1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD to lay off 10 per cent of its workforce

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 4 Nov 2011.

1. mediapcAddict

mediapcAddict What's a Dremel?

It's time for AMD to start thining outside the box

actually when I suggested getting a 6850 on board I was serious.

If you don't believe me here's my thinking.

----------------------------
    the problem is that the 6550 is in no mans land. it's not powerful enough for gamers yet it's over powered for average joes who just buy from dell etc.

the main problem is too much heat right. I don't design chips obviously ( who here does ) but here is my rough working.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units

The 6570 is 44 wats and the 6850 is 127 watts thats an additional 83 watts. llano is a 100 watt chip so were talking about releasing a a guestimate 200 watts chip . right ? too much ?.

there are two power savings that could bring this down. first the memory would be on the motherboard and not "with the chip" and secondly the 6850 on 32 nm ( instead of 40nm ) would consume I guess about 20% less power. so your looking at a 170/180 + watt chip before overclocking - still too much? for a £5 cooler ouch yes too much. BUT for a serious cooler

The thermaltake frio can cool "up to 220 watts"
    http://thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1319&ID=1956

Even the modest coolers on the 6950 or 6970 cards are dealing with a tdp of 200 and 250 watts respectively.

If you still have doubts check this page out

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/04/27/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-black-edition/7

it's a 125 watt tdp chip. the 1090t black stock ( 3.2 Ghz) at full load the whole system uses 195 watts. when over clocked to 3.87 ghz it consumes 338 watts thats 140 watts OVER the 125 tdp. yes roughly 30% of that is system BUT the cooler a "Titan Fenrir " can probably deal with 200 watts. which is enough to cope with a llano chip AND a 6850 on 32 nm.

Seriously I recon it's possible if amd start thinking outside the box.

If they had a seperate lane for the fastest possible ddr3 graphics memory. and seperate gpu and cpu overclocking ( black edition style easy overlcocking ) amd might have a chip gamers would actually buy.

I know it's never been done before - but that's exactly what amd does when it's at it's best.

If it worked maybe AMD would be hiring more people :clap:

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Why was that trolling? It's a valid question and you're deluding yourself if you think AMD has been the overall choice of GPU since the entire last series still has boot marks left by Nvidia all over it's backside. Your generalised statement of "hotter, and with frankly ridiculous power consumption" is outdated. You only have to look at the recent ASUS GTX580 ROG Matrix Platinum to see that.

So, remind me again, what's AMD good at?

3. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

AMD will get back into the game I hope. Competition is vital for the consumers. Without competition we'd get absolutely screwed.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

That's not the problem, it's the core of the business.
    AMD (mostly) makes money on business systems, not (so much on) consumer products.
    They're just not as much in the spotlight.

5. Kilmoor

Kilmoor lurker

Wake up! It's not about the chips!
    You're reading too deeply into this by focusing on the technology.

This is Capitalism plain and simple. The company will cut 200 million by redundancy in the labor force. I promise you, with a new gen of chips flowing the company will gross the same... That means 200 million to doll out to the shareholders as profit. Profit at the cost of the laborer. Simple as that.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The discrete graphics card market is shrinking. Intel's processor graphics are better than ever (think of that statement in terms of your parents or business' using a PC) and AMD's Llano chips helped keep the company afloat last quarter - in fact, they were DOMINANT in the Chinese market (because they are fast enough for all those LAN cafe's that play low detail MMOs/RPGs). The expected market for discrete cards is shrinking in laptops as well as trends move towards thinner and thinner notebooks and tablets that just don't use them.

I expect the discrete market will remain indefinitely, but the timescale between updates will get larger and the costs will increase, unless there's some investment offset in other sectors like GPGPU. Ideally we could see Microsoft make DirectX more GPGPU-like so the change in architecture still applies to benefit gaming too ;)

Kilmoor is almost there but with the highly cynical view. AMD will likely have debts from bad quarters to pay off (I'm not sure how much it would of had in the bank), while a company needs to show it is growing and on the right path to encourage further investment in order to continue on that 'right path'. Shareholders are simply not patriotic to product lines, but they can also be knee-jerk to trends (as ever it's a double-edged sword). Investment is necessary for the massive R&D costs high tech companies face. From what I know from previous to working where I do now, AMD did have serious internal conflicts that it needs to sort out, but the high profile losses were not the ones causing the conflicts afaik.. I don't talk to AMD anymore since taking my current position.

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Nov 2011
  7. stanonwheels

stanonwheels What's a Dremel?

Sempron was ****, Phenom was ****, Athlon II was ****, Phenom II was ****, Bulldozer is ****.
    AMD are indestructible. Long live hopeless chips with better names than intel.

8. mediapcAddict

mediapcAddict What's a Dremel?

I think we are already seeing the signs of weak competition when you have to spend £160 on an intel chip before you can overclock properly.
    I would guess if AMD had a chip competative to sandy bridge we would see cheaper dual core K series sandy bridge chips.

Besides does any one hold out any hope for AMD processors or it's employees.

I mean currenlty they AMD can't manufacture as well as intel ( intel on 22nm and amd just begining on 32nm)

They can't design as well as intel. By almost any measure ( instructions per clock, output per watt, frame rates in most games, encoding video) intel wins.

It's only price Amd can compete on.

To put it another way what would you say or do to convince someone to buy AMD instead of intel?

Last edited: 10 Nov 2011
  9. TC93

TC93 What's a Dremel?

A company doesn't have to have the absolute fastest processor to make money. People will still buy it, depending on the value you get for your money. I know I never buy the absolute fastest, as that usually means its also the worst value (jacked up price) of any.

I also much prefer AMD/ATI Video cards.

My current AMD 1055T 6 core cpu is plenty fast enough for everything I do. I also have a AMD 6950 video card.

10. TC93

TC93 What's a Dremel?

I should also add, that AMD/ATI is usually always ahead of Nvidia when it comes to adding technology to their cards. That is fact.

My next cpu whenever that is, most likely will be AMD again. You get the most for your money from AMD.

Tags: Add Tags