1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice wanted help building a £400 game PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zimboy69, 29 Oct 2011.

1. zimboy69

zimboy69 What's a Dremel?

Budget:

ive a budget of £400

i have a monitor mouse and keyboard but ive not bought any components for years so im looking for any advice or builds which would help

Parts required:
    so i need a combo of the following to form a base unit

operating system
    motherboard
    case
    hardrive
    ram
    grapics card
    cd rom drive
    cpu

plus anything else ive forgotten

Main uses of intended build:
    its going to be a pc for my son for xmas

atm he plays minecraft on a old laptop but probably will want to play diablo 3 and gw2 when they come out

he understands that playing on low setting is going to be norm so im not looking to max games out just the ability to play with a reasonable frame rate

Will you be overclocking: no

Previous build information (list details of parts): none

Monitor resolution:unkown but i have a old one from a pc and will probably get a new one for his birthday later

Storage requirements:dosent matter but a 100 gigs +

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):2 fron usbs to move files around other than that nothing

Extra information about desired system:need it before xmas

i dont even mind buying a ready built system to save me hassle if anyone knows a good place

Last edited: 29 Oct 2011
  2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I put this together for a guy in another thread. However, it would take you over budget as that does not include a hard drive or an operating system. So your best bet with that budget would be go second hand for some bits.

You might be able to get away with an x3 450 or an x2 250 and a GTS450 graphics card depending on his resolution, this would probably allow you to get it all in budget.

3. zimboy69

thx for the reply ill check it out later

is there any similar builds for a intel cpu or are they too much

4. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Put your thread into the for sale section and see what people can come up with. You'd be amazed what you can get second hand on this forum.

5. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

Decent build mate. There was a guy on here called Kosh in the market place, selling an elite 430, brand new for £25, if he still has it and could get in touch with him, just a bit better case.

6. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

You really need to be looking second hand for that kind of money.
    The Bit-Tech marketplace is great for picking up old bits very cheapily but you need 75 posts to access.

Also hard drives currently cost £70-80 new due to "flooding in Thailand" rather than £30-40 so that a massive chunk of your budget right there unless you look second hand.

Last edited: 29 Oct 2011
  7. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

I just got a 1Tb drive from amazons warehouse deals (used but like new returns) for £50 not the price it would've been a month ago but great now.

8. zimboy69

good news i managed to get a 2nd hand harddrive of 200 gb for nothing from a old dell pc which didnt have very much use so im thinking of using that

9. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

That 200Gb will fill up pretty quickly, so keep an eye out for another one I'd say but it's a start :)

10. zimboy69

im thinking in 3-6 months after the flood there will be a big push to sell hard drives and the price will fall a lot so maybe next easter time they might be lower than b4

also its a lot of money for me to go beyond the £400 backet

do you know if you can do a fresh install with a student version of windows 7

11. zimboy69

12. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Its an identical CPU with a slight speed bump of 3.2>3.4ghz. I'd just get it now and start building rather than waiting for the sake of £8

13. zimboy69

thats exactly what im thinking as i just have about 6-7 weeks if anything went wrong i need time to send anything back get it rma and returned

dont and cant leave it to chance and for the cost of £8 its not worth it so if its not in on monday ill order the other one if the original one isnt in

14. krishan

krishan Minimodder

look at scan's today only offer, a few of those list items are on. you have until sunday to get them at this price. Get your post count to 20 and it's free delivery.

The gtx 460 is 11 cheaper (using today only) than the saved basket price.

Since you have a few weeks, get everything on today only when it comes on.

15. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Just phone scan up and you can probably get free delivery by asking nicely.
    Otherwise yes getting 20 posts allows you free delivery so is worthwhile.

16. moody89

moody89 Minimodder

Just incase you haven't settled on your choice of CPU yet, the following article from here on Bit Tech may be worth you having a nose at:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/10/31/the-best-100-processor/18

The Pentium G620 seems to make a pretty effective budget chip and you have the option of upgrading to an i5 etc. in the future if needs be. You should be able to squeeze a decent system together with this budget but don't skimp on the important things such as PSU etc. as these will last several builds/upgrades. Best of luck!

17. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Okay, this might fit the bill for very casual gaming:

[​IMG]

The CPU is actually an APU, meaning it has a GPU built into it. The gpu in question is equivalent to a 6550. The cpu side is actually a fairly capable quad core.

The case i selected is a good one for the price and comes highly recommended by bit-tech and CustomPC.

The RAM I picked is the fastest I could find for reasonable price. Normally 1600mhz is sufficient, but as the gpu will be sharing the RAM, faster stuff actually improves GPU performance.

Cooler offers an excellent price/performance ratio.

PSU is a solid one and exceptional value for money.

Mobo is a little lavish, but will allow you to overclock should you decide to do so in the future.

Just add your hdd, win7 (student) and a generic dvd drive and it should come in under the £400 mark. Just.

Oh and it really is worth getting your posts up to 20 to get free shipping from scan as delivery on cases is in the order of £13.

18. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

The first build including a 460 would probably offer you triple the gaming power for little extra cost so I'd just stick with that.

19. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

You are, of course, right. A 460 will demolish my build all day, everyday. But if the budget isn't flexible....

20. zimboy69

the budget isnt flexible on choice more than cose if its a difference between

3 times the power and £20 ill spend the £20 cause i know in the long run it will be worth it

but its easier for me to keep it closer to £400 than £500