1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Mass Effect 3 Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 2 Nov 2011.

1. Apoptosis

Apoptosis What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the preview, this is probably the game I've anticipated the most, ever. Oh, and it's "ard" not "herd".

2. Res

Res What's a Dremel?

You mean it's worse then ME1 was? I've just finished it and I loved the game but the amount of times I had to restart from a last save due to getting stuck on a box / in a lift / in some geometry was disturbing. This stuff must have been picked up on in testing (I have no idea if this is just a problem with the PC port or also present in the 360 version)

I will start paying ME2 soon and I was kinda hoping it would be a less buggy experience not more.

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I just want ME 3 to be more or less like ME and ME2. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

As long as the old team is still a part of the story I'm happy.

4. Teh Noob Slayer

Teh Noob Slayer What's a Dremel?

As it wasn't mentioned, does it mean this time around Shepard manages to keep control of the 'little soldier' and keep it in his pants?

5. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

It will be great. One of the few games I am looking forward to.

6. alf-

alf- Minimodder

i'm the type of person who never pre-orders game as i always need to see reviews etc, before i fork out any money,
    but i can honestly say i am 100% getting mass effect 3,
    i think this highlights the attachment mass effect emphasizes between the player and the characters, rarely do i care so much about in-game characters, usually its more a case of "who cares" its just a game, but with mass effect 3 even if the game does get **** reviews i will still buy it purely because i want to know what happened to my characters.

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I was quite disappointed with ME2, from a tactical point of view. They nailed the shooting aspects very well, and it was very slick and engaging when in a gun fight. But I felt the new system of armour, shields and barriers was so very very boring. It basically devolved any and all interesting fights in to a series of abilities that you had no choice over, e.g. take down the shield with x, then take out the barrier with y, then kill the enemy.

It made the abilities very boring to use, and I basically went through it mostly just shooting the things I could, and using those abilities when needed. Despite ME1 being a lot rougher around the edges, I had much more fun with the biotics etc. I also don't see why people with shields couldn't be biotic pushed etc (IIRC).

I take it from the fact that very little has changed, that this is still the system in place for combat? This would disappoint me. I would love a truer blend of ME1 and ME2 in the combat regard.

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Im ok with that. I'd rather they left it than try something new and totally f*** it up. I liked the combat style of ME2 myself.

I've just started playing ME1 again - and seemingly dying a lot as a biotic. However other than the lack of regenerating health, and from what i remember, 2 had a better way of positioning your team, they were fairly similar I thought, combat wise.

As for the weapons, it didn;t really bother me either way with regards to loads of weapons, or only a select few.

For someone who's forgotten, could you explain what was different in 1? I thought they had shields and armour too? :S

9. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Hackneyed emotional appeals and sentimentality? Yeah, that's great writing right there. I wonder which alien you get to have sex with this time.

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Well, armour was more your traditional armour that blocked a percentage of damage etc. IIRC, in ME2 they took this out and armour was treated like a separate shield, like the first game's shield. In ME2 each type of protection (so armour, shields and barrier) all had abilities that were best at bringing those protections down. Everything else was largely useless at that particular protection.

IIRC you had to whittle down each type of protection before you could even use things like throw and what not. So basically by that point they were left with only a full health bar, which took very little fire to kill them anyway, so anymore biotic powers were wasted. I think certain types of protection blocked certain types of biotics. I found playing ME2 to be largely forgettable, and only really the story stands out in my memory.

Of course, some enemies only came at you with shields, meaning you could throw out some pushes and pulls from the get go. But this system, to me, made the combat with anything more advanced (and thus, the most interesting fights) a case of using the correct power to bring down the current top protection, and then use the next one, and so on until I could just shoot them in the face. It got really boring, really quick, and the only reason I didn't stop playing the game was because they truly did improve the actual shooting mechanics, and I needed to know how the story developed.

I actually had more fun with the stat-heavy ME1, despite the clunky combat. If it was just a mix of 1 and 2, I would be jumping for joy. But I think it is likely that they will use a similar system of protections with specific weaknesses.

11. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Heh... Wonder what Bro Team would make of it...

12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

not just that too.. in me1 you could buy armor pieces separately for each member.. it was fun hunting down the best pieces for each member- me2 everyones armor is the same

I know why they did it.. then they can pump out sequels without making the same armor for each body type.. it's less work

13. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I wonder if it will be on steam and other digital stores and not just EA's Origin? Wikipedia says the digital deluxe edition is for origin only but makes no mention of standard versions from other services.

14. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I wish they would go back to the heat based weapon limit. Thermal clips was a bit annoying to be honest. First of all because one had to look for them all the time, and because the ammo were evenly distributed between all weapons even though some of the were unused. (Surely they must have some sort of cooling system that works without thermal clips. They managed to built an FTL drive FFS! )

15. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Yep. Though I don't think it was so they could get sequels out quicker, but more so the games would appeal to more people. Dumbing down, if you will.

And before anyone calls me elitest or whatnot for hating ME2, I really didn't. I thought many, many things were improved on, I just think it lost a lot of depth.

16. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

I remember having the armor/shield/barrier problem and the first thing I did was get warp ammo for the party. I prefer what happenned with the guns. That simplified everything. I didn't like what they did with the ammo thing. Or at least the explanation (still think it was faster to let it cool than reload).

Am I the only one who hated all the minigames in ME1 and ME2? Looking for minerals in both was appalling. Had to do it but hated every minute of it. For one of the most sophisticated AIs in the world 'apparently', the fact that it couldn't scan planets for minerals was like... 'huh?'

I like what they have done in creating the world. I can only hope they re-use the world, because I find it fascinating. All the alien races and their specific traits etc..

17. eternum

eternum *blam* shotgun fanhole

The thermal clip change in ME2 really brought the game down for me. Weapons that only needed a moment to cool down before now cannot be fired at all without these thermal clips, and it was described as a technological advancement. Huh? Balls, I say. I used a cheat for that one, as much for the frequent lack of clips I found myself with in early levels, as for the horrible attempt at explaining the change.

That being said, both games in the trilogy so far have been immensely enjoyable on the whole and I heartily look forward to the third.

18. JaccoW

JaccoW Overspender on keyboards

It sounds like these were the same old demos that have been available for a few months. Too much combat based to appeal to the most important part of ME, the story and it's characters.
    Then again, they said they didn't want to show too much of the story and it can change a lot depending on imported saves.

Right now it seems like they have made a hybrid ME1 and ME2 inventory and weapon system (many different weapons and upgrades). Which is good.
    I think, storywise, we are going to be fine. It's just that conversations are 'boring' to watch, so Bioware hardly shows those. Just wait and see the story as it unvelops.

19. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Is ME3 origin infested?

20. JaccoW

JaccoW Overspender on keyboards

From the looks of it, yes. (screen with the options)

Tags: Add Tags