1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Battlefield 3 PC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Oct 2011.

1. Deders

Deders Modder

for DX11 effects yes, and there's apparently a bug where DX10 Nvidia cards can only use low terrain detail for now. I can run the game with the spec in my sig pretty well on the very highest settings, although with some stuttering on one of the larger levels when out of video memory. The dual 580's is to ensure 60FPS at higher resolutions.

A single 580 averages at about 55Fps which I'd be perfectly happy with.

2. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I didn't pre-order - I told myself I wasn't going to buy BF3 - but I left work early and bought a physical version from GAME. £37.99 for the Limited "Pre-order" Edition.

I put Disc 1 in - 2 DVD's for a game?? - and it's promptly installed Origin and is now downloading the game. What's the point of selling a physical copy if it's going to demand that you register through EA's download service and then download the whole thing?

On second thoughts, why is the dvd drive blinking at me while the game is "downloading"? It looks like Origin might be confused as to what's happening. I know I am!

3. Teh Noob Slayer

Teh Noob Slayer What's a Dremel?

On mine it said 'downloading' but there is a download counter, it said it was occuring around at 11 megabytes/ second and I know my broadband connection tops out around 860 K bits, so it wasn't downloading.

4. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Got my copy from GAME.... 37.99 for the Limited Edition version (a preorder).. No way was I going to risk Amazon screwing me over again and delivering my game on a Monday rather than the friday (happened with Homefront). GAME are also charging 34.99 for the regular edition... which is odd ... so I get charged more for a pre-order ?! Looks like they are already adding markup for the karkland maps etc! Cheeky or what!

Tesco however seem to have lost the plot where I live... 39.90 for the PC version.. What the...! Might as well by on Origin for that price.

I do however have issues with this game....

1. It crashes. A lot. This afternoon I had a good run.... played 5 rounds no issues. This morning I was on the PC for about 3 hours, and 50% of the rounds bombed out with either crash to desktop, admin kicked, black screen of death... not sure if its a server issue or not, but the reliability of this game is shockingly bad at the moment.

No other games crash like this, and my temps are low, overclock is ultra stable, drivers and PB all updated and re-updated, running as admin.... etc etc etc ! Sigh...

2. The filter browser.... why on earth would I want to search for empty or full servers.. they need to be NOT empty or NOT full.... how did they miss this ? Basic testing 101 = failed.

3. I unlocked a red dot sight... and guess what... its not there in my unlocks or kit loading or anywhere... ppppft... I remember similar issues with COD Black Ops.. not impressed.

Whilst it looks beautiful, and plays well performance wise on my Q9550 @ 3.6Ghz / GTX 570 @ 1920x1200... the crashing and server problems (which happen to my mate too just as regular on his super powerful PC) are a thorn in this game's side.

Hopefully they can improve the stability (if they are not too busy counting the cash that is!)

5. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Lol yes that is amazing. Couldn't believe it myself. My biggest problem is the overlay only shows me objectives. I can't see players names, spots, who's on my team/enemies team. It puts me at a noticeable disadvantage, my mate had to shot at me so I knew it was him.
    This stuff worked fine in the beta. Yes D.I.C.E well done breaking that.

Speaking of playing with mates...there's no voicechat!? What. The. ****!??? That is almost unforgivable.

Playing on 570GTX Sli with 285.62 driver

6. sp4nky

Okay, loaded the game and it's given me my Origin account name as my soldier's name. Is there some way to have a differently named soldier?

7. shuffle

shuffle What's a Dremel?

Waiting for the Steam version.. funny as theres a couple of other BC2 players in the office, same thing - ie waiting to get it on steam - hopefully by Halloween ooooo

8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I have a massive problem with the MP part.

I'm colourblind, my squad and the enemy look the same colour to me.

Is there a colourblind mode, I cannot see one in the menu :|

9. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

Don't worry. That's only Origin copying every single piece of info off of your hard drives while the game slowly installs from the disk. :D
    You may as well go ahead and bend and grin. After you start receiving a gazillion spam mails exactly tailored to your browsing habits and every single keystroke you have ever made, and ever will make, you'll realize that you've been royally screwed! Enjoy. You've just joined the millions of other lemmings that have fallen for this scam.

10. sp4nky

It's alright, I get the same already from Superfi, Amazon and a bunch of other retailers.

11. gosh

gosh Minimodder

trust the bit-tech reviews so glad to have a brief summary but this is stuff i could get from any game site and quite frankly could have predicted half a year ago (SP that tries a bit too hard to be modern warfare, incredible open MP).

i'm far more interested in coming to a mainly hardware-review based website and finding how it would play on my hardly top of the line ATI 5770 and the range of graphics options available - rather know i can drop some screen clutter and environment detail for long sight distance and decent FPS in multiplayer.

hope a more technical review with some benchmarks gets upped once you get a chance, though from previous bf:bc2 experience free moments often come after the next unlock, and there is ALWAYS a next unlock :S

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Awesome review. Summed up Battlefield perfectly. I'll be linking this review to mates when I want to convince them to play BF3 with me.

13. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

No mention that Joysticks don't work.

Did bit-tech really review BF3 or just make it up?

14. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Run and gun with a joystick?:eyebrow: Felixstowe Pier circa 1989!

Ah, the memories!

15. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

?

16. t.y.wan

t.y.wan What's a Dremel?

The hit detection is the beta sucks... I am having a complete different experience than what this review is saying... In the beta, glitches and crashes happens all the time, getting shot around the corner still happens quite a bit. In addition to that, the bushes are seemingly indestructible. From what I can tell, it is just like BFBC2, just improved GUI and more well-thought out attachment settings (in BC2, optics costs some other perk, annoying like flies.)
    It had to be done, cancelled the pre-order on the last day possible, played a lot and still feels bad about this game. I really hope something can be done.
    For reference, my pc is fairly fast, i7-2600k, Z68 mobo, 6950 2GB (unlocked to 6970), 8 GB ram + 1TBx2 (raid stripping) and a 750GB secondary.

17. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Personally, I'm completely loving BF3....

Stayed up 'til the early hours last night with my mates on teamspeak, getting unlocks, learning the new maps...absolutely brilliant. My game hasn't crashed once, squad based play works perfectly (Private squads - woohhooooo!).

Love it.

18. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

While there is no in-game teamspeak you can set it up in battlelog that your voice only transmits when it reaches a certain volume level. Works great actually. You can have a bunch of friends on and not hear every swear of breath.

Last edited: 29 Oct 2011
  19. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

I find the battle log browsing/log in system a tad annoying. Click on my exe and it loads origin and Crome. If we have to install origin at least use it for battle-log aswell or not at all. Also wouldn't have to create another friends list.

Game itself is awesome when I can find a stable server to play on.

20. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

That's it - I'm upgrading.

GTX 580, here I come.

Tags: Add Tags