1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice pc build help / Been a long time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by U U U, 28 Oct 2011.

1. U U U

U U U What's a Dremel?

Been a long time since I was here so I hope you don't mind me coming back to ask this. I have been asked to build a gaming pc (just base unit no perif) for £400 for someone's kid but I have been out the loop for so long I thought I would come and ask you guys if it's possible and for some recommendations for parts, don't want to be overclocking as I would rather buy stock retail cpu with cooler as this is not for me. Was going to put windows 7 pro on it with a student licence. Any help much appreciated.

yeah i did say it's been a long time.

Budget: £400
    Main uses of intended build: Gaming / everyday use
    Parts required: Complete base unit
    Previous build information (list details of parts): nothing- running dell dimension 5150
    Monitor resolution: connecting to a 26" Bush LCD 1366 x 768
    Storage requirements: nothing outstanding 250GB
    Will you be overclocking: no
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): onboard audio should be enough
    Extra information about desired system: run windows 7pro

Last edited: 28 Oct 2011
  2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

What resolution is he playing at?

3. U U U

U U U What's a Dremel?

sorry noizdaemon666 I did say I had been away along time lol will have to ask that and what type of games he is into. Thanks for taking the trouble to look will get info asap.

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

It's ok lol I put this together quickly. AMD based but I don't think you'll get a decent Intel system without second hand. Also it lacks a hard drive as they have risen in price massively, so one you have lying around or a second hand one would be good :) And you said you're getting Windows as a student so I didn't include that either. Oh and from Scan you'll qualify for free delivery as you have over 20 posts here :D

5. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Above build is good.
    Hard drive prices have nearly tripled in the last 2 weeks so salvage one from somwhere to reuse. You could probably also salvage a DVD drive from your current dell.

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

That's a really nice build noizdaemon666 has put together. Also check the 'Today Only' section of SCAN for discounts, they actually have that GTX 460 for £113.99! Might be worth getting a half decent CPU cooler on top.

7. U U U

U U U What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your quick replys, just been told it's connecting to a 32" Bush LCD via VGA:waah:, should I just shoot the teen now,LOL:duh: I see it has HDMI so will connect that way unless you for see a problem with that.

specs

Bush 26 Inch HD Ready Digital LCD TV.
    LCD TV: This Bush 26 inch HD Ready widescreen LCD TV has a digital tuner built-in. Virtual surround. Television picture quality: HD Ready. Freeview digital tuner. 26in (66cm) widescreen TV with 66cm visible screen size. Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels. 50Hz. Brightness 450cd/m2. Contrast ratio 1000:1 (native). Response time 8ms. Super engine image enhancement. Viewing angle 178/178 degrees. Progressive scan. Connectivity: 2 HDMI sockets. 2 SCART sockets. PC input socket. Component video socket. Headphone socket. AV socket (side)

Last edited: 28 Oct 2011
  8. U U U

U U U What's a Dremel?

Help again please

put these parts together with help from noizdaemon666 built it but it will not boot, dead as a doo doo I have connected my power supply to it and with my supply and the new one when i hit the power button the fan on the power units move about 1mm and stop, i get no beep codes and the power light is on the board. Typical trying to build this for someone's sons christmas any help with looking at spec to see if it should all work, on asus site it lists cpu's only as x2 and i have bought x4 will that stop it booting, should it support the x4. I am thinking as i am getting no error codes the board is knackerd.

Asus M5A78L-M LX
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition, S AM3, 3.0GHz, 8MB Cache, 95W, Retail
    4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.65V

full list of parts.

https://secure.scan.co.uk/aspnet/Shop/SavedBasket/Show.aspx?id=c8ff22f76bc94ce29a36a3b8ec58495c

cpu support list

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A78LM_LX/#CPUS

Last edited: 19 Dec 2011
  9. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

A dud motherboard sounds a reasonable diagnosis.
    Phone up scan and they'll sort it out.

10. U U U

U U U What's a Dremel?

Thanks do you think this board will run the 4core or will it just ignore 2 so should really just stick a 2 core in new board.

cpu support list

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A78LM_LX/#CPUS

11. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Yeah when I had a dud motherboard (sounds like same problem as you) and contacted scan they also asked me to return the CPU, board and memory (I bought all 3 at the same time from them). Tested all (only board faulty) and returned them to me with a new motherboard.

12. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Ahh double check the BIOS on their website and see what CPU's they support. You may need an older chip to update BIOS if thats the problem.

Edit: looking at the list the 960T needs BIOS 0404. The board probably has an older version. This may be your problem.

13. U U U

U U U What's a Dremel?

Hey thanks for taking the time the bios on the board according to the sticker is 0510 so that should do it, just wondering if i return this try and get a board that handles more than 95w cpu as that seems to be this boards limit.