1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Bulking up

Discussion in 'General' started by GAVI, 4 Aug 2011.

1. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

good going dude

i lost 2 inchs and still weigh the same 10kilos, which means i have gained some mass.
    Also need bigger shirt size now ;)

Been hard recently, hurt my foot and been traveling. Need to get back into it.
    Also changing from 4 days a week to 3 days of training, need to get some rest in and relax at home for a bit.

Also going back to the 5x5 routine which for me was a great mass gainer.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Give it a bit of time I suppose, I haven't really lost much weight, but I have gained enough muscle to balance it out. Coupled with good dieting. It's been going good. Sadly my cardio neglect slows me down just a tad.

Thus far, I've been doing mostly upper body and the occaisional leg excercise.

Routine goes like this: 15min Jump Rope or 2-3 Miles of Running. Then Max Set of pullups (~20), 50 situps/Leg Lifts, 30 Bicep Curls (15lbs each), 30 Lifts (30 lbs), and 30 30lbs chest weights. Repeat 3x minus the running part.

I probably should do 5 sets, but it pretty much gets my upper body well enough. As for legs, I do lunges w/ weights.

3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Great news Warren and Elton. How you been finding the running Elton?

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I've been bulking since August and was sharing my progress with Steve via PM. I haven't been following a strict diet mostly because the birth of my son threw me of course a little, but I have been managing to train regularly and consistently despite my lack of sleep, which has really made it hard. I do three or four 45 minute sessions per week.

If my strength continues to improve I'll be going on a weight loss diet at the turn of the year and I'll keep you all informed - it'll be a gruelling ordeal of self-deprivation, but worth it for the sake of my health and wellbeing. My current weight is 200lbs and I hope to lose a stone, give or take 1 or 2lbs. :thumb:

5. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

great motivation, i find diet is the hardest thing for me rather then training. need to stick to it.
    today its out of the window, off to the german markets for a hot dog and a night out drinking, sometimes i just have to do it. But after that training hard.

keep up the good work :thumb:

LennyRhys likes this.
  6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Elton, how often you doing that, daily?
    And what kinda routine you been doing Warren?

7. Elton

Great actually.

And I do it 3-4 times a week if I'm not busy. And if I am, then at least twice a week. The most time consuming thing is the Running, although I sometimes substitute it for jump rope if only because I don't feel compelled to do it.

Note to everyone, dieting is quite essential.

8. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

So. 12 Months On. How are we all doing?

I've gone from 15st 6lbs to 11st 3lbs. And will be taking part in some charity runs this year and the Birmingham North Run.

LennyRhys likes this.
  9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I have put on MAYBE half a kilo, which is not bad considering that I did not do any special diets (Tried Whey protein, but found that it screws my digestion for days), and that I did mostly machines.
    Started a new regime now that works with free weights exclusively, and found that to really work me hard.
    Going to start running in the mornings the moment this cold I have buggers off to get my cardio in.
    Other than that, Gym 4 days a week, plus one optional day for Squash.

That said: I have gone from "scrawny and tall" to "skinny and tall", which is a step int he right direction.
    Visible abs, more visible pectorals, slightly bigger arms... Progress... :)

10. Elton

Lost about 10lbs, waist shrunk about 2 sizes. This is mainly due to me not consistently doing it. But I'm defintively much healthier than I was last year. :)

11. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Have not really read the thread fully ( Just briefly ) but just thought I would weigh in with my knowledge on the subject.

Just noticed a lot of chat about running in the thread even though its titled bulking up.
    If you are looking to build muscle mass & bulk up I would suggest the following.

High protein meals - many chicken breasts, fridge raiders, chick peas, cotage cheese etc

Hypertrophy training - 8-10 reps of around 70-80% of your 1 rep max on specific exercise

Few Example Exercises

Bench Press
    Shoulder Press
    Dips
    Pull Ups
    Squats & Deadlifts (These are very technique based)
    Incline Bench
    Dumbbell Lunges

Protein Consumed after every session

For bulking up protein is what the muscles need to repair. If your training 3 times a week you should be consuming 20 - 30g of protein after every session. Along with a high protein diet.

I train 5 times a week 3 gym sessions and 2 rugby training sessions. So I know a fair bit but im in no way a expert. If you have any other questions i would gladly try and help.

Burning fat i would suggest running, running and more running. Diets to me make no sense have never understood them. Just eat healthy and exercise. My poblem and the greatest hurdle is DRINK.....God damn beer. try to cut it out as much as possible. Thats what kills me ha.

Bill

12. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

The thread did start with bulking up, but evolved into a general fitness thread.

I am glad you have got involved though.

I haven't bulked up per-say. I was however healthier in April/May of this year which I need to get back to.

Mainly cardio for me, I do little weights as i'm training for the Birmingham Half Marathon. I will be starting my weight training in October to try and bulk up a little on top.

13. Elton

I need to do more cardio. Muscle mass wise I've built up a decent amount. But Cardio wise, not so much.

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Well, my body always had SUPER low fat percentages... 10% perhaps almost a year ago.
    nowadays I am running MUCH lower than that (haven't been to a dietician, but I'd hazard to guess around 5-7%, which is pretty darn low).
    As I said - Visible abs, etc.
    I don't really care what a scale tells me either, so long as I look less scrawny and more fit, I am happy.
    I am going to be doing this for a while still (for starters - another year at least), and I am sure that I'll get even fitter in that time, especially if I add more Cardio into the mix. At present, I am OK with playing 4 or 5 sets of squash once a week, but by next year I want to play league, and I need to seriously up my stamina for that.

15. Elton

The key really is to ignore the scale. Because honestly, the scale isn't a very accurate indicator of how fit you really are.

I mean i dropped 20lbs. Then gained back about 15 in muscle mass. It was awesome.

16. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I could do with gaining about 15 in musle in my upper half. I am to do this over the winter period ready for summer 2013, because, let's face it, Summer 2012 was crap.

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Gaining some bulk is definitely on the table this year.
    Also: getting more sun.
    I live in Africa, damnit! I can't be blinding people when I visit my family at the coast and take off my shirt. :p

18. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Hang on, this is Bit-tech, isn't it...

[​IMG]

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I would, but your monitor can't handle the whites... :p

20. NigelT

NigelT What's a Dremel?

I've put on about 3kg's in a year and a half, now at 80kgs. Still pretty slim, 32 waist, visable abs, good definition. All my lifts have gone through the roof:

Flat Bench 90kg 4 reps
    Squat 120kg 3 reps
    Deadlift 150kg 2 reps (grip fails)
    OHP 60kg 4 reps
    BOR 75kg 4 reps
    Pull ups 4 sets of 8 reps

My main struggle is growing my back and I'd like slightly bigger arms, but I've had to throw out some T's as they are now to tight on the arms so it's not all bad.

My biggest tips are don't be afraid to eat, just not total junk. I'm pretty strict through the week then have a kinda cheat meal on saturdays where I have whatever I please. As said try before try and moderate alcohol intake. Make sure you work legs, running/playing sport alone isn't enough if you want to get bigger. I wish I'd learnt that years ago. Get plenty of sleep. Go as heavy as you can with decent form.