1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics EVGA GTX 460 underclocks itself during gameplay

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Janek566, 4 Nov 2011.

1. Janek566

Janek566 What's a Dremel?

Hello

I built a rig with GTX460. I use EVGA precision software to overclock. I change the core frequency to 900MHz. Yet the core underclocks itself to sometimes 51 sometimes 405 but never 900 LIKE I SPECIFICALLY TYPE IN! What can i do to prevent underclocking. It was running fine now i get bloody 27 fps on League of legends. This is a joke...

Thanks for any help
    Janek566

2. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

900mhz on the core is pretty high for a 460, have you tested it properly as stable?

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

It's probably underclocking to save itself from burning out.

4. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

Could be a faulty card, try it on another PC

5. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

I second the opinion that it is probably trying to underclock itself to avoid burning out and dying...

6. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

My 560Ti "OC " edition is clocked at 890 with a dual fan cooler so yeah...I think you have pushed it a bit too much on the clock..

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Here they only manage to push a GTX460 to a core of 858 for the 768MB version and only 840 for the 1GB version...

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

These are 2D clock speeds, which is perfectly normal - at desktop my GPU alternates between 51 and 405.

How do you check the clocks "during gameplay" as the title specifies? If you Alt+Tab to desktop, you are no longer in-game and the 2D clocks will probably kick in again... ;)

And for the record it has nothing to do with OC stability... my 460 can do 900MHz+ core easily. :thumb:

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

If you have something like afterburner open in the background it records it. I sometimes keep afterburner running on a second monitor - then you can see it.

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I had to reflash and increase the voltage cap to get 906 stable.. think the top stock voltage was like 1.087v

I had to do closer to 1.2v.. can't remember the exact number off the top of my head.. but if your on air- there's a lot of prep to do 900+

I could run up to 940 but it wasn't stable.. 906 was stable on air, 100% on the fan- played all the way through mafia 2 like that.. that was after a re-tim and a lot of facking around to get the right voltage vs temps

850 seems to be the top for stock volts 1.027v I believe it was.. could try 1.032v too if you wanted to go a bit higher.. starts to skyrocket from there though

gl! =]

11. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

EVGA GTX 460 never had that myself when i had my card must be faulty...

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Ultimately the OC depends on the card itself, since some are good overclockers and others aren't - my card will do 900MHz core very easily with 1087mV, at which speed it beat my 470 (stock) in 3DMark. :D

13. thehippoz

yeah I agree somewhat lenny.. it's really temp related- the card I had was a zotac with the display port added on.. the vent was very small compared to reference

could do 900 with 1.096v believe it was.. come to think 906 was perfectly stable at 1.132v (don't quote me on that was last year when the 460 released xD)

closer to 1.1 than 1.2.. but guys like mr. bens was putting it on water- could get the full 940 out the card..

it's doable but to the average guy.. who just slaps it in stock without taking temps into account- asking a bit much

and then there's drivers too.. sure nvidia has put in safes into drivers nowdays to keep them choked.. ever since went to ati 6970 couldn't be happier.. the card just displays what it displays- there's never any artifacts even pushed.. can't say that for nvidia- I've owned just about all thier cards since the 8800gtx

14. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

1.2V wow. I wouldn't be happy putting that through mine unless it was under a waterblock.

Like Lenny mine will do 910 easy on 1.87V, and flakes out at around 920. The fan is left at the stock speed ramp and hits around 70% with 68C during benches. I wish there was a water kit for the Cyclone as I'm pretty sure it could go much higher, but alas...non reference PCB.

15. thehippoz

yeah that was the new limits put into the custom bios.. 1.2v

stock could only do 1.087v

but here's what I had to work with for airflow xD and that was exhausted out the back of the case

[​IMG]

could keep it under 73C with ducting on the inside.. 74C seemed to be the tipping point

from all the oc's done on nvidia video cards.. I learned there isn't much difference between binned and non binned.. it's really about taking them apart and re-tim then keeping the temps in check.. non-reference coolers help a lot too- or water if you want to get the top

I've even hard modded variable resistors in the 8800gtx and used a hr-03 plus.. only card ever blew up was with a pencil mod.. still don't like water cooling- just too expensive for as many times as you have to upgrade- different block $$

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I've found that whilst after market coolers can be good, putting a powerful fan on a reference cooler equates to roughly the same (if not better) performance.

I had this fan on my 470 with the stock cooler - > 220CFM, and about 5000 RPM. When the air was cool, max load temp was 60C :D :D :D

[​IMG]

17. snooky32

snooky32 What's a Dremel?

My 460 cyclone is @900mhz on 1.062V, but when trying lower voltages I have experienced the core just slowing down to 400mhz during gameplay and benchmarks and refusing to change until i restart.