1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The Scariest Games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 31 Oct 2011.

1. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Silent Hill (PS1) was scary for me. Mainly because they severely limited your vision... the place was dripping with evil; you know the nasties are in the same building because you can hear them, but you can do sweet FA about it because you only have a modest, highly directional light source (torch). As with scary films, it is what you can't see that scares you most.

2. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Original AvP if you played as the marine. I made the mistake of playing it in the dark while wearing headphones. It didn't help that I lived on my own at the time.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

When it came out, Half Life. No question about it. I was like 8 at the time and I damn near crapped myself every time I played it

4. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

Galarians on playstation. The creepy guys who wore bandages over their heads and trench coats(sorta like that guy from the watchmen) would chase me all over the place and they always came back!

also plus 1 for the first AVP fps game on PC. Playing as the marine was truly horrific. I wish I could say the same for the newest AVP game but sadly it's a pile of poop scares.

5. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

That part in the department store, where you were surrounded by mannequins and every time you turned around they moved closer. That was a classic gaming moment.

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Realms of the Haunting, without a shadow of a doubt.

It got everything right you need for a very scary game: dark oppresive atmosphere, uncertaintiy about where you're going and what you're going to face, and limited ability of the player (in this case, clunky controls and limited ammo).

Never mind the graphics are so bad it'd make your eyes bleed, the second enemy you face still gives me nightmares. Some sort of steam-demon you can hear before you see it, and armed only with a rusty sword is not an attractive proposition!

Personally I don't play too many scary games, I'm simply too much of a wuss. Love scary films, but the self-surival instinct kicks in for games and I find myself just avoiding the scary situation (i.e. Alt-F4). Kind of defeats the point a bit I guess!

7. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

FEAR was the first and only game that I crapped my pants in. I foolishly played that with my headset on in the dark.

Lesson learnt quickly after waking the wife up with my swearing/screaming/dropping the mouse.

Nothing scared me quite as much as the wife in a bad mood.

8. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Call of Pripyat has some equally creepy bits, that old school for one - and just being chased at night by Snorks and the invisible things in general :D

9. trig

trig god's little mistake

Resident evil and fear...used to go into the bedroom at night, the wife would lie on the bed beside me...scare the hell out of her...so creepy...god i miss those days...

10. trig

trig god's little mistake

true...nothing is scarier than your wife...o.0 j/p

11. fodder

fodder Minimodder

Half life 2, the ravensholm level. *shudder*

12. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I vote for FEAR as the scariest game I've played, but for perhaps unusual reasons. I wasn't especially frightened of the combat or even of Alma, but I found the story quite chilling...

I was really disturbed as it emerged that Alma was researcher Harlan Wade's young daughter, that he kept her locked up because she exhibited strange psychic powers, that he experimented on her and eventually impregnated her to see what kind of enhanced offspring she could produce, and in the process killed her. That sort of human wickedness was far more disturbing and chilling to me than any number of jump-scares or ugly monsters.

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

System Shock 2

14. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Diablo 2 - Lord of Destruction.

It literally turned me into a zombie by nightfall. I suffered from this affliction for several years.

15. capmoq

capmoq What's a Dremel?

I remember when Doom 3 came out. Imho scariest game at that time.

16. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Amnesia
    AvP
    Doom 3
    Half-Life 2 (Ravenholm level)
    Thief II (occasionally)

I didn't find that game that scary really

17. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Yep - the Ocean House Hotel - as you say, there is virtually no threat...but flickering lights, whispers, and plenty of "did I just see that ghost?" moments are still enough to bring shivers down my spine every time I play through it. Fantastic level design :)

18. Tongue-of-Fire

Tongue-of-Fire What's a Dremel?

I've played Dead Space but didn't really appreciate the scariness of it. Most of the scares were cheap tricks where a Necromorph would just jump out at you to surprise you. I'm with Yahtzee on the rest of the game though - it was just them ambling slowly towards you from the opposite side of a brightly lit room. I've bought Amnesia: The Dark Descent in the Steam Halloween sale (£2.60 - Bargain!) so there will be some real scares in that based on what people have said. I'm not playing it in the dead of night though! :hehe:

19. Voluntary_Pariah

Voluntary_Pariah a Real Man™

I tried to do a "Lets Play" of Amnesia but after about 5 minutes it had turned into me swearing under my breath as I jumped at every little creak and bump, both in the game and out of it. I'll never play that game with surround sound headphones again!

Doesn't help than I live very close to a Hell's Angels lodge and they keep randomly reving their bikes. I nearly wet myself every time.

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Was going to mention that.;)

Tags: Add Tags