1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards MOTHERBOARD OR PSU DEAD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by danitgeek, 28 Oct 2011.

1. danitgeek

danitgeek Designer

Hey,

Im having a problem with all of the usb ports in my computer both in the i.o and case ports its seems like my mouse flashes for a quick second and the start and them completely turns off i did recently have power cut although the pc was turned off.

I tried take out all the power cables turning my pc off and on taking the case usb cable in and out im not sure what could be the problem ?:wallbash:
    Thanks

Last edited: 28 Oct 2011
  2. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Well, to check, I'd say replace the PSU temporarily. If it still doesn't work, it's probably the mobo.

3. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Got a spare PSU to test with?
    Tried assembling the system outside of the case/ bare bones setup?

Sounds more like a driver issue really, though if you are certain it worked fine up until the powercut & the PSU was still turned on at the back of the computer, it is possible part of the mobo or PSU is fried. Double-check in the bios to make sure the usb ports are enabled & update drivers, otherwise you'd need a spare psu and compatible mobo to test with.

This is why I always use a surge-protector on my PC power cable though- some models are better than others, but something is better than nothing at all...

4. westom

westom What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure what you are saying here. But a USB device suddenly powered off implies a USB current monitor thinks it is seeing a short or defective load. And turns USB power off.

A new PSU does nothing for this type of failure. A surge protector obviously is completely irrelevant here. Blaming a motherboard only on speculation due to a possible USB load failure also makes no sense. One suspect: USB power is turned off by the computer because some USB device is drawing too much power.

More useful information means you must first provide more facts. For example, if the computer is from a better manufacturer, then it comes with comprehensive hardware diagnostics. To see a problem rather than speculating that it exists. What do the system (event) logs also report? What does Device Manager say?

Another useful tool might be a USB LED light. A light that only connects to the USB port power pins and does not connect to signal pins. Does that light illuminate when the computer is first powered? Does it light in a port after the mouse has failed in that port?

5. danitgeek

danitgeek Designer

It seems like it might be a problem with windows 8 if that doesn't work i will have to buy a new psu because sadly i don't have have psu to check

6. westom

westom What's a Dremel?

Why would windows 8 cause a USB port to cut off power? Windows 8 works just fine on all other computers with the same USB port.

Normal is for a defective supply to run a computer. Normal is for a perfectly good supply to fail in an otherwise good computer. Swapping supplies is only done by the many who never learned how power systems work. If a PSU is a suspect, then spend about one-fifth the money for a multimeter. To actually see this problem. With proper instructions and one minute with the meter, then any power systems problems (PSU is only one part of that system) is quickly identified.

Basic electrical knowledge of power systems says the PSU obviously is not causing a USB failure. Defined were facts (diagnostics, Device Manager, etc) that must be provided to obtain a useful answer. Otherwise just keep replacing any parts until the USB ports work.

7. danitgeek

danitgeek Designer

ye sorry i just read this http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-8-USB-2-0-and-3-0-Device-Issues-223667.shtml and thought that might be it but now that i have linux on it its seems like it doesn't work

8. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Normally I would say it's the mobo, the southbridge might be borked as this is normally the bit that sorts out the USBs. What I would check first how ever is all the USB ports, make sure one of the tabs hasn't been pressed down against the edge causing it to short out. Also disconnect every USB device you've got connected and the reboot and try connecting them back up one at a time, it could be that some thing is faulty.

9. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

From experience this sort of issue is very unlikely to be a mobo, most common is a physical case / loom issue, as suggested build the minimum kit needed to boot up out side of the case, and then see.
    And test with minimum USB devices just to check its not a faulty USB device.

10. westom

westom What's a Dremel?

You had no reason to make that assumption. A USB port has four wires. Two provide power (ie to light the mouse LED). Another two are signal wires. Both functions are separate. You defined a mouse LED extinguishing. Signaling (and that "Device Issues") is irrelevant. The other 'USB provides power' function is apparently cutting off power - as was stated previously. That "Device Issues" was discussing the other irrelevant function - data signals.

Provided were simple tests to know what you have long before trying to fix anything. Better trained techs first identify a problem. Fixing comes much later.

We all learn by making these mistakes. Also necessary was to inspect Device Manager and the system (event) logs. More examples of collecting facts before fixing or changing anything.

More of what any informed computer user would know. USB 2 and USB 3 use different wires - and therefore different connectors. Your mouse is USB 2 (or 1). Therefore USB 3 is completely irrelevant. Another reason why that article is irrelevant.

Restart from the beginning. Does that USB port provide power to anything when the computer is powered on? Or does everything cause power to "flash on then off"? Once power is cut off, does anything see power? Or must the computer be rebooted? Do you have any USB type LED lights (as even sold for $1 in many Dollar Stores)? Also a valuable tool to find a failure long before fixing anything because USB devices that consume more than 100 ma are different from devices that consume less than 100 ma. That sentence and task is important because it is defined by numbers.

Please answer questions in this and previous posts. Everyone. Including one about comprehensive hardware diagnostics. Then a next post may say "this is definitively the only problem". No more "maybe X is a problem" or "sounds like Y may be bad" that are best described by the phrase 'wild speculation'. Best solutions are found in recommendations that include or request numbers.

11. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Wow at the above post. So her tried something that you didn't suggest and was going to buy a PSU there's no need to lecture the guy on about it. I'm not saying you not being helpful but you need to tone it down. Just help with suggestions if he take it's all well and good if he doesn't that's fine it's up to him.

Also please don't tell other people on here what they should write, you might know it all but they are people here that have dealt with these things before.

12. danitgeek

danitgeek Designer

i should order a new psu as soon as i can hopefully this week thanks to all