1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 24 Oct 2011.

1. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Well, let me take a guess that a manufacturer isn't going to screen out a pcb and solder a bunch of useless components to it just to make it look good. I'd be more impressed by a nearly naked PCB that produced amazing sound than one loaded with components, personally. Not that I'm all that impressed by this glorified headphone amp, mind you. I'm just saying, maybe chalk it up advances in tech? Remember when PCs had off-die memory controllers and actual, discrete north bridges? Kinda like that.

2. jhng

jhng What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the review.

Did you get a chance to try it out for recording incoming audio? It would be interesting to know whether the a/d converters are worthwhile.

3. MBCH

MBCH What's a Dremel?

What a joke of a soundcard. Huge as a brick and the optical out I thought it has is actually an optical IN. Completely useless to me and prolly most people.

4. LedHed

LedHed What's a Dremel?

"The Sound Core3D chip at the Recon3D’s heart is much, much smaller than the old X-Fi audio processors, but boasts a four-core design that combines a digital signal processor (DSP), digital-to-analogue converters (DACs) and analogue to digital converters (ADCs) that enable it to handle audio as ably as its PCI-E, resistor-covered forebears."

You would expect someone posting reviews for Bit-Tech to know the difference between a resistor and a capacitor. I'm not saying they have to know how they work, but at least know what they look like....

The "resistor-covered forebears" should say capacitor-covered forebears.

5. LedHed

LedHed What's a Dremel?

Almost all of the higher end models (like Auzentech) feature solid capacitors and high end circuitry to always lower THD and improve signal quality overall. If a capacitor or resistor is "added for show" the voltage or amperage would blow something, since that is what resistors and capacitors influence. You can't just throw resistors and caps on a board like heat sinks...

Tags: Add Tags