1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pen collection

Discussion in 'General' started by longweight, 23 Nov 2011.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I was thinking '£500 for a pen, WTF!?' but actually I now think it's a good thing (although part of me is still thinking £500 WTF!? :), each to their own though).

Many of us have forgotten how to write properly and are left trolling with keyboards. There's something reassuring in the thought of a writing bureau, some fine paper and a top quality pen.

Pics of what you decide on.

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Hmm I want to use the Ink but I can see that it must be a hassle! Maybe I will get a bottle initially and then switch once the novelty has worn off!

3. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

It has been ages since I used a fountain pen, but I do love MB pens. Alas I have never had the spare cash to get a proper MB so I just hack other pens to accept MB cartridges. I have probably spent nearly $500 on refills over the past several years. For what its worth, I vote go with cartridges instead of a bottle as it is much easier to switch that out in the middle of a writing session.

Alas tonight I just stumbled across my very first "nice" writing implement. I had lost it and just barely had found it when doing some cleaning. It was heavily chipped with a sizable dent in the side of it...:sigh:

At least it was just a $100 waterman.

Oh well with my new found knowledge of composites perhaps it is time I make something more fitting of my personality.

4. longweight

Oh dear! I am very much looking forward to owning a really nice fountain, I currently have a cross fountain pen which I bought for ~£50 which is ok but not amazing....

5. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

I misread the title of this thread slightly...

Also, £500 for a pen? The mind boggles. I'd rather buy Lego.

6. longweight

Then you are very free to do that!

The £500 also allows for a triple leather pouch at £110 so only have £390 for pen ;)

7. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

I plan to, actually. In all honesty, this isn't the most outrageous thing I've ever heard. Collectors always value things far higher than the average person anyway.

That being said, even at £390 it had best be the pen that Terry Pratchet used to write his first novel or something.

8. longweight

It's something special for my 25th and I will use it everyday. I also attend client meetings on a regular basis and it is nice to pull out some awesome pens!

9. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

+1.

By default anything I write on paper is always all capitals

After many years working in various restaurants and hotels I have lost the ability to write in lower case, due to writing orders in uppercase so chefs and other staff can always read the order. If I do try to write properly it's very hard for anyone but myself to read.

10. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Personally I'm happy with anything that puts ink on the page and only on the page.

Unfortunately my £3 cheapo fountain pen has started leaking badly so I'm forced to use my only-very-slightly-nicer Lamby for which cartridges are harder to come by.

It seems a bit silly with me doing maths with all the notation using a fountain pen.

Anyway, I ctrl-f'ed 'penisland' and was dissapoint. Why has no-one mentioned this wonderful website yet! (Although it seems they've dissapeared now)

11. longweight

So no big collectors here? After the flashlight and lighter collection threads I would have thought there would be a few!

12. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

I used to have a small MB collection, but I only have my 100th anniversary fountain left now! I know that's no help to your question, but at least you're not the only person here who doesn't find expensive pens weird :hehe:

13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I wouldn't have been surprised until I happened across some My Little Pony fans on here.

If they're here there's surely a fan of everything somewhere on the fourms.

14. Ragesh

Ragesh What's a Dremel?

If you are into sophisticated pens you might wanna check

www.carandache.ch/

They do quite nice writing tools, however a little on the pretentious side.

The page is in german, but should be easy enough to navigate :)

I am in no way affiliated with them btw, although this is my first post.. been a silent reader for years now.

15. Blue Fiend

Blue Fiend What's a Dremel?

I am a pen collecter. Who fouces on vintage pens (Parker 51 is best pen). If anyone is looking for a special pen go get a nakaya. http://www.nakaya.org/eindex.html Montblanc tend to be overpriced now for the performance you get and some problems do develop such as things like the piston not working that well or the nib having a slow start and are generally more unreliable than normal and some people have had them break into pieces after they dropped it which are unfixable.

I would suggest a pelikan or a sailor instead. If you have to get a montblanc go and buy a vintage one which will be more reliable than a new one. I would get a pelikan or a sailor instead which will be more reliable than a new montblanc. . Also bare in mind that Montblanc and Pelkian tend to make piston pens which mean bottle ink only but are only bested for ink capsity by eyedropper pens. Also bare in mind that the nibs are on montblanc are hard to replace. If you want user replaceable nibs go get a pelikan. Also consider a pilot pen. You may have to import from japan though.

As for what model to get from pelikan or sailor. (I am going to presume you getting the 146 or 149 from montblanc)I would get the m800 from pelikan due to the m1000 is a bit large from every day use (Appers your going to use it every day) And from sailor any 1911 large will do. For pilot just get any pen that fits in price range. You could also get a cheap pen to use as a travel pen. (Parker 51 or hero 100)

Last edited: 25 Nov 2011
  16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I don't find the cost of them surprising. My Porsche design set are worth a few hundred, and they're only a simple rollerball, mech pencil and ballpoint. I'm sorry I can't make some nice suggestions for you! I'd love to see some pics of whatever you decide on though :)

17. longweight

Thanks for the tips, do you have any pictures of your collection?

And thanks Unicorn, I will post some pictures of what I do end up getting!

18. K404

K404 It IS cold and it IS fast

Almost tempted to send you my address and ask you to write me a letter when you get the pen :D I don't care if you ramble on about mushrooms for 4 paragraphs, it's come from a £400 pen, of course it'll be awesome!!!

(no pressure) :D

I do all my OC notes by hand. A lot of guys use Excel, but I'm happy to praktiss mai letarz :)

I'm a lefty. A pic that uses actual proper INK would be wasted on me

19. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Not really my subject but at one point weren't Sheaffer the fountain pens of choice. i know years ago my Mum used to love them

20. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I use these two both Parkers they was my fathers

[​IMG]

@ Jeff yea I had a Sheaffer fountain pen when I was at school They was the dogs danglies in their time