1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware The Best Sub-£100 CPU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 31 Oct 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

David likes this.
  2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

what about for say HTPC work, will the likes of the Pentium cope with playing blurrys and other HD video...

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Lol, I read that as "bluhrees" first time round. Thought I'd missed out on some funky new media technology!

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Force of habit... calling Blu-Rays 'Blurrys'

5. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

I really like the way this article was presented, especially the last page.

Like most I assume, I skipped to the 'What to Buy' and read the 4 handy use-cases. Saw the processor that suits the build I'm planning (2D applications only) and then flipped back to the relevant previous pages.

I think a lot of sites fear having such a concise 'TL;DR' thinking people then won't read the article, but honestly, it's the opposite. Very few people are going to read every single word from each page anyway, most (myself included) just want to find the information they need with the least confusion possible.

More like this please. :thumb:

6. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I missed these reviews... :)

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

What he said. :thumb:

8. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

Still probably between the A8-350 and the i3-2100.

One thing the sandybridge graphics wont do correctly is 23.976FPS playback, while the AMD graphics will.

The i3-2100 does tend to have lower power consumption, but the at load figure is slightly misleading for HTPC use, as for HD playback you will find the AMD chip has a lower power draw ( http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-a8-3800_21.html#sect0 )

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Nice roundup.

Can I just make one minor request, in that you stop swapping the Value, Speed & Features score positions around? It's not a big deal, but it is irritating.

Thanks

Spreadie

10. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Amazing how efficient the Intel CPU's are :O

11. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

I wonder if the Bit-Tech crew panicked when they realised they had to reccomend an AMD cpu.. not on form for this site at all!

12. bulletdodger

bulletdodger What's a Dremel?

how come you didnt include the bulldozer fx-4 ? its under a 100 quid.

13. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Any reason for the recommendation of the A8 over pheonem 955 for gaming with a discrete GPU?
    The 955 a faster and cheaper processor mainly due to socket F1 boards being pricey for a budget line.

Also shouldn't motherboard socket price be a factor?

Doing something for the more normal computing needs is great though.

14. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Great article.
    At least it shows that its not really the CPU holding back in gaming nowadays but mostly the GPU ;)

Good work !

15. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Me? The Phenom 955 as there's an upgrade path... and it's over clockable, that's a no brainer isn't it?

16. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

AM3+ boards might be cheaper but we probably wouldn't want to use them for 24/7 overclocking - we'd still prefer a decent 990FX board such as the Sabertooth. The cheaper ones aren't really built for it. Plus the Phenom 955 needed to be heavily overclocked to pip the 3850 to the post. It drew way more power, particularly when idle and needed a far beefier cooler. The MSI Socket FM1 board we used was very substantial and only costs £65 now too.

17. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Excellent article, loved it - thanks!

What I reckon may also be a good idea for an article, if you can stand suggestions, would be something along the lines of a Top Gear style challenge: All you guys have a fixed budget of say £400, (or whatever) and have to get a MoBo, CPU & HSF, GPU & Memory, (with the Case, PSU, HDD etc standard).

You can all get whatever gear you like within the confines of the budget and see who can build the best rig possible for a set range of challenges.

I don't know if that'd be possible, but I think it would make a pretty fantastic read - and would offer the chance for serious bragging rights...

18. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

AM3+ boards might be cheaper but we probably wouldn't want to use them for 24/7 overclocking - we'd still prefer a decent 990FX board such as the Sabertooth. The cheaper ones aren't really built for it. [/QUOTE]

...wut? The 990FX is an AM3+ board...I get what you meant, but the wording was a little off. That aside, isn't that the case generally, no matter the platform? I'd like to think we all know better than to think we'll get good, lasting results out of OCing a Biostar board, disregarding what socket it's on. I know it happens, but I wouldn't count on it from a cheapie board.

I have to agree with John_T - total platform cost should definitely weigh in here. Even take it the other way - build (and justify) the best PC for the lowest price on a given platform. If you built an FM1 but used 1600 MHz RAM, give me the numbers that the bump in FPS wasn't worth the higher price. Or that you can squeeze more out of a Phenom II, but you may not want to skyrocket the power consumption. Naturally, it's not perfect - prices fluctuate almost every day, and a particular part won't necessarily overclock the same as another of the same model, but the CPU price alone is one of 3 major components that will make the biggest difference in price. Of course, there are many more mobos than there are processors for a given socket, same with RAM, but give us a range here. Lay out at least an estimate of how much it will cost to build a decent system on a given platform. Processor alone doesn't give a complete-enough picture, imo.

19. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

Hopefully it wasnt a different site that tried that, but I seem to recall reading a similar article to that at one point. They all had a budget, 1 guy tried to buy second hand, one guy tried to just buy a prebuilt, another tried to build his own.

20. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Wasn't it custom PC?

Tags: Add Tags