1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Tt eSports Black Gaming Mouse Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 13 Feb 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

Interesting. I think all of the limitations you mention are present in the g5 which is probably the best control mechanism of any kind I've ever used (toss up with an N64 controller). Your thumb rests beneath the sole thumb button, only 3 sensitivity settings and a scroll wheel. It also has the removable weights. So pretty much the exact same feature set and I wouldn't swap my g5 for any other mouse going. It actually upsets me that the replacement g500 has all the extra stuff you mentioned as sooner or later my g5 will die.

For gaming I find the scroll wheel is all I need, CS:S scroll to change weapon is just second nature at this point.

sp4nky likes this.
  3. Crunch77

Crunch77 What's a Dremel?

If it would've had thumbbuttons like the deathadder, I would buy it.

4. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Every time someone asks about which mouse to get, a few people extol the virtues of the Logitech MX518. In their absence, I'll give it a go.

There's something about the shape of Logitech's mice that just makes them perfect for my hand. The smooth bump and elongated nose, the dimple on the left side for the thumb, it all makes it perfect for resting my right-hand on the mouse and moving it for long periods. No chance of RSI here.

As with all gaming mice, it has the ubiquitous DPI adjustment and, unlike the G5, there are two thumb buttons. So in Battlefield, you can switch to your knife or your pistol, if that's how you're inclined. In browsing, you've got back AND forward buttons on the mouse.

Weights? No need for silly weights that make absolutely no difference here. Also you're not paying for extras that you're not going to use unless you're a pro-gamer who shares his mouse with other people.

All in, the MX518 is the best mouse on the market right now, imho.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The MX518 has a serious downside as well though and that is the Software which misses various bits the G Series Mice have, yes I know some of it can be added back in by editing certain xml files, but still...
    Anyway, the G Series has its downside as well and thats the too stiff cable.

Back to topic, I don't get the point of a back to the basics gaming mouse, because if it is back to the basics they might as well loose the Gamer branding and sell it for a fair price.

6. PerfectD3

PerfectD3 What's a Dremel?

NOTE: I have BIG hands, and when the review states, "only those with large hands who find normal mice uncomfortable need to consider the Black." It's definitely the reason why I got one for myself.

I had bought this mouse after a good friend and I were working on building his second gaming rig. We decided to give this mouse a run, and we weren't particularly looking for something AMAZING with a high price tag considering that he mainly only plays Counter Strike; Source, Team Fortress 2 and some non serious World of Warcraft.

The quality was really surprising for what it "had to offer". Considering there were no macro keys, or much in the ways ofcustomization, I was actually really happy with what seems to be to everyone acting like the standing rules of "OMG I WONT BUY THIS, ITS NOT THE NAGA WITH 40,000 EXTRA KEYS!" Consider this: not everyone plays MMO's these days, and don't require 17 custom keys for a knife fight in CS 1.6. It's not a shock that this mouse has out-performed any other mice I've used in FPS game's that I've played. I've been able to play Dead Island, CS:S, and TF2 all just fine on this model. The buttons for DPI switching are perfectly placed, as I've had to deal with a lot of griping of the switch for DPI on the bottom, (seriously, whats the ****ing point of that?) and/or having to always customize mouse settings differently for different game modes and etc within the in-game menu.

Overall, this mouse isn't a piece of **** Back to Basics as this review somewhat stipulates. For larger handed gamers, its definitely a model you really should consider, despite its lack of bells and whistles. The MX518 just never felt right in my hand, as if it almost felt too narrow for my liking, and just doesn't seem to work with some of the larger handed gamers.

Tags: Add Tags