1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The Scariest Games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 31 Oct 2011.

1. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Interesting article for me, since I hate scary games and movies. Most of my friends know I am easily horrified, so they always dare me to play something scary.

I remember the first time I played FEAR. I was so scared that I even shot at my own shadows.

Left 4 Dead? Meh not scary at all except when you hear that witch crying.

Oblivion was scary sometimes. Especially in those Aylied ruins..

Far Cry also freaked me out, in those labs with the mutant monkeys... hrrr

I have never played Amnesia before, but one of my friends (who could complete FEAR 1 and 2) is horrified by it, so I assume I will crap a hole in the chair when I play it.

I was forced to play FEAR 2 once. I remember some screaming (me) and some swearing (me) when the game started. Close to the beginning you come across a creepy swimming pool indoors. That creepy chick (Alma) appears now and then, and left my heard beating faster than dubstep music.

I just can't handle scary games, but all this made me want to try out Amnesia...

2. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I bought the Dead Space pack. Look forward to being scared/thrilled at the same time :).

3. Sensei

Sensei What's a Dremel?

Stalker for sure. The atmosphere throughout the game is eerie and the underground bunkers are just mental. Fear the firsttime around was another one. Great games. Going to try Amnesia: The Dark Descent as it keeps being mentioned

4. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

Ahhhh Amnesia, just bought it this weekend on the steam sale (it's a bargin price). Never have I found such a great scary atmospheric game. I can play it, usually in doses of about 45mins to 1hour.. then I have to rest as the game is superb at making you think there are things there in the darkness. I'll walk into a room and catch just a glimpse of something walking out, did it see me?, do I need to run and hide?. hell I do it anyway just to be sure.

What I like is telling my friends to go buy it, they are like "I've heard it's scary, I guess things jump out at you" and I'm like "errm, no not really that's a cheap scare this is far more physiological than that".

5. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Fixed that for you :).

6. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

thanks :D.. I thought the spelling was dodgy never mind I knew someone would help me out :D

7. ResonanceCascade

ResonanceCascade What's a Dremel?

Thief: The Dark Age, eh? The one with the prison break-in on the second level is Thief: The Dark Project. And I agree, it's pants poopingly scary.

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Eternal Darkness: Sanities Requiem on the Nintendo Game Cube, still my favourite scary game. Not down to the graphics but the feeling the game had. When the volume turns off suddenly as if someone is sitting on the remote or a CG fly buzzes over the screen, or the sceen flips when you enter a room or you get a bsod or an xbox reboot screen (on a gamecube game don't forget) it's lots of small things but they all build to really creep you out.

9. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

Silent Hill (The first one) was the first genuinely scary game for me, followed by Resident Evil – and to a lesser extent, Tomb Raider.

Amnesia is definitely a very good (read-scary) game – especially if played on a 50” TV with surround sound…

10. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Stalker had some really scary moments in the Labs with the telekinetic mutants and things like that. They were easy to kill, but the buildup was great.

Haven't played Amnesia yet, as scary games (or rather; games whose prime design directive is to be scary) just don't excite me much. They can scare the hell out of me, for sure; but that gets tiresome, I find.

Shalebridge Cradle in TDS was just terrifying. It left the most awesome mental scars on me. I loved TDS despite the moves it made away from the previous Thief games in some respects; but I still find myself wussing out of the game every time I get far enough in the story such that the cutscenes start talking about the Hag and the Cradle.
    It doesn't matter that I know there are barely any enemies in there and that they can be quite easily taken care of with flash bombs - The whole atmosphere of the level is just terrifying.

11. Dannythemusicman

Dannythemusicman What's a Dremel?

Wow guys nice article :)

+1 for mentioning The Cradle... I will never forget entering that level for the 1st time with the lights out.. never again..

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

The Haunted Mansion level of Vampire Bloodlines always creeps me out despite the fact that there is virtually no threat. I just need to keep telling my self I'm the big scary thing not the ghost....

13. jestyr8

jestyr8 What's a Dremel?

To me one of the scariest games... at least the only ones that made me have to take a break.. was FEAR because of the uncertainty of when alma might appear. But the one that truly got me was System Shock 2. The total ambiance and the music and the sounds of the ship and the mutants roaming around wanting my flesh. I played it the the sound turned up the lights off and I found myself actually physically moving to try and see around corners as my character approached a corner or cross corridor. Then factor in low amounts of ammo a broken weapon maybe...grrrrrrrrr..... Open a door and theres a mutant S#!T now i have to go change my pants!!!

14. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Project Zero (Fatal Frame for our American friends) was another that I really wish I hadn't traded in all those years ago. A camera is all that stands between you and a load of ghosts, very spooky atmosphere in that one.

15. woods

woods What's a Dremel?

Dead Space 2 is the only game that has made me jump

16. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

AvP was pretty dam scary int eh dark with the beep beep beep

17. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

FEAR didn't really scare me. I understand the feeling that you can't defeat her, but after the 1st time you see her you know she won't kill you, you know it's just a display, or a cut-scene of sorts. Amnesia on the other hand was terrifying &, to a lesser extent, Criminal Origins too, which I actually played on your recommendation Joe.
    Dead Space was jumpy, but once you were half way through the game with a tough suit & an arsenal of weapons it traded it's horror in for action.

Clive Barker's Undying is one I'd throw into the mix. Lots of incredibly spooky bits. Probably the game that's scared me most. More even than Amnesia (though I was younger). Don't judge it on Jericho though, which was a bit crap.

18. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I really don't like scary games. I've tried Doom 3 a few times and can only manage about ten minutes of it. I know, what a wuss. Give me Rollercoaster Tycoon any day.

19. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

Games have never bothered me. Real life does. Especially for me, hospitals. Veteran's Hospitals in paticular. The ones I have to use are filled with incompetent doctors and uncaring, seemingly evil nurses that actually don't give a damn whether you live or die.
    I'm on 100% service-connected disability. My entire income for one year would buy about one visit to a civilian doctor. That's what not being in control of your life is like.
    I used to think that the veterans who would go and kill their doctors at Veterans Hospitals were psychopaths. Now, I realize they are heroes. Protecting themselves and our fellow comrades in arms from real incompetents and truly evil people.

20. Doglobster

Doglobster What's a Dremel?

The first Resident Evil had some jump inducing moments.

Tags: Add Tags