1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage HDD Prices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Behemoth, 21 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Thus begins the great migration to SSD!

2. moody89

moody89 Minimodder

Couldn't agree more! Was about to say the same thing myself! SSDs are going to look a lot more appealing to people now - particularly those who already have a storage drive or whose HDD has gone faulty. It's hard to believe a F1 1TB has nearly doubled in price.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Well, all 64GB SSDs (except the enterprise ones) are now cheaper than the 1TB 3.5" hard drives or most of the 2.5" hard drives (a example of the cheapest one in every category if we forget about Toshiba which forgot to update their prices for now :D - 73.3€ for a 250GB, 78€ for 320GB, 84€ for 500GB or 110€ for 750GB).

4. c0sm1c

c0sm1c What's a Dremel?

I saw news of the price rise in a post on OcUK forums last week...ddnt really beieve it..and OcUK had put there prices up that day by near 1.5 of HDD's generally. I orederd two hard drives that night finding a good price on another site for them. Next day they had all gone up by £15-20 which was pretty shocking overnight really. I felt kinda lucky :
    Anyhow...may well be the last I buy....SSD all the way now.

5. shadow_boxer

shadow_boxer Minimodder

Shocking really how much they have gone up. Really could do with another 2TB drive but will wait for while.

6. moody89

moody89 Minimodder

Unfortunately, I have heard from several places that prices might not go back down until well into 2012. Apparently manufacturer's have to make up for the losses they will face this quarter. Don't quote me on it though and fingers crossed that's not the case!

7. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

We have become VERY used to very cheap storage.. SSD cannot replace a 2 TB media drive...

End of cheap storage era is over, at least for 12 months.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

No but the inclination for a small performance based boot drive seems more appealing in light of the price hike on HDD.

9. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

apart from the stock in a distributors warehouse is live pricing.. so we have drives that can have different costs but be the same drive. Basically that stack of 1000 drives we got in last week cost us $40 yesterday today could be $60

10. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

This. It's estimated that hard drive prices are going to increase 30% or so.

11. faugusztin

@padre: not like it is going to change anything now in hard drive industry. Few months ago maybe, but now it is like pissing in ocean. You know you did it, but considering a total shortage of other materials (namely hard drive motors), production and logistic problems the rare element shortage is the smallest of all problems. Plus it is not like China is the only country with rare earth elemenets, it is just the cheapest one, so no one does extract theirs in other countries. Once Chine does this few more times the local rare earth industry will get a subsidy in some countries, or it will become economically viable to do so because companies will be willing to buy at little bit higher price, but with 100% delivery safety.

12. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Bought a couple of 2TB drives off scan last weekend costing me £80 each, now they are £115 each. £70 saved which is a heck of a lot of money in a single week.

13. faugusztin

@MrWillyWonka: 4xWD20EARS for 300€ about a month ago... I could buy maybe two today for the same price :D.

14. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

Latest is that WD and Seagate are trying to buy their stock back from distis, so that they can honour their delivery commitments to HP and Dell.
    Doooo it just gets worse and worse.

15. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

There is no stock to buy back.. they are still feeding us stock but we have zero visibility to what we are receiving. I doubt any other disties have stock either

16. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I'm just glad I don't need any more HDD's myself, I've got plenty of storage and if I need more I'll go looking at whats available second hand, there's always someone looking to get rid of a hard drive or two :)

17. McDuff32

McDuff32 Minimodder

Scan Samsung 1tb has gone up £4 between this morning and tonight lols

I came a cropper on that one.

18. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

£62 now, jeez!

19. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Worth looking at external HDD, dont think these will have been affected yet.. slight delay in affect

20. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

You seem to be correct, externals are currently cheaper than internals in many cases

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.