1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Recommended fiction books

Discussion in 'General' started by Boardoombob, 27 Oct 2011.

1. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Exactly what I did! :D

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Fly Fishing, by J R Hartley

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

The Bible by god knows who lol

4. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Red Storm Rising - Tom Clancy
    The Hunt for Red October - Tom Clancy

I'm of the opinion RSR is his best book. Avoid Teeth of the Tiger however, as it's utter pants.

The Sprawl Trilogy - William Gibson:
    *Neuromancer
    *Count Zero
    *Mona Lisa Overdrive

Cyberpunk novels from the 80's, which should be on everyone's reading list.

5. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

My memory failed me here by the way.
    There are, to my knowledge, no sequels to Light of other days. I was thinking about Time's Eye and its sequels; Sunstorm and Firstborn. Those were also written by Stephen Baxter and Arthur C. Clarke.

6. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

Charles Stross' entire bibliography.

Richard K. Morgan - Altered Carbon; Broken Angels; Woken Furies.

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. (Yes, he's a wizard named Harry, but don't let that put you off.)

Simon Green's Secret Histories and Nightside serieses.

Steven Brust's 'Taltos' books (for yet more snark).

Harry Connolly's 'Twenty Palaces' series.

Sandy Mitchell's Ciaphas Caine books (WH40K knowledge not required for enjoyment).

Mira Grant's 'Newsflesh' trilogy.

Seconding Jonathan Maberry (Why haven't I read The King of Plagues yet..).

7. snooky32

snooky32 What's a Dremel?

Dan Brown - Deception Point

8. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Fascinating combination of history and novel from Edward Rutherfurd's

London
    The Forest
    Sarum

If you like the fantasy type novel then:

Raymond E Feist's 'The Riftwar Saga'

Magician
    Silverthorn
    Darkness at Sethanon

9. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

I actually found the "Serpentwar Saga" (Shadow of a Dark Queen, Rise of a Merchant Prince, Rage of a Demon King, Shards of a Broken Crown) to be much more readable.

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card.
    Dune - Frank Herbert.

For some reason no one seems to have heard of Jasper Fforde. His Thursday Next novels are brilliant. Also his Shades of Grey is probably one of the best books I've ever read. It's a shame the next book in the story is so far away.

10. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

+1 for The Dragon Riders of Pern by Anne McAffery. Enough books there for a couple of months :)

Also really worth a look are Trudi Canavans books (Age of five trilogy isn't as good as the rest tho) and The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. Don't get put off by the terrible Eragon film

11. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Funnily enough I found it the other way round. It's almost as if he decided to cash in on the formula and didn't bother too much with the characterisations.

Have to agree about Dune. One of the great classics and the only problem with it was that I couldn't put it down and read it in a single sitting over a long weekend.

12. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Walter Jon Williams - Hardwired. If you enjoy that then go for the Praxis trilogy.

Otherwise look for anything by Neil Gaiman, John Ringo or David Weber as they're always a good read.

13. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

Elton likes this.
  14. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Ok, without doing a ton of multiquotes......(I'm mainly with the sci-fi/fantasy recommendations though)
    Dan Brown - Da Vinci code was good (and ****ing thank you to whoever said 'regardless of 100% truth or 100% fiction. It's a good novel for an easy read, ignore the ******** around it) BUT in my opinion both Deception Point and Digital Fortress were miles better, people just latched on to the religious oo's and aah's.
    Raymond E. Feist - Thoroughly enjoyed both Riftwar and Serpentwar but Serpentwar is a little easier to read.
    Anne McCaffrey - Excellent books, totally brilliant. Not just the Pern novels, her others are great as well. However these should be classes as high-fantasy and are not for everyone. If you're not a fan of fantasy to begin with you may struggle.
    Douglas Adams - What more can be said? The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy is one of,if not the, best sci-fi books every written.
    Philip Pullman - The Northern Lights series won several awards and rightly so. It is written in such a genius way that it is easily accessible to both children and adults, an extremely rare feat in my eyes.
    David Eddings - The Belgariad and Mallorean. I am one of those big fantasy nuts who reads certain series every year (Lord Of The Rings every year since I was 8, I'm now 31) and these are ones I come back to more and more. Beautifully written and so much easier to read than something like Lord Of The Rings or The Wheel Of Time. They also feature what is arguably one of the best fantasy characters ever created, Silk.
    Greg Bear - Only read the one book, Eon, but it was awesome! Lovely twists and turns and a great, vaguely believable(like at least 100 years into the future believable), sci-fi idea to it.
    Stephen Donaldson - The Gap series. This has also been mentioned and is utterly fantastic. Whole magnitudes darker(it really is quite nasty in parts) than what you may be expecting if you've read The Thomas Covenants but well worth it. Angus Thermopyle is a great character.
    David Baddiel - Time For Bed. A little more light hearted and comedic but very well written and with some of those great laugh out loud moments rarely found in books.
    Ben Elton - Stark. I always suggest that everyone read this at some point. Love him or hate him, this book is genius.
    Frank Herbert - Dune Series. A masterpiece, that is all.

Classical/less modern Literature - Maybe give some of these a try sometime, there are brilliant works our there from further back in years and even some books meant for children are worth reading. Some examples:
    John Steinbeck - Of Mice And Men
    J. Meade Faulkner - Moonfleet (Absolutely brilliant!)
    George Orwell - Animal Farm
    Elizabeth Beresford - Knights Of The Cardboard Castle (aimed at a much younger generation but still has a great escapism and rekindles good memories of childhood summer school holidays)

Enough text wall for now lol

P.S. Be warned, if you get too heavy into reading your house may end up going the direction of ours, a library lol We have probably 2,500+ books. Hasn't grown in a while though (charity shops have been closing here :( best book source ever)

Last edited: 31 Oct 2011
  15. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Ah yes, Greg Bear has written a good number of good books, and I'd happily recommend all of them. Eon was excellent, and its sequels (Eternity and Legacy) were equally good.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2011
  16. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Not my thread but I didn't know about sequels to Eon so thanks for that :)

17. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

All of the Hyperion books by Dan Simmons, a great space opera with a 3m chrome bladed time traveling death machine! What's not to like. Right up there with the masters like frank Herbert.

18. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Was gonna say this.
    Love reading this series, such a brilliant mix of Noir detective novels and fantasy.

Also have to say his Codex Alera series is brilliant, though I still say the final battle seemed to end waaaay to quickly, and little about what happened after.

*Also have to add the Paksenarrion series by Elizabeth Moon