorrow?

12. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

hmmm - flights are about £400...got some spare pennies for me? :)

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thanks for the kind comments all.

Don't worry, not every photo is everyone's cup of tea and even fewer are significant - I appreciate the feedback regardless because, as I'm writing at the moment, there's no right way to see and no right way to read a photograph. What made me make a photo was the way the light was playing with the trees - it felt like a place I wanted to walk through in a dreamy kind of way. It fits quite well with the project for that reason (the forest is visited by around 600,000 visitors a year) and it has that kind of fresh, but uplifting feeling for me. It brings a smile to my face, even though I have vivid memories of being attacked by ants and flies while setting everything up - that didn't matter to me, as the beauty sort of took everything else out of the equation.

It's interesting what you say about the tighter compositions - most of the images I've posted are made with standard to long lenses (180, 240 or 300mm - which work out at about 45, 60 and 75mm in 35mm money) with my widest lens being a 105mm that I rarely use - I no longer carry it in my bag... that's how rare. :) I've also got a 135mm, which is slightly wider than a 35mm, but I use that fairly selectively - it's the lens I use when my standard 180mm isn't wide enough, more than anything.

I presume that you mean the more intimate pictures when you say tighter compositions - or have I misinterpreted what you said? :)

Anyway, here's another image from August/September

[​IMG]
    Obstacle Course by TimSmalley, on Flickr

Also on Velvia 100F, but with a 180mm lens

LennyRhys likes this.
  14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

LOVE the pattern in that one. :thumb:

15. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

stonedsurd - Stop with the damn pictures. They're incredible, they really are amazing. It's the one city I have to visit before I die. Don't care about the rest, but I have to go there.

Makes me want to push NYC for our uni holiday in the summer.

16. stonedsurd

I'm actually saving up for a trip around Thanksgiving. I probably won't make the target, and in all honesty, I could probably do a cheap-ish roadtrip instead of blowing serious cash on NYC. All I know is that I really want to go back.
    I know just what you're saying here. Very often, people don't like pictures that I am extremely fond of (like this one) while others that I like enough but hardly fall among my favorites get a lot of gushing from folks (like so).

Sometimes (in fact, very often for me) you take a picture so that it makes your heart sing, and never mind about any one else.
    That's exactly what I meant.
    Now this does work for me :D
    DO IT. It's an amazing city. A month wouldn't be long enough for the amount there is to see and do (and DRINK) there.

I think I have a handful more lying unloved in some corner of my disks (really should start organizing) and then I'll move on to airshow shots.

17. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Just to prove Tim's point about different opinions of photographs, I prefer the trees over the fungus. In the tree photograph, I enjoy how the light cascades down the leaves, eventually pooling at the bottom of the picture. When I look at that picture, I can hear the leaves rustling in the wind, and I imagine the sound to be the light as it pours from the top left, hitting the middle section and splashing to the right, then draining back to the bottom left. I called it a photograph of trees, but the light on the leaves is the true subject in my opinion.

Although the photo of the fungus is visually interesting - there is a nice contrast between the bright and delicate edges of the fungus compared to the dark and fuzzy moss - The bright lines seem to carry my eye to the pine straw in the background in the bottom-left corner. I don't know if that is intentional; the pine straw does nothing for me, yet I can't keep my eyes off it.

18. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 What's a Dremel?

Agreed. I really like the feeling of the shaded trees with the leaves glowing in sunlight. And on a technical level, it's amazing how detail is retained in both the shadows and the highlights. The fungus on the other hand is a bit much for me. The highlights around the edges are too much. What I do like about that shot though is how the plane of focus is positioned. Very clever :thumb:

Here's another picture from my recent trip to the Eastern Sierras - a blue morning at Sabrina Lake with the first morning light on the Sierra Crest. I woke up an hour before dawn, drove from the town of Bishop up into the mountains, and setup in the cold darkness waiting for the first light. It was so cold, my plastic water bottle shattered when it hit the ground after falling out of my backpack! I liked the lines in the water and the rows of pine trees leading from the mountains down to the shoreline. I would have killed for a cloud though...

[​IMG]
    Sunrise over Sabrina Lake by Ligoman17, on Flickr

Also, as I've been typing this we just had a pretty good sized earthquake! I should probably head outside.

Last edited: 21 Oct 2011
  19. Xir

Xir Modder

Same here, except I don't want to get the criminal treatment and be searched and fingerprinted just to go there.

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thanks again for all the kind words - I'm being quite productive in getting through a backlog of images at the moment. Here's another one from the same forest, part of the same project.

[​IMG]
    Theatre of light by TimSmalley, on Flickr

Portra 160, 180mm lens. There was around 14 stops of dynamic range and there's detail right through. Silhouette? Almost impossible. Blown highlights? Equally difficult.