1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice plug question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kolofan, 18 Nov 2011.

1. kolofan

kolofan What's a Dremel?

Hello, this is a very simple question. Is it a problem if the pc plug cable (from mains into pc) is longer than normal? Will it impact performance or safety?

I would like to use 5m

Thanks

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

So long as you're not plugging it into a 1200Watt+ PSU and so long as it's a good cable, not cheap, thin crap; it'll be perfectly safe.

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

My knowledge of electrical circuitry is limited, so how come plugging into a 1200W PSU would affect anything? :)

4. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

The problem is high current running through a long cable causes it the heat up, this could be dangerous as it could over heat the plug/socket and the psu has to work harder to draw the current making it hotter too.

Sent from Bittech Android app

yassarikhan786 and noizdaemon666 like this.
  5. noizdaemon666

I hadn't thought of it like that. Cheers MrDomRocks :thumb: Would 5A be classed as high current in this situation?

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

It will probably be ok, the point is using something with a high draw with a long cable isn't the best option at all, might be ok for awhile but not long term, 5 metres might be ok but no longer than that. Oh and why so long a cable?

Sent from Bittech Android app

7. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

What about using a surge protector with a long cable? I think that would be the better option or will that affect how hard the PSU will have to work (Question for MrDomRocks)?

8. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Well I'm using a four socket exstension with monitor, computer, phone charger and homeplug connected to it with no problems.

I check the plug connected to the mains socket every few days whilst things are turned on just to check that it's not over heating.

Surge protection is to stop a large amount of current going up the cable into a device. As a computer is usually always plugged in to some form of power source this is always a good idea.

I don't think it would be a problem running a five metre cable to the computer just be aware that the psu then has to draw more current to power the system.

9. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

You will be fine! If you are worried then buy 2.5mm^2 cable :)

10. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

A C13 connector and 1mm sq cable are rated at 10A so is good for anything up to a fully loaded 1800W PSU in the UK which has 230V mains supply(assuming 80% or better efficiency). For our American friends with 110V mains they should only be running a fully loaded 1100W PSU through a C13 connector.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2011
  11. westom

westom What's a Dremel?

A PC with a 1200 watt supply typically draws between 100 and 200 watts. Never more than 300 watts. The 1200 watt supply exists mostly when a computer assembler does not have basic electrical knowledge. Oversizing so at to not have to learn numbers.

How often is your computer outputting heat like a four slice toaster? It's not for one simple reason. A PC is not drawing anywhere near 1000 watts. But urban myths tell so many that they need 1200 watt supplies.

If a 5 meter power cord causes problems, then long wire inside walls from receptacle to the electric meter also causes problems. Of course, this means the 5 meter wire is properly sized so as to be approved for safety.

12. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

SLI and crossfired rigs with heavy overclocks can easily breach the 800 watt range. even my i5-750 and 5870 can pull 400 watts if both loaded with heavy loads. saying "never over 300 watts" is a pretty bold statement.

that said, your average PC will be well under 400 watts for most of its life. in other words less than 4 amps which is nothing. you could carry that through one of those ugly "grandma style" extension cords, although i always recommend getting the highest gauge wire available (better to go overkill on cords than underkill).

[​IMG]
    ("grandma style" extension cord)

ive got my UPS, which powers the 2 rigs in my signature plus their 4 monitors, plugged into a single 15' extension cord, but its a 4 gauge cord rated at 15 amps which means my 900 watt UPS will kick into overload and then the 15 amp circuit breaker will trip before this cable starts to melt :D

13. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

Thanks for reminding me that the US uses a lower mains voltage than the UK. I have updated my previous post.

It does raise an interesting point. The connector to the computer in the UK is an IEC60320 C13 which is nominally rated at 10A. Given that the largest power supplies on the market are 1500W which would have an input current of around 13.5A in the US do these power supplies still use a C13?

14. longweight

So much fail.

15. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

Try running 3 480GTXs in SLI on a 500 watt PSU :/

16. noizdaemon666

I'm pretty sure even my mid range computer draws more than 200-300W from the socket at full load lol

17. longweight

I think his comment is about PC's from the 1990's!

18. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

hello,
    as long as the cable is nice and thick, and not got any coils in it, you should be good to go.

19. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

every power supply ive ever bought does, but my largest to date is only 750 watts.

20. westom

westom What's a Dremel?

Feelings are irrelevant. Either current is measured. Or you do not know. The term "I'm pretty sure" suggests wild speculation. Tools to do that are sold in stores that market even to 13 year olds. These tools costs $5, $25 or £7. Too many know a computer consumes as much power as a toaster because they feel? Because others told them? Then 1000 watts of heat means keeping hands away from something as hot as a toaster. Only relevant 'feeling' is heat felt by a hand. All other knowledge comes from numbers. Measurements; actual numbers; not speculation.

That power cord is many times larger than what any desktop would consume.