1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ARM announces 44 per cent jump in profits

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 25 Oct 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Bloody Hellfire. Intel move over, there's a newcomer after your throne.

3. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

55.8 million profits ha! (while thats more than i have) thats what intel spends just on staff booze

4. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Yep. £55.8 mill, that's crumbs from the top table. But good luck to them, if that's mainly from licensing then it's like money for old rope, hope they use it well. And I'm sure they will.

5. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Not really.
    £55m, pre-tax no less, is a pittance. Simon Cowell paid close to that in income tax last year...

Compare that to the (American) net billions Intel made last year... There's no comparison.

If Intel really wanted to; they could easily do what ARM do better, cheaper. - There's just no incentive with such low margins...

6. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

go ARM go!

7. Xir

Xir Modder

Intel made ~2.2 billion in the same timeframe... ;)
    I'm sure they're shaking in their boots

8. warejon9

warejon9 What's a Dremel?

Yea but if you look at what ARM is worth compared to intel, as its a 44% increase that if i remember rightly is 20% more than Intel? Yea intel is still raking more money in but ARM is growing more. Also interestingly ARM is worth nearly twice AMD, and almost as much as Nvidia.

9. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Nice to hear of a British tech company doing well for a change, especially in these crappy financial times.

10. leeroy

leeroy What's a Dremel?

listen to this man, for he is no fool

11. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

I'm not sure I'm getting all the scepticism for ARM's profits increasing here. Allow me to elaborate:

ARM are experiencing massive growth of the company, in a world where electronics are seen as a luxury.

ARM have no way to get in to the traditional desktop/server market for now. They're managing this growth without selling a single PC component.

Windows 8 is ARM-compatible. That's the goal-post that ARM is aiming for right now.

ARM processors are scalable. Very much so. The SpiNNaker project aims to be using a MILLION ARM cores by end 2012. If these bad boys can be used in such a manner to simulate the human brain, they'll probably be just fine for any server work that can be thrown at their tiny low-power selves.

These are very exciting times for the boys at ARM.

12. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

It's the single core versus Multi-core argument all over again. For some workloads (Most desktop workloads); Single cores are better. In the server sector; Massively scalar workloads across something as power efficient as a million ARM based processors would trounce the typical processor quite well. (Assuming workloads that are 100% balanced across all cores, It's a bit of an ideal scenario, but you hopefully get the point.)

With more and more being optimized for RISC; It's possible that ARM could edge into the server market, and from there; grow rapidly. The foundation in mobile devices is also a boon in server stacks, as it means the processors should have some very good efficiency figures in that kind of an environment.

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Not a lot of profit considering the wide scale adoption of ARM in mobile devices and set tops etc, I guess their license model means they don't make a lot of money and there share value is over valued as they can't really make money as well as the people who build the devices,

I'm sure Qualcomm make more from their ARM cores than ARM do.

14. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Yeah the profit might be huge by Intel/Apple standards, but you forget they have a very low cost base. The don't physically make and chips at all. The don't have to spend R&D on FAB's etc, they have no risk on any individual products sucess etc. They have very little to lose, so over a million pounds per week profit for them is good.

15. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Id love to have a few thousand share of this company

16. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

qft

17. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Oh that is great, an EU company!

18. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

It's coming to servers - Canonical showed off an ARM server running Ubuntu just a couple weeks ago.

If nothing else, I'd rather have ARM shares now - not a dog like AMD (sadly) and I just can't feel good about throwing money at Intel (not that I've got a dime to invest, anyway.)

Let me admit up front that I'm pulling this entirely out of my ass, but dig: We already know Win8 will run on ARM. We also know that the past few cycles, MS' desktop and server OS run on the same kernel. Ergo, I think it's plain to see that there will be a MS Server OS running on ARM, no later than mid-2013.

Has any mention been made of what will succeed Server 2008? All the hype and BS around 8 and the Metro UI, I don't think I've heard a word about the next Server version.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

good to see them make a profit

AMD might be shaking as there profit margins are surely not in any better shape

intel could buy arm and still have change outta there profit they make

20. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Tags: Add Tags