1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Hardware Lagging on Games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ednismod, 22 Nov 2011.

1. ednismod

ednismod Minimodder

Hi Guys,

I just finished building my new machine. Well, it took me 8 months to get every piece of its hardware so I am kinda pissed with facing this problem. I am currently having a problem with games, and sometimes on desktop. I am experiencing lagging for few seconds and sometimes freeze at certain points. I checked to see if its the battery from my wireless mouse and keyboard, so I changed 'em, but no luck there.

Here's my current setup:

Processor : Intel i5 2500K (non-overclocked)
    CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212+
    Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M PRO
    RAM Modules: 2gbx2 G.Skill 1600Mhz
    Hard Drive: 2x160GB Seagate/Maxtor 7200RPM on RAID0 (Suspect, kinda?)
    Graphisc Card: Sapphire HD6850 Toxic Edition

I don't even know if this is the right forum, please bear with me. Many thanks.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2011
  2. happyhammer7

happyhammer7 What's a Dremel?

Have you installed all the latest drivers?

If so, run the manufacturers diagnostic tool for the hard drive, and memtest to test the RAM.

3. ednismod

ednismod Minimodder

Yes, I did install all necessary and updated drivers. But I will try the memtest and diagnostic tools tomorrow. Thanks for your response.

4. ednismod

ednismod Minimodder

Hi Guys,

Any other suggestions? Aside from what was already advised?

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Sounds like a latency issue.
    To check if you have a latency problem (btw, it's not hard to fix, if you have it I'll explain), run this program. All bars should be 100% green, even under load.
    http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Also, when you build your computer, in the BIOS, did you load "Load Optimize defaults". If not, do that (don't forget to set your RAID if it looses the config, SATA controller mode). And make sure your RAM actually goes at 1600MHz. If it does not. Look somewhere in the bios (should be under the memory section) for eXtreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) (or something similar), and make sure your set it's value to Profile 1 (not default).

6. The Protocol

The Protocol What's a Dremel?

If Saphhire have skimped on the voltage for their factory OC then you could try bumping that up. It could also be a memory issue as mentioned or even your motherboard's NB chipset equivalent, I know on my Forumula IV having the NB beyond 3.1Ghz causes the cursor to freeze under load when running Prime

7. ednismod

ednismod Minimodder

I am using the same RAM model that you have on your signature. Only... I used 2 modules, since the motherboard does not support triple channel.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

So is your RAM running at 1.65v?

If so drop it to 1.5v.

9. GoodBytes

It doesn't mater what you are using. What maters is your BIOS configuration.
    If not set right.. you can easily turn a a Fancy 3.4 GHZ processor, doesn't to 800MHz. (lucky that the BIOS these days can detect many things for us. But not memory with modern Intel processors based motherboards. Go figure.)

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Actually, you know, I have an Asus motherboard, and now and again (probably twice a week) my system will hang. It doesn't need a reset, but it will become unresponsive for about 1 minute, before picking itself up again. Doesn't happen during games really, just during Windows desktop. I'll bet that's a RAM issue as well.

The reason I suggested dropping the RAM voltage is because my board kept defaulting to 1.65v and locking up during Prime 95 tests. I'm going to have a play with the RAM timings/speed/profiles etc and see if I can solve the issue. Trouble is, it seems almost random, so I won't know if its solved for a week or so.

11. ednismod

ednismod Minimodder

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I used the DRAM timings from the sticker, and the speed to 1600Mhz from the sticker as well. That includes setting the 1.5v manually. I will observe and see what happens in a few hours or so. Hey, does setting 1600MHz means I also need to overclock the Processor or just leave it that way? I mean on auto mode, hehe.

12. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

Nope, you should be able to leave it as it is for now, but once you're done troubleshooting you should OC it for a terrific performance boost on processor intensive programs and games :)

13. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Windows updates are causing your problem,

14. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Fancy being more helpful, for example saying why you know this? Or which update would have done this?
    You cant really know without alot more information.

15. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Just a quick question regarding latency I ran DPC Latency Checker and I have a spike into the yellow area. Is that usual?

16. Somer_Himpson

I had this exact issue recently.
    reinstalled all drivers, checked temps, threw every benchmark I know at my cards, even physically re-assmebled the PC (Check pics in other post on here for fastidiousness of build...I am a cable tidy maniac!)

Nothing.
    It would just randomly reboot in games only after not long in...in Windows..would stay on forever.
    Found a thread (Which I can't bloody re-find!) with many many people who have had the same issue. When I did this install, I installed Windows, immediately disabled the Windows update service and I haven't had a problem since. (Finally enjoying Battlefield!)
    I even installed IE 9 the other day...zip..crashes aghain.
    No blue screens, just hard freezes where you have to reset.
    wuengupdate in event viewer led me to the thread I can't find.
    Everything fine in my world now.

17. GoodBytes

Yea disabling Windows Update is really idiotic.
    The system is busted in way or another.. including faulty engineering on the motherboard or a certain part. The system should be up and operation without workarounds.

18. Somer_Himpson

Nothing I tried worked for me.
    Now I am happily playing the games for which I put the PC together for in the 1st place.

19. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Exactly, if id had this problem with no identification as to fault id send my entire system back and get them tl replace or fix it. Windows update for a reason and whilst a work around is ok ahprt term long term its not

20. GoodBytes

Agreed that is what I would have as well. I would also change brands for everything as a re-order my computer, just in case.