1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Using bicycle helmet cameras?

Discussion in 'General' started by bigsharn, 29 Oct 2011.

1. tipz69

tipz69 What's a Dremel?

• Secondary position unless travelling at the same speed as the flow of traffic.

Never had a puncture. Ever. Kevlar lined tires with puncture strips and a suitable rim width and tyre size to avoid pinch punctures. Same with the wheels, never had a problem. Obviously I don't ride over them if they have been fitted with the drainage slots parallel to the road, in this case I ride an inch or two to the outside. I should mention I ride in all weather all year. Choosing the correct tyres for your environment and riding style is king. In snow and ice I have studded tyres inflated at the correct pressure for the road conditions.

Filtering, whether legal and safe or not, gets you no where in the grand scheme of things. It only serves to antagonise other road users. Vehicles can be used as a deadly weapon. Why anyone would do anything to aggravate a driver whilst in such a vulnerable position I don't know. It only takes one driver whos having a bad week, has anger issues, or some other cyclist has caused him damage to his vehicle to snap and end your life.

If I'm sat in traffic, I am travelling at the same speed as the flow of traffic, therefore I'm in primary position. I always assume no-one has seen me unless I am in front of them anyway.

Again, jumping red lights, undertaking, anything like that is not courteous regardless of it safeness or the legality of it.

I am assuming common sense here. Of course I am not going to go around signalling every car to go. If the road is clear and they are waiting for me, I'll let them go before I reach the junction and if its safe to do so.

An example to clear that up. The last incident was on a quiet open road, I was in primary position gunning it and a large chap came running to the edge of the road, stopped, looked the other way down the road (I'm watching him to make sure he doesn't go), sees a car. Waits (still looking the other way) then just as I'm around 10m away runs out in front of me and the car. He actually ran in to the side of me lol. I'm pretty sure the car would have flattened him if he hadn't hit me.

To sum up I love cycling. When its safe to let go and thrash the crap out of myself, I'll do it with a huge grin on my face. Everything else, filtering, causing traffic to slow down, etc its totally unnecessary.

2. tipz69

tipz69 What's a Dremel?

Just another note to add. As a driver, I'm aggressive and inconsiderate. I am exactly the type of driver I assume everyone is when I cycle.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

You sir, are an idiot. Its no wonder our roads are are a bloody battlefield, people need to learn a little consideration and aggression really has no place when your driving. Seriously what does it gain.

This message is brought to you by my inner driver. My inner cyclists wants to club you do death with a d-lock.... ;)

4. tipz69

tipz69 What's a Dremel?

Yep, idiotic driver. Which is why I cycle

steveo_mcg likes this.
  5. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Skate and pisspot halmets have little to no ventilation, and Skate helmets are less padded than motorbike helmets so still dig in

As a sidenote: I know I was supposed to go into JJB today to look for a helmet alternative, but I just wanted to get home after work, so no feedback on that as of yet :p

As I mentioned, not always the safest position to be in, but that's up to you.

It's alright for some :p As I mentioned earlier I ride on Schwalbe Marthon plus' and have had a pinch puncture before now from a sunken drain (and that was on my 32c rear wheel). It's not that it happens often, but it's still always a possibility

Not always true, I'm guessing that you live somewhere without a great deal of traffic from that. In my experience, if I filter past a car it's very rare that they overtake me back, especially in the city centre.

I agree, hence I said anyone that did do those things on a regular basis was a fool.

That;s fair enough. I assumed that you took primary and held cars up behind you to let the people pull out of the sideroad. I know it sounds like a pretty daft thing to do, but I know folks who actually do that.

I figured that you just meant folk stepping off the pavement idly, as happens more often than I'd like, locally at least.

I enjoy cycling for leisure, I regularly go out on my days off for a ride around the local countryside and I too am guilty of doing it with a huge smile on my face. In the city centre though, it's impractical a lot of the time to let people pass you so closely that if you had a wobble for whatever reason you'd end up under their wheels.
    Of course I'm not trying to convince you any differently, just sharing opinion, but I find that being a sod for a quarter mile, then letting folk pass safely is much less likely to result in people knocking you off (pedestrians or otherwise)

At least you can admit that, many people can't and that's why we get into incidents with motorists, so for that I admire you.

6. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Last month cycling home from work i got knocked off by a driver who thought he had priority over me turning right across the flow of traffic, needless to say, it hurt quite a lot, fractured collarbone anyone?

Having said this, my bike was fine, and his car was quite badly scratched up, as his fault, this is his problem, but if I had been insured, as I believe we all should be, then I would have had some recompense or next step of action for the accident.

7. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

P.S. That cyclist in the first video is a complete idiot...

8. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Bigsharn, do you have a full Uk drivers license?

9. bagman

bagman Minimodder

When I cycle and I see a red light ahead of me I slow down and cycle slower so that by the time I get to it, it goes green. If I cannot avoid it I cycle all the way to the front apart from the first car. When it goes green I then wait for the first car to pull away first, then I go. This stops the car in front cutting me up if it decides to go left, and if he goes straight ahead I can usually keep up with him so cars behind me don't need to overtake me. If I can't keep up with him that doesn't matter as cars behind me can usually overtake me safely.

I always stop for a red light and do the above. But at a pedestrian crossing if there are no cars about I will keep on going as it takes a lot of energy to build up the speed again, and its not like they have to wait long.

I also avoid drains if I can. They are usually very slippery and you could fall off your bike and on to the road creating more problems than if I just avoided it.

I also hate it when people step out onto the road taking your road space, especially when cycling, when driving I find it doesn't usually effect me. The worst is J walkers.

10. format

format What's a Dremel?

Was cycling home tonight, and needed to filter into the outside lane in order to take a right at the next junction.

Looked over my shouder, saw a car about 6 car lengths behind. Stuck out my arm to indicate, at which point I heard him rev his engine, so didn't move over yet.

Looked over again, trying to make eye contact with the driver. Stuck arm out again, only to have the car accelerate so it was just behind me to me right. Kept arm out but every time I tried to move over, he'd move up just enough to make it impossible for me to move into the next lane. I give up, and drop back (there were no cars behind me), only for him to accelerate forwards and filter left into the lane I was in!

I just can't understand these people.

11. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

I don't, but I work with Passenger Carrying Vehicles so I have to know my highway code. Until recently I've never had a need for a driving licence, and only now am I considering it. Why do you ask?

Oh, you'd love cycling in York

12. bagman

bagman Minimodder

:eeek: Do they not know the difference between road and pavement? Freaking nightmare, how are you meant to cycle fast in that? You should be easily be able to push it, hardly no cars about. They should make more of a effort staying close to the pavement at least.

13. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

That's nothing.. have none of yous been abroad? rulebook >> window. LOVE IT.

14. bagman

bagman Minimodder

I do, in Sweden you have cycle paths which are gritted and snow plowed and lined with street lamps. But I have been to turkey as well, lets just say I never saw 1 cyclist the whole 2 weeks I was there.