1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Advice needed...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by banzai, 29 Mar 2003.

1. banzai

banzai What's a Dremel?

Im planning on building a custom plexi on steel/aluminum case. Will it have a cool effect? Or would it be easier just to paint the inside of the plexi? Or should I use regular painted plastic instead of metal?

Could someone who has done something similar, share his experience?

2. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

3. banzai

banzai What's a Dremel?

I have browsed the galleries, maybe not much. But have'nt found a case that is similar to my idea.
    But thanks anyway ;)

4. linear

linear Minimodder

Acrylic is one of my favorite materials.

It is easy to machine, you can thermoform it (heat it up and bend it), it comes in a zillion thicknesses and colors so you really never need to paint it unless you want some special fx, and if you do want some special fx, well, it just rocks for that since it is so clear (the clear types anyhow).

Epoxy bonds poorly to acrylic, so adhering stuff to the inside of acrylic panels is tough. But mechanical fasteners (screws, rivets) work great. Masking/painting acrylic sheet is also a great effect.

Start small. Do test pieces that prove your techniques. Build a small box from scrap just for practice. Work on your bends and corners and joints.

Keep asking questions, and welcome to the boards.