1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory RAM Upgrade or change ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by l1m1tl3ss, 3 Nov 2011.

1. l1m1tl3ss

l1m1tl3ss What's a Dremel?

So here is the thing guys I have been trying to over clock my ram now for a little while and not had any luck. I contacted Corsair ( Manufacturer ) and explained the situation and they said it maybe because I am using two 8gb kits (2x4gb modules) so a total of 16gb Corsair vengeance 1600mhz (Blue)

It was suggested to actually Buy a 16gb kit(still the same amount of modules) But this time they will all be matched. Still of the same speed 1600mhz.

But looking around I see that the 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz kits are quite a reasonable price.

SO I guess what im asking is for some advice/opinions on what to get ?

16gb 1600mhz (2kits) Currently own.
    16gb 1600mhz (1 kit)
    8gb 1866mhz (1 kit)
    16gb 1866mhz (2kits)

I know 16gb is overkill but Its ok I like to have plenty and NO i have never used close to 16gb of ram doing what I do.

Many Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry if this is in the wrong section.

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Why are you trying to overclock your RAM?

Bear in mind that even as high as 1600MHz there isn't really a perceptible difference in system performance... the most noticeable memory related performance improvement comes from increasing the quantity.

If you can get higher rated memory, whether 1866MHz, 2000MHz etc, just remember that it puts more strain on the memory controller (especially with such a big quantity) and you may even have trouble trying to run it at its rated speed. :thumb:

3. l1m1tl3ss

l1m1tl3ss What's a Dremel?

TBH Im not really sure why. Its just one of those things im now getting into. I have been a computer user for a few years now and started to want to do more with my machine in the bang-for-buck department.

It started with my old Q6600 chip that I managed to do a small OC and recently upgraded my system to be based around a i5 2500k that I have stable OC to 4.2 ( Have a new cooler so will try higher soon)

SO its not really something like I NEED but more over something I am trying. but I will heed your advice on the RAM front.