1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SSD's-Boot or Cache? Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikeyandrewb, 12 Nov 2011.

1. mikeyandrewb

mikeyandrewb What's a Dremel?

Hi all,
    I am building a PC and wondered about using an SSD to speed things up. I will post a full spec list later on when I have finalized everything but I wondered about using an SSD.

Should I install Windows on an SSD when I build, or use Intel's SSD Caching(Smart Response Technology)?

I could always install the SSD as a Cache later if I wanted too, but if I wanted to install Windows in the first place I would have to do it during build. I will also be getting a Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB to store everything else.

Also what size SSD would I need? Would a 64GB do or would I need bigger?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4329/intel-z68-chipset-smart-response-technology-ssd-caching-review/2

Any Suggestions?

Many Thanks
    Mike :D

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Boot. Crucial 64GB M4.

3. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

What is your budget?

4. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

Main thing about Intel's SSD Caching is that its designed to save money buy allowing you to use a 20, 40 or 60gb SSD paired with your large drive.
    So if you can afford a SSD that’s big enough to use as your main drive, then do that, as it will be faster.
    If not getting a cheap but fast say 40gb SSD will allow you to get close to full SSD performance but at less money (depending on how big an SSD you would of needed).

5. mikeyandrewb

mikeyandrewb What's a Dremel?

Ok,
    Thanks for the response. I will not have enough money for a full sized SSD but as a 64GB one is only around £70 I could get one of those. I could squeeze a Windows install onto the 64GB but I would have to migrate all the libraries to the HDD. Which sort of defeats the point. With the SSD Caching I could keep all the Windows Stuff on the HDD and accelerate everything else.

Thanks
    Mike

6. halcyondays

halcyondays What's a Dremel?

When I built my rig, using a 40Gb SSD (hate being an early adopter) I installed the key windows files on the SSD and then used an unattend.xml file to customise the install and put the \users folder on a HDD partition. I also and 2 other partitions on the HDD for 32 and 64 bit programs and created a mount to these under the program files(x86) and program files directories, so bigger installs I just put into program files\hdd rather than just program files. works well and stops the ssd swelling in size other than from patches

7. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Have main OS on 64GB drive, with office, bits and bobs and a few games. Would say it's fine, especially if you get friendly with Directory Junctions...

Tags: