1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Virgin pledges 100Mb broadband for third of UK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 3 Nov 2011.

1. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I never said that was traffic management. Notice the words "also" and "too". It's two separate issues which I made very clear, although you don't know the difference between their and there so it's no surprise. As for your rant, I don't believe you. I have read elsewhere that they DO have a policy towards youtube and I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH YOUTUBE CONSTANTLY. So as far as I'm concerned, what YOU said is rubbish, and really, unless you actually work for them with some high up position, then you wouldn't even know what their policy is anyway.

p.s. Also that thing about popularity is a load of bolx. I am getting a constant loading circle at the moment, even on a video with over 6 million views.

Fanboi drivel. I'm not paying average prices so why should I be satisfied with an average speed? Besides, my neighbour is on a 24mbit package and he gets about 17 mbit all the time. So when my 20mbit gets gimped down to whatever punishment they deem fair, it's far from what I could be getting.

But yea you are right, their service twenty years from now is probably going to be very good, so I have no right to be unenthused about present day life. :duh:

Last edited: 5 Nov 2011
  2. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

On 50meg, get 50 meg at all times, and there's no limits on virgins 50 or 100 meg packages, love the service, I've been considering the 100meg package but really, when you can download any game in under a hour it doesn't seem like a big deal. I think 50 meg might be the sweet spot for most users.

3. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

100mb not much use to me Due to traffic management my vpn is only affective up to 40mb at the 6pm to midnight, with out vpn my usenet is useless as I get less then 1-2mb (p2p or utorrent is not really affected due to encryption on the client)

4. mediapcAddict

mediapcAddict What's a Dremel?

I hear that. youtube is basically a waste of time past about 6pm on my 6mb/s
    unless of course you like videos constantly interupted with buffering ( and thats ANY video currently popular of not).

now that flash/youtube/ie9/whomever doesn't buffer ALL the video when you pause it. You can't use the old let if buffer then watch it trick. Now I either use youtube downloader pro :D or just don't bother.

as for lovefilm forget about it at peak times. :(

5. John_T

John_T Minimodder

What on earth are you both doing? Backing up YouTube?

6. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

We have a standard asdl line with about 1mb dl, and we could get 30mb dl but my dad can't see the point :wallbash:

7. kopkin

kopkin What's a Dremel?

i have bt infinity and am pretty happy with it (although it's expensive)
    i personally wouldn't get much benefit by the virgin speeds although they look v. nice :)

8. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i hate to have an persion like that ADSLwhere i am is only 1mb maybe 2mb on my street (VM is 10-100mb and my Node is not overloaded {warrington} so i get ful speed apart from usenet that VPN 80% bypasses), who are you with if its just BT boardband its £20-22 for 10mb bb or 25-27 for 30mb (think its £2 more for phone) he can keep his number

youtube seems to just be youtube or ISP is thottering it (VPN to bypass it agane)

keyboard onthis netbook sucks (spacebar not working allways)

9. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Already available in my area. Though i'm happy with a meager 10mb line. i actually do get the 10mb speeds though. everybody around here with sky etc get "up to 20mb" but in reality get 4-5mb at a push.
    The speed throttle is annoying though as i get hit by it sometimes. With the 100mb service there is no throttling, just 100mb service all day.

10. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

I have just upgraded to 100Mbps and it is awesome. It only cost me £5 a month more and I got a free installation to boot! Also got a Tivo box (500GB) with free installation and activation for only £3 a month extra!!

Virgin always rocks for me. I started using the internet when AOL ruled the roost down the phone lines (people still get internet that way?). Virgin cable internet is by far the best I have used. I have progressed from 1Mb-2Mb-4Mb-10Mb-20Mb-50Mb and now to 100Mbps and the service and speeds have been amazing.

Imagine how awful our connections would be with only BT or Sky. Competition is great and Virgin have done so much to get the UK up amongst the best internet speeds in the world. You can really tell the difference when you get 50Mb or 100Mb. Downloads are blindingly fast and you can tell the bad (or busy) servers from the decent ones. I can't wait for the 200Mbps sometime in 2013/2014.

WHY 100Mbps?
    My power PC, 4 laptops, 2 Blackberries, 2 Iphones, 2 PS3s, 1 Xbox, 3 PSPs & 1 Printer- not all at the same time, but you never know!

11. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Linux ISOs ;)

Seriously though, that was an incredibly exceptional month for me. Typical usage per month for me is in the 30-50GB region, and I'm quite firmly a power user. The point was to illustrate that someone downloading 4TB in a month on a residential line is frankly insane.

12. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

I was so stoked when I moved to finally go from 50 to 100. Turns out the road next to mine has it but for me no fibre. I choose to sell my sr2 build and move on to the real life.
    It sucks. I can't cope with the 60kbps adsl offers me.
    Please someone come and put some fibre in my road :)

13. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

As I said, Hyperspin. Google it. That was an exceptional month for me though. I had a short window to get as much stuff as possible and used/abused it. Not that there was any point now harddisks have shot up in price. Was hoping to have everything on the software side setup by christmas :(

14. psychoti

psychoti What's a Dremel?

i ll never ever go back to Virgin!
    (unless they make an offer that i wont be able to refuse!)

15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

A bold claim when they have trouble providing lesser speeds to customers. I personally have 50 meg with them and it is very good. But you only need to visit their forum to see how troublesome it can be in some areas.

It's a lottery, really. And that's the same for any provider. Talk Talk has to be the worst I have come across, but I have a friend who sings their praises because of good service. Essentially that is what it is. No provider is good, they all suck. It is a colossal job providing broadband fairly and evenly to the masses.

I do welcome the effort Virgin is making, however. They are really trying to get broadband out to people, while the government just sit on their asses and complain that they can't afford it.

16. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

I guess I need to change supplier than LOL.

Tags: Add Tags