1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Corsair Blue version "800D" - inside design update 21-10-2011

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Niel, 21 Sep 2011.

1. Niel

Niel What's a Dremel?

Hi guys..

Introduction

This is my first real casemod. Earlier I had people to make me a casemod but I was never satisfied with the result. Therefore I decided to make my own casemod.

After some research for corsair 800D watercooling system I got a few ideas to the design and materials.

I am not gonna go into details about the design and materials. I am gonna let it be a surprise for you so please keep an eye on this log to see the surprises.

That was a short introduction about the history behind this project.

Biography

My name is Carsten, I am 25 years old and I am located in Denmark. For people there don’t know where Denmark is, it is a small country in Europe above Germany.

Special thanks to:

[​IMG]

Hardware

Cabinet “case”: Corsair 800D
    Motherboard. “Mobo” : GA-P67A-UD7 - Rev 1.0
    Processor. ”CPU”: Intel i7 2600K - I´m going to oc it, so hopefully i will get a 4,6 ghz 24/7 and for some test 5 + ghz, but i will return with the resulted when the system is finish.
    Graffikcard “GFX”: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Cheesecake Hydro Copper 2 SLI
    Memory “ram”: I am not sure yet
    Powersupply ”PSU”: Corsair AX 1200
    Harddrive ”HD”: Corsair SSD Force Series 2,5” 120 GB
    Harddrive “HD”: Western digital Caviar Green 2 TB * 3.

Monitors”: Acer GF245HQbid – 120 MHz 3d-ready. * 2

Cooling

My computer will be placed in my bed room and therefore I need it to be as silence as possible. That’s the main reason why I have decided to build a watercooled system. Furthermore the cooling system gives me some other features. The watercooling system gives the computer a more refined look and the systems performance will increase.

Radiator: XSPC RX 480 and RX 240
    Pumps: Two Laing DDC T1 (10W)
    CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT Rev. 2
    GTX: Evga orginal waterblock for 580
    Reservoirs: XSPC Laing DDC BayRes Two
    Fittings: Koolance Nickel-plated steel
    And hopefully more but it depends on my income.

Other product / materials
    Acryl; The color will be a surprise”
    Some lighting
    MDPC Sleeve

I guess by now you have read a lot and got all the important details for this casemod. So let the show begin 

Modding

Modding for 480 XSPC Radiator

[​IMG]

For the top part I cut a hole to fit a xspc 480 radiator. To give a nice finish and keep out dust I ordered a bitspower raid grill for a 480 radiator. It fits perfectly into the style and color. In order to make the raid grill stuck to the cabinet there's been drilled out holes for the RIVET DOME HEAD - BLACK.

Holes for the rivet dome head

[​IMG]

I have made the same cuts and holes in the bottom part to fit a 240 XSPC radiator. I also ordered a raid grill to the 240 model.

Modding for 240 XSPC Radiator

[​IMG]

Finally a picture so you can get an idea of how it looks when it is mod and before I start to put in the hardware and change things inside the cabinet.

Corsair 800D from the side

[​IMG]

I prefer to start changing the inside look, but I am still missing some of the materials to do it beautifully. In the meantime I tested the watercooling system.

The reason I test my equipment before I put it into the cabinet, is that I have experience with previous systems that if something is leaking or something does not work you have to take everything out and start over. Furthermore if the system is leaking it can in worst case scenario damage the hardware.

The following pictures are just to illustrate how I have tested it.

Testing the H2O

[​IMG]

The picture is from my small kitchen. I properly haven’t done it as skilled in the water cooling and casemod as professionals would have done. Therefore, you are more than welcome to come with advice for the best way to do this part.

First I tested the hardware with original cooler system. It seemed like all the hardware worked fine and therefore I have installed the cooling components on the hardware.

Then I connected the radiators which will cool the entire system, the cooling components and pumps. Then I turned on the water and let it run trough for about 10 minutes to see if it was leaking anywhere. Afterwards I let the system run for several hours to make sure that everything still functioned. Luckily there was no leak so I concluded that the system was ready for mounting.

Now everything was ready to be installed in the case. Some days before I finished the test I received a package.

Sleeving update

The package was from MDPC with all the sleeving materials. So the last few days I have spend all the time to organize my table with the various wires, etc. I have also thrown myself into the world of sleeving for the first time and you can see some of the result in the following photos.

[​IMG]

Here is my first result.

[​IMG]

Sleeving the sata cable

[​IMG][​IMG]

Laing pump sleeving

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PSU Sleeving

The last few days I have spent on getting organized PSUs sleeving. However I have not done the 24 pin cable yet because I want to do it in the end. The reason why I want to wait with the 24 pin cable is that I have made many beginner mistakes but finally I feel like I am getting the grip.

See the results below.

Pci-e 6 pin, I still need to find the right solution for the 8 pins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 - pin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My solution for the 8 pins. However I am not satisfied with the result so I hope to improve the 8 pin later on.

Sata 6th Corsair

Corsair was kind enough to send me an upgrade Kit to USB 3.0 and SATA 6th Below we see the new sata plate which is slightly different from the old one. There is only one power connector and SATA cables are oriented vertically instead of horizontal.

Results

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/2263/no6d.jpg

[​IMG]

I discovered that I needed longer "power cable / SATA power cable" or what do you call them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately throughout the process I accidently cracked the two connectors. So I needed to start over again.

See pictures below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shot sleeving update before I finish the 24 pins

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am almost done with all the sleeving but when I look at my mod it is a little bit boring. Therefore I slightly changed the plans. I have removed the middle of the case to improve the look.

I will not reveal yet what I am going to do but here is a little sneak peek. First I will cut a new plate that looks different and is larger. Besides the new plate I will use acrylic for the inside cabinet. So there is a good reason to keep an eye on this worklog.

So guys, thank you for your time. I hope you enjoyed my worklog so fare.

During this week and weekend I will hopefully finish my build.

Hope you enjoyed it and will keep an eye on me... :thumb:

/ / Niel

Last edited: 18 Dec 2011
    Marcos_Viegas likes this.
  2. Niel

Niel What's a Dremel?

A little update.

Unfortunately I needed an operation in my knee and therefore my worklog has been put on standby for some time. I had to lie still for two weeks and spend the time looking at a lot of different builds and ordre the last materials for this build

The modding world is amazing.

When I started back in the 2009 with the idea about this project I had not imagined that there was so many things I want to do with my computer. In the beginning I thought that water-cooling was so nice and that was the goal for this project. But after nearly two years now I have committed myself so much to this world that I need to do something more.
    After a lot of inspiration from Richard | Kier and other builds on the internet I have decided to change the inside design of the corsair 800D.

I try to do my best in google skethup to illustrate the idea I have in mind for the inside design of the case.

[​IMG]

The materials will be made in acrylic, in two layers. One layer in blue and one layer in black.
    I know people might say that it is similar to what Kier have done with his Silverstone Carbon TJ 11and that’s true. I love the work and design Kier have made for his case and hope to make my computer as beautiful as his.

When I finish cutting acrylic I will cut out holes for tubes, cables, etc. This picture is just for illustrating the design I have in mind.

Today I finish a little project. My girl friend and I live in a small apartment and I do not have lot of space for a desk. I decieded that the best solutions was to build my own desk.

See the result below.

Before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After.

For wires I cut the corner of. The picture is taken from the bottom up.

[​IMG]

I cut out a little piece for one power wire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking forward to i can use this place.

[​IMG]

Futhermore my father came today with some materials for the inside design of the cabinet. I tried to get the same cooler as the tube, sleeving and the screens foot.

Materials - acrylic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need some materials. They will arrive next week.

And finaly my dad had a surprise for me. a gift.

[​IMG]

Guys this is all for now.. Over and out. :clap:

Niel

3. L1U

L1U Minimodder

the 800D is such a great case, a mod almost cant fail in there, good luck!

waiting for some dremel magic :)

4. Niel

Niel What's a Dremel?

Thanks L1U. I agree with you in what you say about the Corsair 800D!

I also got a finaly result of my sleeving work..

[​IMG]

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Very nice start, keep it up :thumb:

6. Niel

Niel What's a Dremel?

The_Beast. Gracias ;-)

7. Niel

Niel What's a Dremel?

Plexi update

Helo Guys.

Finaly i am back... I have work the whole day long and here are some of the results for today. There will came a new update tomorrow..

As i told you in last update, i will change the inside design. In the follow picture below you can see some of the things i am going to change.

Plexi cut for the inside design.

[​IMG]

After that, i need to cut some difficult holes for the cables.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish i had a laser cutter. :-/..

Some few change in the cabinet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last thing I for today. The top of the kabinet outside design are finish.

[​IMG]

That was all for tonight .. I will be back tomorrow night with a new update..

Hope you will enjoy this little update and sorry for the long time you had to wait for this update. Hopefully i will finish this projekt in the next two weeks.

// Niel

8. miahallen

miahallen Team IRONMODS - World Champions!

Don't we all :rolleyes:

Oh well, we have to work with what tools we have :dremel:

Very nice job on the sleeving for your first go, cheers :thumb:

9. KiiYzOo

KiiYzOo What's a Dremel?

10. Niel

Niel What's a Dremel?

Thanks dude.

To everybody..

Concerning the scheduled update on today’s work, I am sorry to disappoint you that I can’t continue my work before I receive Akrifix 116 that I need to glue the acrylic materials together.

I hope to be able to continue my work this Tuesday.

11. Niel

Niel What's a Dremel?

New materials

In my last update I promised to come with a quick update last Sunday. This update never came since I haven’t received some materials and therefore decided to wait with my update.

Today I finally received the package with the materials and hopefully this will be the final materials I need to buy for this project and I hope to be done with this entire project by the end of the week.

New materials

[​IMG]

Can you guess what there is inside?!

[​IMG]

Inside the package there were different cooling elements plus liquid from EK. I am looking forward to test the elements hope that it will look amazing in my final setup.

[​IMG]

6 * EK - Ekoolant - UV BLUE - 1L – the new liquid that are suppose to function well in EK cooling blocks. Furthermore the liquid is supposed to give and unique blue effect (light) which will fascinate the viewer.

[​IMG]

Some cooling tops for my setup.

1. stk. EK-Supreme HF - Acetal+EN (Nickel)

1. stk. EK-FB KIT GA P67A (UD7) - Acetal + Nickel

1. stk. EK-RAM Dominator - Acetal+EN (Nickel) for this block I added new ram. I am going to show them in a later update.

Below is a picture of the complete EK products. It looks great! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well with the new cooling liquid I simply had to change the tubes in order to get the full benefit of the blue effect. I have changed the blue MasterKleer - 15,9/12,7 without the regular transparent MasterKleer - 15,9/12,7. This will give the liquid the best effect.

[​IMG]

Besides these products the package contained a whole lot of fittings from Koolance plus a selection of other small stuff.

Wednesdays work

Now I will tell you a bit about the job I have done today. I started to install the inside design of the cabinet.

The carving to Fillport where the water cooling tubes are going through the middle plate made by blue plaxi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see I have had some difficulties with the Fillport which are cut too big. Therefore I had to find a solution where I would have room for the fittings, the Fillport plus that the middle plate would be placed correct.

[​IMG]

Since I haven’t got a lot of tools my solution where to use a demel and the result was perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see everything fits perfectly and I am satisfied with the result.

Finally an overview over the fittings and how they will be used in the system. A bunch of different Koolance fittings which helps to make the design more complete and unified.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the update for today. Tomorrow I will continue my work and hope to be able to make an update by the end of the day.

:)

Last edited: 20 Oct 2011
  12. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

Nice. More please!

13. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Nice work ...the black & gold motherboard looks great in the 800D too :thumb:

14. Niel

Niel What's a Dremel?

Inside design update 21-10-2011

So guys..

As I promised last time the next update i will come with should be a big update. Unfortunatly the tubing i have recieved are to small for my fittings. Today I ordre some new tubing and this time in a better quality. Tygon tubing. I will get that on Tuesday.

Therefore the projekt are not completed. To give a picture of the inside design i have used my old tubing. I am very satisfied with how it looks.

Furtermore i have a air issue in the bottom of the cabinet. Therefore i ordre one more raid grill from bitpower. To solved the air issue i will cut out a hole on the other site of the window site. Then i will mount the raid grill and through that i can push out the air from the bottem of the cabinet.

Hardware

Gigabyte P67-U7-rev1, with EK waterblock.

[​IMG]

And then my new ram as i talk about in the early update.

Corsair Dominator - GT 16 GB - 1866 MHZ

[​IMG]

EK waterblock "EN version" or Corsair Dominator

[​IMG]

Preview of the inside design.
    :rofl:

[​IMG]

Tight, but nice. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe you can imagine the final result. It is super delicious i think.

Thx guys..

15. Niel

Niel What's a Dremel?

Maybe, but not a part of my plan, as you can see in the next update.. :)