1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage HDD Prices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Behemoth, 21 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

At some point you have to STFU!

2. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I thought we were all here to talk about computer technology, not argue about whose take on current economic and business policies, as triggerd by a major natural tragedy, is right. Surely we are all adult enough to just get on despite our different ideas on some subjects?

3. Another_level

Another_level What's a Dremel?

The best way to shut me up is to out debate me with the use of bona fide information.

* Another_level pauses and thinks for a moment *

Sorry Pete, looks like your cronies and yourself are not equiped to shut me up.

* Another_levels grins like a Cheshire Cat *

:D

4. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

The only fool is the fool who states facts with little knowledge. I have given another level countless reasons and he takes no notice.. Even did the bloody maths earlier.

FACT IS HDD MANUFACTURERS HAVE DOUBLED THERE PRICES..Distribution have upped there margin as have re-sellers.. the maths i did earlier clearly shows that the price hike is about right and no all distributors being greedy.. now if you people keep going on it just shows your ignorance. no ones more guilty that the other so no need to point fingers.. If you don't want to buy HDD whilst its in constraint don't.. No one really gives a monkeys.. If the manufacturers only ever sold to HP and Dell etc i don't think they even bat a eyelid they are the market for HDD not Scan etc.

Maths, Business, Economics are all lost on some of you, so if anyone would be easy to fool it would be the same few.

Like banging my head against the wall. You don't know what a distributor buys for so how can you possibly say there the profiteer? you only know what re-sellers sell for, the re-seller only knows what the distie sells for.. so when you ask the re-seller why your pricing has gone up he an only say the distributors have put there ricing up. its a next tier information situation.. that's why people are saying its distribution because that's the only info/pricing they have access too.

Now before you even bother to reply read this 3 times process it and engage your brain.

5. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

We have, again and again and again. We have even linked to our sources, which you have not.

You do not debate, you just filibuster.

And I thought you said that THEY were MY cronies!!!

Ratchet219 likes this.
  6. Another_level

If I was clueless or even brainless then I'd believe your every word!

On a serious, I know you can't back up your claims with bona fide information.

7. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

30+(10% Distie) £3 = £33.... +(10% reseller) £3.30 = £36.30

Manufactures have double their pricing as most other people have with there margin so below shows

60+(20% Distie) £12 = £72.... +(20% reseller) £14.40 = £86.40
    238% Price increase, which matches up with what we are seeing and look at how much Distribution are making! there juts raking it in arnt they.. the poor re seller not making anything

Your a fricking moron, Short of posting a confidential cost price from sea gate online (not worth my job) you have all the information.. your just p****** everyone off. We have all proved you wrong a million times? do you not feel stupid yet? no you don't follow everyone else, Idiots never do!

8. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Just looked you up.. Join date 18th Oct 2011.. and 98% your posts are in this thread or the other HDD thread move on Troll.. all makes sense now didn't think someone could be so relentlessly ignorant/stupid

9. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

I pointed this out pages and pages ago. Had checked up on his bit-tech history but didn't post about it. Really he is a troll.

Who in their right mind says things like "I will counter your greedy payed off argument (which is very sensible) with (totally ridiculous) superior intellect!" or talk about us and our arguments like we are the (evil capitalistic villain) and everyone else in the thread against him is (the evil capitalistic villains minions) - Only a troll would.

EDIT: Really the best we can do is not get angry. Its the internet, nonetheless an internet forum.

Also, he is 'Enfant Provocateur' and 'Ferrous Cranus', very clearly the second.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2011
  10. Another_level

Why would I feel stupid by someone who is not able to communicate in a reasonable way? Name calling and providing dud information does not exactly enhance your position as an authoritive spokeman. If Seagate or Western Digital have really doubled their prices then there should be a statement released by them somewhere in the public domain.

Now after seeing several of your posts containing insults directed at me then please don't be surprise if I retaliate again but using words that actually reflects your true character. I warned you before about your language. Now this is your second warning.

11. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

WARN ALL YOU LIKE TROLL

YOUR Join date 18th Oct 2011.. and 98% your posts are in this thread or the other HDD thread move on Troll

They did notify there customers, the distributors.. your not Seagates customer. Your the resellers

12. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

Not really, none of the Tech Manufacturers inform the consumer given that the majority of customers are OEMs. At least that's a AFAIK anyway :D

13. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

1+ to that.
    As this thread is about "storage HDD prices".
    Why don’t we just keep to helpful information a long the lines of, "here’s were to buy the cheapest drive today" or "I did xy or z and that got me a cheap drive".
    Plus added in a little good news info as and when we find it form reputable sources.

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

WD 1TB Green - $129.99 (the difference in code is because this is retail packaging which is pretty much never sold in Europe):
    http://store.westerndigital.com/sto...tegory.53280500/parid.13092500/catid.13094900
    WD 2TB Green - $159.99:
    http://store.westerndigital.com/sto...tegory.21536200/parid.13092500/catid.13094900
    WD Caviar Black 2TB - $229.99:
    http://store.westerndigital.com/sto...tegory.41760500/parid.13092500/catid.13094900

European price - convert to EUR/GBP add 20% VAT on top of it :
    $129.99 @ EUR = 94.50€ + 20% = 113.4€ / 97.11 GBP vs £105.58 for WD10EARX at Scan
    $159.99 @ EUR = 116.31€ + 20% = 139.57€ / 119.52 GBP vs £138.24 for WD20EARX at Scan
    $229.99 @ EUR = 167.20€ + 20% = 200.64€ / 171.82 GBP vs £213.84 for WD2002FAEX at Scan.

Of course there is a price difference, but we talk about direct sales from the manufacturer (USD prices) vs going through at least 3-4 hops until it reaches pretty much any EU shop (manufacturer, manufacturers major EU distributor - usually 1-3 in whole EU, distributor in specific country, shop).
    And now please try me explain how can WD20EARX directly from manufacturer, which i bough for 75€ a bit more than a month ago now cost 139.57€ including VAT from manufacturers store, if manufacturer didn't increase the price ?

Edit:
    Or let's see Seagate store:
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/internal-storage/barracuda-5900-kit/

2TB Green drive is $149.99 = 93.38 GBP * 1.2 = 112.05 GBP vs £143.98 at Scan.
    Again, how can it be 112.05 GBP / 130.84€ directly from manufacturer, if they didn't increase the price and they were sold around 70-80€ in European retail shops before ?

Ratchet219 likes this.
  15. Xir

Xir Modder

Sooo,
    this is a good time to sell my 2x 80GB WD raid-drives, no?
    Hardly been running for the last 8 years :lol:

wow...had to edit...they're much smaller than I thought :D

16. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Had seen WD Black 1TB drives for around £60 prior to the price increase, had a look today, around £180 at some places, WTH?

I better pull out my old 20Gb LOL.

17. getDownShep

getDownShep What's a Dremel?

Any ideas when they might come back down in price?

18. Another_level

As I've stated before, according to the information in the financial domain manufacturers have added between 25-40% to the costs of HDDs. The prices we are seeing on the Western Digital website are consistent with this information.

Normally, we would expect the prices on the official Western Digital store to be the most expensive around like most official store websites. But actually they have the cheapest prices in this present climate and so enhances claims of profiteering by the distribution channels.

19. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Actually, the prices shown by faugusztin indicate that WD and Seagate have upped their prices by more like 80%, not 20-40%. Which means increases from retailers are not that excessive, given that they do not have even 10% of the original stock levels available to them. OK, "street" prices are increased by more than 80%, but overall profit margins are still a lot lower than they were before the crisis.

Personally, I have taken this opportunity to buy a couple of SSDs, where prices are relatively stable. In a few days, my time to load Windows will be faster than the time it takes my computer to POST and get as far as starting to load Windows. So the price changes have done me a favour, in performance terms :)

20. Another_level

http://store.westerndigital.com/sto...217300,52242400/parid.13832000/catid.13832600

Debs, I've been tracking the prices at this site during the HDDs Thai flood crisis so I know the prices haven't increased at the same rate in other retail stores.

Also, it seems Scan's prices on HDDs have fallen recently and hopefully there would be further price cuts to come.

Good luck to your SSD purchase. I've bought mine last week and hopefully I'll be in a position to build my PC this week once all of the components have arrived.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.