1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Blue Horizon - "MOTY" Nominee

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by riekmaharg2, 8 Jul 2010.

1. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Yeah :) the paint is just for anti corrosion on the inside of the pump

2. riekmaharg2

Sorry about the delay in updates, the CNC is ready to go and the power is back on but its not stable enough and the machine starts moving itself, from the looks of the road works outside they appear to have just stuck the broken two halves of cable together and wrapped some plastic around it to restore power lol, thats the service you get for paying for business electric!

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks for showing how you use the mill bits on a router mate :).

4. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Everything in this mod is custom so... me likey!!! ;) And delays? You have to be kidding me right? I delayed almost 3 months in my Synthetica project!! :p Mod on man!

5. riekmaharg2

Its ok :), the parts are available on ebay btw

Lol, yeah its more of an annoyance for me as I've got loads of spare time this week and its being wasted by dodgy power :(

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Ugh I know what it's like chomping at the bit but not being able to do any :lol::duh: time goes real slow, feels like months instead of days :D.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Speaking of which, I need some aluminium bits milling/CNC'ing for a pump/reservoir combo. You wouldn't happen to take (paid) commissions, would you? :D

8. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Thats not that bad compared to what we have in Johannesburg :worried: the power company (Eskom) decides we don't really need power an flicks the switches to whole suburbs :lol: and taping stuff together is their specialty....

As long as its gonna run again :thumb:

9. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Yeah those blackouts. We (Melkbosstrand) are like 2km form Koeberg so we get priority :D
    Still get them though. BTW it's not that they don't think we need power, it's cuz there's not always enough power. Like when one of the turbines fail (happened recently)

10. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I didn't even know they had a failed turbine :worried:
    And they also like selling our power to neighboring countries....priorities :eyebrow:

11. riekmaharg2

Yeah lol, it already feels like weeks.

Yeah so long as the job isn't to big and you make a 3D or 2D dxf or sketchup file of your design for me, also I currently only have a 1.5mm and 5mm end mill, no larger or ball end mills for the CNC yet.

Lol, that would be a real pain in the ass, specially if your mid cut and the power goes off and you loose the z,x,y zero position.

Dam that sucks, you should get a massive UPS with a generator for your power needs while electric is off :)

12. riekmaharg2

Argh this machine is driving me insane, it just almost finished the entire part then it decided to plunge the all the way through the work piece :wallbash:, even though I ran that specific part of the toolpath twice afterward and it worked fine. I had to run it really slow too as the router isn't attached well enough to allow for high feed speeds. So I might either mod it so its tough enough for fast feed rates and try to find out why its moving itself without the computer telling it to or I might just buy a new motherboard that I can get a waterblock for lol.

The electric is suppose to be fixed now but it seams to be extremely sensitive to even the slightest electrical interference. Does anyone else have experience in this??

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

YES. These setups hate even the tiniest glitch in power consumption. Stuff running in the background is bad for it too. The scariest crash I ever had was caused by my antivirus software popping up a "how's the weather? Did you know we sell a non-free version?" message.

-Daisy chaining surge protectors helps a little. It's pretty stable here after they had to rebuild the entire grid.

14. riekmaharg2

I wonder if an UPS supply would stabilise it enough

15. DiamondFX

DiamondFX What's a Dremel?

I joined this forum just to tell you how much I am enjoying your work here dude. Well done!!!

16. RonanH

RonanH mod-envious

If it's just the power to the PC then yes a UPS will smooth out the spikes and dips and even out the voltages. Everything I read about cnc running from a pc says you need to be running a bare bones windows install with nothing installed or running that could interfere with the software as apparently there is no "buffer" each movement is fed through in real time. Stop all apps running in the background and all non-essential services. Disable all auto-updates etc.

Decent guide HERE!

17. riekmaharg2

Wow thanks DiamondFX :thumb:, glad to hear you like my work :)

Yeah the mach3 software came with an epic list of all the stuff I had to disable on the win xp machine to get it to work properly, I think the problem is the power going to the controller on the CNC not the PC, as the PC is unaware that the cnc has moved slightly. I might try wiring it directly to the mains as its just connected with a plug at the moment, maybe the plug isn't quite getting a solid connection.

I may just buy a more efficient motherboard one that will make do with just a small heatsink on it like this one: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 , as I think it will look better if the water cooling system is less complex thereby allowing the viewer to have a nice clear view of all the components, what do you think?

Last edited: 7 Nov 2011
  18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nah, The plug isn't the issue.
    Going crazy/ going off in an odd direction = computer glitch.
    Incremental changes in zero position during cutting = stepper slippage.

I'd recommend getting the CNC and computer off the same house circuit for starters.

19. Guunkushnaka

Guunkushnaka What's a Dremel?

Is it wrong to want to lick this build...:worried:

Can I do it anyway? :naughty:

:p

:eeek:

my brain....it is going to explode from awesomeness....

20. riekmaharg2

Yeah it moves when not cutting so I'll give that suggestion a go, I think I'm gonna treat the CNC as a seperate project, and just go with an efficient motherboard as it could take a while to redo the Z axis mechanism to make it much stronger to allow a decent feed rate, and it could end up costing quite abit.