1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards PC keeps Freezing

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Skies, 27 Oct 2011.

1. Skies

Skies What's a Dremel?

Before I say my problem, I would like to say some background, in case it may help :p

I managed to spill cider down my antec 900 top fan about 3 weeks ago, through my CPU heatsink and onto my graphics card.

From what I could tell the day after, it had gone through my heatsink and onto the back of my Hd 6870. The same day, I striped the whole PC and cleaned any Cider I found on the motherboard, GPU etc.

The HD 6870 seemed quite damaged, as it kept showing artifacts during normal windows use, as well as freezing randomly.

I replaced the graphics card about two weeks ago, and it was fine for about a week.
    It was at this point my PC decided to show this new symptom;

I can turn my PC off at night, then turn it on the next morning, where it wont POST.
    It will show the c45 770 BIOS screen thing, then do nothing.
    I can restart it, and its hit and miss if it actually boots.
    I've checked all connections about four times, and everything seems to be securely placed.
    Could it be the Motherboard?
    I don't want to be throwing money at my PC when it won't actually work(I'm a student)

Its also forgot the date/time, and shown me about CMOS settings failure during post.

I'm about certain its the Motherboard, but I don't want to end up throwing money at it if I doesn't work. This is a problem I've never encountered.
    I'm about ready to throw it out the window now, I've offered it a KFC and everything.:thumb:
    And I'll buy anyone who posts one too :p

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It could be your RAM.
    Already had a similar problem. Ended up being a faulty RAM. Yes, it includes the failed to POST problem.
    System has 2x 3GB of RAM.. remove one, didn't help, switch RAM, and now problem solved. The RAM was obviously RMA'ed

3. Deders

Deders Modder

What kind of cider are we talking? Some drinks like coke can be corrosive, others once dried up can work perfectly again.

Someone's dog once knocked a cup of tea into an open PC case, Nvidia FX5700 graphics card went straight away. A few days later once it had dried it worked fine again.

4. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

The mobile phone I dropped in the loo worked after a thorough rinse and a few days on the radiator, my brother's phone that went for a ride in the washing machine never worked again. :lol:

You could try some circuit board cleaner: http://www.maplin.co.uk/pcb-cleaner-27521?c=froogle&u=27521&t=module. It's actually for cleaning off excess flux after soldering, but it should also neutralise and rinse off any sticky residue left by drinks. I would disassemble everything and use a small paint brush to work it into DIM and PCI slots/sockets etc. then rinse out with some more, make sure it's all completely dry and then reassemble.

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I would agree with Goodbytes about the RAM, try one at a time, different slots and if possible another set altogether.

In addition, just connect the bare basics and it might be worth resetting the BIOS too.

6. GoodBytes

As for the BIOS forgetting the time, it could be that the battery holder is dirty and does not do proper contact with the battery, probably due to the accident.

On your way, use a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol, and look carefully at the motherboard, and RAM, to see if there is any left over dry drink spill, and clean it up.

7. Skies

Skies What's a Dremel?

Thank you for the replies,

I've tried another set of working RAM, and it still doesnt work.
    Also cleared CMOS, as well as replacing the battery.
    I'll give it another clean over the weekend.
    Just rather annoying, as it was running earlier today, froze during BF3, now refuses to POST :\

8. GoodBytes

Hopefully your motherboard didn't fry, but I have a feeling it did (assuming you have an image on the screen).

9. Skies

Skies What's a Dremel?

I'm hoping it didn't as well,
    Its funny, it will turn on sometimes and work fine, yet other days it won't bother.
    Considering all I do to it is turn it off, I'm rather clueless, I'll probably buy a new Motherboard in the next few days and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone, rep