1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress GET A LIFE - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 17 Nov 2010.

1. kopkin

kopkin What's a Dremel?

wowzers!

2. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

I still think you should have taped off a tiny circle on the aluminum so it would conduct...

But nice!

3. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

That switch is rawesome!

And I don't think that tape would have survived the anodizing bath, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure that unless the tape was made for exactly that very purpose, the fluids would soak the tape - or creep under the tape's glue layer somehow and the taped part would still become anodized - but, as I said before: I COULD be wrong...

yassarikhan786 likes this.
  4. Hannes

Hannes Design | Art | Performance

DU ÄR GALEN!

5. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

You can easily tape off parts for anodizing....at least the places where he would get it anodized could.

Sometimes the 'tape' involves a liquid goo as well that buffers the acid from the material.

6. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

THanks for looking forward to it:thumb:

Thanks kopkin:thumb:

Yeah I was thinking of it in the beginning but realised it wouldn't just be as simple as a piece of tape. The button piece would have to be isolated from the rest of the case and I havn't got hold of the electronics to play around with. A normal push button just felt like the best solution at this point. But your definetly right.. a touch switch would have been cool.

Thanks for liking it
    Yes tapemasking can be done, but im not shure how precise the edges and the results are.

Tar det som en komplimang :)

Ok now I know How that tape works, have been wondering that :)

7. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Mini update time

I've started to work on the backplate, one of the last pieces of this project.
    There isn't ver much to show but It was very time consuming to make.

Since the sides of the case consist of a total of 20 pieces machined manually, the tolerance chains are very noticeable and it's hard to get a symetrical shape. All the edges required individual measuring and filing to make shure the lid fits nicely. It's times like this that I wish I had an extruder in the backyard to just extrude the whole shape of the case :)

*makes note for next project: less small pieces :)

Anyway, I cut the basic shape with a band saw.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I used a trick that I lerant from Atilla her on the forums. To get the edges as straight as possible, I clamped a steel plate along the line I wanted to file down to. Then I kept filing until I hit the steelplate and could hear the sound change. It's not clamped in the pic but the parts used are atleast vissible. Thanks Atilla, greate tip:thumb:
    [​IMG]

8. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Props to Attila. Will also try that next time!

9. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Yep, there's a lot to learn from his work :thumb:

10. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

While I was reading through this log I was trying to come up with a comment what didn't use the usual words like awesome etc .... but I can't so awesome it is :)

I think there is more work in one of your cables than there is in the whole of one of my cases.....

11. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Hehe thanks for the awesome comment:thumb:
    And Im glad you like the cables.
    When I make my projects I often have a very fixed idea of how the end result is going to look like and this idea is the last thing I wan't to change. That's why I often have to change everything around the idea instead to make it possible, like the cables and connectors. This is often timeconsuming and sometimes boring, but I hope it will show in the final product.

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: Nah, all those intricate perfect fitting pieces are fantastic, already looks mint & will shine fantastically once it's anodised & in use :rock: I think that might be a stage many a modder gets to in a project where they have been spending a lot of time making bits & think they might be boring people but being on the other side just watching I can say it isn't boring :).

:hehe: I keep trying to cut out the word awesome also, I overuse the word I know :D but evey time I hang around modding forums I just can't help it because theres just too much awesomeness happening :D, my bro refrains from saying awesome & says mega but that just sounds strange to me & makes me laugh :lol:.

13. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I will carry on the trend and say: A small update but an awesome one at that :).

14. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks Waynio for the mega awsome comment;)

Yeah, It's kind of hard to see the log from the viewers point of view and to decide whether there is too much or too little pictures,and if they are describing enough. I know that it can be hard to "see" and understand someone elses project. Thats why I try to keep the updates as describing and flowing as possible. I prefere a picture too much than a picture to little.

However I don't always do the work in the order that's shown in the log. This is the reason why there is sometimes a long time between my updates. I simply work on several pieces at once and hold on to some updates until all the pieces/pictures are done and the update will be more fluid. I have done a lot more work than what you have seen so far, but it's not the time to show it just yet :)

Thanks yassarikhan. Much Apreciated :thumb:

15. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Time to add a hole or two.
    I think i mentioned some posts back that there was one part of this project that will require a tiny tiny bit more work than any of the other parts.
    This is the one and this is why:

[​IMG]

By hole #211 it was starting to get quite repetitive and doing this with a manual mill didn't make it much more fun.
    [​IMG]

But a few hours later I was done. I was so shure I was going to mess up atleast one of the holes but they all seem to be ok.phew! I think the hole count is 295, feel free to check if yu wan't ;)
    [​IMG]

2mm alu is too thick for the next treatment of the holes so I'll need to mill it down to 1mm thickness.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, here we go. All holes need to be turned into a square pixel. The worst part is that the file doesn't fit in the holes, but thats the point. The hole needs to be smaller than the file to not mess upp the material inbetween each hole. So Ill have to carefully file my way trough, and make shure not to bend the alu.
    [​IMG]

As you might see, the square holes aren't that nice yet. This first step was just to get the file all the way through each hole. That way I can shape them more easely in the next step and focus on getting the final square shape
    [​IMG]

OH SNAP!!!!
    [​IMG]

This was the first part, I still need to go over each of the holes atleast 2 times before thay are done. So far there is around 10-15hours into this peace. I think Ill hit 20-25 before it's done :)

16. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

that's awesome The_Gnu... how the heck did you break a frigging file into half?? lol

17. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

It wasn't to hard actually since it's a 3mm needlefile and I was aplying quite a lot of force to get it through. ;)

18. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

... you must be insanely strong! lol:jawdrop::hip:

19. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I've snapped a few needle files without really trying myself too- they are very hard metal, but also very brittle too, like a lot of thread cutting taps ( snapped a few of those aswell :lol: ).

Shame you don't have a hydraulic press handy to punch out each square hole with, that's alot of work but the result will be awesome :thumb:

20. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Yeah, they snap right off sometimes:) The worst part about snapping a tap is that it sometimes destroys the part because it's so hard to get it out.

I was investigating on making some kind of press tool in the beginning. But im pretty shure it would be pretty impossible for any tool to have the 1mm fins between each hole that Im aiming fore. I guess the finish wouldn't have been that great.

But I hope this'll work :)