1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Custom all-metal (milled?) water bottle

Discussion in 'General' started by Sterkenburg, 6 Nov 2011.

1. Sterkenburg

Sterkenburg To mod or not to mod...

I've been looking for a water bottle that isn't terrible for quite some time. Your standard cheapo stainless steel water bottle is decent, and no doubt does the job, but it doesn't have any flair to it. Some outdoors-type companies offer half decent water bottles with metal lids as an option, but I was thinking I want one milled.

I understand that a watertight seal is probably not the easiest thing in the world when using metal threads, but I figured who would know how to deal with that better than this forum! I also realize that with those metal threads I might need to find a way to keep it closed, perhaps magnets or a catch or something.

I think a non-cylindrical bottle would really stand out. Octagonal maybe. Any thoughts? Is this even realistic?

Sterkenburg

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Last edited: 6 Nov 2011
  3. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

They're not what you're looking for, I know, but I've heard good things about Klean Kanteens.

This is closer, though.

As for having one made, I don't see why why you couldn't, though they're usually formed (extruded) rather than milled.

Magnets might be a problem, seeing as they're normally made from non-magnetic steel...

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Milling a hollow object is a rather wasteful endeavor. Your starting stock will need to be milled down, then the interior removed; so your looking at close to 85% waste if not higher. Given that metals are at an all time high price wise, it quickly make more sense to buy an extruded one. Especially if you aren't experienced at machining metal. As for closing it, simply threading the neck and a plug should work well with an O ring as a seal. But again, machining the threads....takes some skill.

I'm all for doing things yourself, but this seems a tad excessive.

5. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

As pointed out above maching a water bottle from one block would be a huge waste of materials, If it was done you'd be in the 70-80 quid range just for a water bottle. As for the threading, that could easly be done on a lathe. If you know some one with a lathe/mill they could easly do it at your cost but i doubt a company would even touch this project at anything but silly money.

6. Sterkenburg

The Laken bottles look pretty good, I discovered Klean Kanteen when I was researching. They are one of the few companies who actually have metal lids available.

I also understand that it would be a huge waste to hollow out a block of metal... but it would be pretty cool! But as a 'starving student' I definitely don't have too much money to throw at it. Starting to look like I'll be sticking a couple caps on a piece of 2" pipe! Of course then someone might think it was a pipe bomb :blah:

7. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

if you are willing to lean to MIG weld, there is the possibility of welding on the end cap, turning it smooth, then welding on the neck and doing the same. A lot less waste, considering you are using a pipe, machined neck and a flat. But there is a 90% chance you will be using aluminum and that is tricky. Stainless even more so.

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

you can cut the threads manually on a lathe to any size.. you need the major and minor diameter and pitch.. you can make any size threads you need

here's one I did on aluminum.. not really hard just have to know how :) I have a mill at home but no lathe.. I should just get one of those cheap chinese ones from harbor freight (well someday when were not so broke- bills bills)..
    [​IMG]

really what your asking for isn't too hard to make, but like johnny says it's time and materials.. steel too =o

*edit you might want to look around and see if anyone makes something similar to your dream first.. or just go down to your local college and walk into machine and tool- I'm sure a student there could make you a bottle for a little cash..

it won't be the kind of quality I could make lol some of those guys couldn't even use a micrometer I remember.. but you might get lucky and run into that one guy who doesn't use college as a gay bar

Last edited: 8 Nov 2011
  9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I use a TIV flask almost every day. The one that I have is from Lifeventure. I usually have coffee in it until lunchtime, then after that it's full of water or fruit juice.

What you're asking about regarding the metal threads and a watertight seal is not hard. You just use a couple of o-rings with a sealing fit on the lid. Like the others have said, it's not difficult, just time consuming and will require a bit of know-how and obviously the equipment to machine it.

10. Sterkenburg

From what you're telling me (thanks!) it looks like this isn't a technically difficult idea, which is what I had assumed. Now I'm assuming that at this point, it's probably easiest to ask around to places that do custom milling, just for curiosity's sake. College is a good idea for sure. Does anyone here know what a block of steel water-bottle sized would cost?

I've heard about the various concerns in regards to welding aluminum, but if I'm not mistaken there are also concerns with welding stainless, so I'm guessing that puts them on par.

Thanks!