1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Nov 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Best review ever!!

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

An honest review that doesn't give a f**k about fanboy backlash? Excellent.

4. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

Funny, I know that the console kids will fall over themselves to announce 'MW3 is teh best game eva'.

5. xennus

xennus What's a Dremel?

Good, then they wont be annoying those of us who play real tactical man shooters like bf3 :D

6. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

If MW3 is more of the same, then so is BF3?. 64 players? didn't we have that in BF2? Jets, helicopter, tanks, check, check, check. I think EA has pulled a blinder in terms of convincing people they are buying something new by removing features over versions then replacing them later as new.

Still the whole BF3 vs MW3 reminds me of the early 80's Spectrum vs C64's, or 90's Amiga vs Atari ST. Some people will swear blind the other game is "more of the same" (or meh) without realising the irony in their statement.

7. ulfar

ulfar holy s**t, i can change this?

thumbs up for a great review. unlike other sites (i just accidentally stumbled upon one... i swear... it wasn't intentionally.. please... please, not the kneecaps), who gave mw3 and bf3 the same (high) score.

8. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

this is why love to come back to bit-tech website, proper reviews, honest and spot on. one of the best reviews I've read in a loooong time

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I've said as much many times before and likely would have raised those points had I written the BF3 review. However, remember that BF3 at least brings technical enhancements (Frostbite 2, destructibility) and has a singleplayer campaign for the first time in the (core) Battlefield series. It also has a architechture around it in terms of lobbies and servers that is more PC-supportive and has the boon of not being rinsed as regularly for as long as Call of Duty.

That alone gives it a freshness, as it's easy to forget that while Bad Company 2 came out in 2010, the last BF game on PC before that came out in 2006.

10. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Thanks for a honest review... :)

11. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I'm not sure if it's just the screenshots, but MW3's graphics engine looks like it hitched a ride on a Delorean from 1955.

komm likes this.
  12. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

LOL!! +1

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Good on you Joe, I can imagine this thread will degenerate into a rather enormous criticism of your review though. :p

14. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

Brilliant, the review is better than the game.

15. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Your review is EXACTLY what I expected it to be.

16. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

This is one of Joe's best reviews. Totally spot on and highly entertaining.

17. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I find it funny how far this has fallen out of favour with you guys. This is the best CoD yet, and while the improvements over MW2 are minor, that was your GOTY 2009. Gaming has not moved on so much over two years that this review is fair. The majority of franchises are the same old and will continue to be so until next gen, so what gives? For most PC gamers I feel that the lack of dedicated servers in MW2 turned them off the series and whatever was added to MW3 was too little too late, and if you had that opinion it would make sense. But you don't. For you the subtraction of features from MW1 to MW2 somehow made GOTY material, and restoration of features with incremental improvements make MW3 "the most depressing part of the games industry". Wtf Bit-tech?

18. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Well, the problem with CoD from a PC perspective is that it is very much a console game that just happens to be ported to PC. It's not a bad thing per se and I enjoyed many a console game, but when you compare it to the PC version of BF3 then it looks rubbish. And I don't mean eye candy even. By now the hardware of consoles has become too limiting to do things like level design on the same level as even a mediocre PC.
    In general I don't agree that either console or PC games are intrinsically better or worse, but in this case it seems pretty obvious. In other genres (racing, fighting and to a lesser extent action adventure games) these limitations are less apparent and in any way we don't have titles built specifically for gaming PCs to compare them with. Not the case when it comes to FPS though.

The gap between BF and CoD on PC has become massive. On the consoles the difference is much smaller as console BF3 is a different game.

19. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

Awesome review! Nice to see some honest opinions.

20. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

Even with the clear cut difference in graphics on the PC I just find MW3 more fun to play than BF3 and as an added bonus MW3 doesn't keep randomly closing or crashing either.

Tags: Add Tags