1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bethesda: 'PC development is a headache'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Nov 2011.

1. atlas

atlas What's a Dremel?

I kind of agree, Bethesda doesn't really suffer from this but the problem with PC gaming in general these days is that the PC versions being released are shockingly ported console versions. You only need to look at the solid PC games like Starcraft 2 to see that PC gaming is alive and well, the problem lies with the developers. The other problem that Bethesda has suffered from is that PC developers today release their games when they are actually only in BETA, and then make all the consumers beta testers until they can get enough patches out to fix all the issues. While I am well aware the millions of configurations can pose problems as far as testing goes a lot of the time the issues that need patching on not just on a few systems but across the board.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2011
  2. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Developing PC games is a challenge? Judging by how ****ing horrible every game Bethesda have made since Morrowind has been, I was kind of under the impression they'd just given up altogether.

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Well sure, but at least then the work only has to be done once.

Perhaps the real issue here, underlying everything, is that DirectX is perhaps failing to provide sufficient abstraction.

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Everyone shouting at the developers should make a reality-test.

Fact is, that there's a gazillion of different PC-setups to be dealt with and that alone makes development pretty hard. And now add tons of different and probably outdated drivers and voila... NIGHTMARE!

So, either the developer is looking for a solution based on two year old hardware and drivers, to make sure their game works on as many PC-setups as possible, or they aim high and develop for the most recent hardware and deal with the anger of lots of people not being able to run the game smoothly, etc.

I'm not defending the developers at all with this, but only making my thoughts about these issues objectively.

The next issue ofc is, that alot of games are developed for the console first and then ported to the PC. The result is very often rather unsatisfying and in this case you can actually blame the developer for not investing enough time to tweak the controls, POV, higher res textures etc.

I've little problems with those issues, as I've shifted to console-gaming (sports and racing usually) and only play MMOs on the PC which is fine. Those who like FPS or ActionAdventures do have to deal with the mentioned issues tho.

5. Optimaximal

Optimaximal What's a Dremel?

I thought the point is that with APIs in place such as DirectX 10, you shouldn't target hardware, rather target the capabilities of the API.

I guess that's the problem - everyone is still writing for DirectX 9, which is a compatibility cluster**** by comparison.

6. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

That's the theory. In practice, different drivers implement the API in different ways, which results in different bugs and performance issues.

7. Rustynutts

Rustynutts What's a Dremel?

LoL

:waah: :waah: This :waah::waah: that LoL

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Anything? that's a bold statement to make

9. Bede

Bede Minimodder

+rep.

In essence they have to work out if they profit from releasing on the PC with all the 'effort' they make for PC. If they do, so be it and they should not complain - do you see them bitching about jumping through console certification hoops or sharing revenue with Microsoft and Sony? If not, just don't release for PC and someone else will.

10. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I had no bugs.

I did find it to be a boring piece of **** though. Let me see you blame that on drivers Bethsduh.

11. Hrodwulf666

Hrodwulf666 Arse about tit master!

Its it a coincidence that both parties complaining about the PC platform are from the same Publishing house? Are we going to see more of this? We always thought the threat came from the publishers, but now it looks like the Devs are the ones who will make PC's redundant. This is concerning. If this attitude spreads the whole face of gaming could change. I imagine the ferocity of our community only serves to heighten the resentment Devs feel towards our platform.

12. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

Well Mr. Pete Hines, spokesman for Bethesda. I can see you standing there, crossing and uncrossing your legs so you don't wet yourself, wringing your hands, bottom lip quivering, mewling like a 10 year old girl, "Making PC games is hard," as you dribble a few tears down your pathetically woebegone face. I thought that I had heard wimp-outs before but yours takes the cake.
    Perhaps Bethesda should hire people that are competent enough to design and build PC games, grow a pair and start, at least trying, to address the problems that have been with the act of designing games for the PC since day one!
    Don't come crying to us PC gamers with your problems. Those were there when Bethesda decided to start making games. It's part of the job. Always was. Now isn't the time to start whining about the difficulties involved. Bethesda has a major investment in PC games and stands to lose quite a bit of money by jut closing their eyes to the problems involved, giving up and just making platform games for children. You owe us PC gamers. You always will. We made you what you are. Were.
    WE didn't ask you to waste your time on console games. We were and are concerned with actual computers. Not toys.
    Now shut up, blow your nose and wipe away those tears of sissydom. Change your panties. Go out, get yourself a set of testicular implants so you at least appear to be a man!

Volund likes this.
  13. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

kzinti1 Nice post, couldn't agree with you more.

Nothing pisses me off more than these devs that cut their teeth making PC games over 20 years ago building their companies up to what they are today and hear them piss and moan about developing PC games and scurrying over to consoles because "they are easier" and trying to snub those who have fed them for all these years.

14. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

Funny, I seem to recall a small, independent Polish company called Flying Wild Hog managed to push out a good-looking, stable-running game in two years with a smaller budget. Granted, it wasn't as long, and it wasn't 100% smooth, but it was certainly better-running than RAGE.

15. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Didn't Carmack want to be able to get 'closer to the metal' on PC because things like DirectX were too limiting? If they're already crying about how hard it is to develop for PC, what kind of mess would they make of developing to bare metal?

How's about they shut up and stop developing games, and just concentrate on the engines, since that seems to be what they're good at?

16. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Bit of a derp, there. I meant id, naturally, not all of Bethesda. Other than the 'shut up', that remains in effect to Bethesda.

17. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

In fairness, developing for PC is harder than developing for the consoles, simply because of the none standardised hardware.

From the point of view of a publisher who perhaps is more interested in consoles (due to the much greater returns), worrying about getting a game to work on all PCs when it's pretty simple for a console would probably seem like an unneeded headache.

The fact that Bethesda are willing to develop for PC at all when sales are often less than 10% of the total but require extra compatability effort is a plus all by itself.

Sent from Bittech Android app

18. PlayedStation

PlayedStation Possessed like an apostrophe

If i walked into my office, sat down with my boss and said: My job is hard.

I'd expect no sympathy whatsoever. It's what you get paid to do. If it was easy, we'd all be doing it no?

Hines, do one.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2011
  19. Hazda

Hazda What's a Dremel?

It's true they are getting a little sloppy since Morrowind. I would just be happy if the games in the future (unsure about Skyrim) doesn't have mouse acell problems.

20. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

WAKE UP BIT-TECH, SKYRIM USES STEAMWORKS!

That means having to create a Steam account and the not-so-implausible situation of losing the game (and any other Steamworks or Steam-purchased content) if the account gets suspended.

Bit-Tech's casual approach to DRM in games (i.e. not including any details) is annoying enough but flagging a release as near-DRM-free when it uses one of the tightest DRM systems (only the always-on systems like Ubisoft's impose tighter restrictions) shows that the reviewer has got drunk on Bethesda's PR Kool-Aid.

And yes, I'll be boycotting this as I've done every other game requiring online activation (and I do own both Morrowind and Oblivion).

Tags: Add Tags